What can you tell me about NCL Star?

ottawapuppy

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Star last March for a Mexican Riviera cruise and loved it. Prior to that, my only NCL cruise was onboard the Sky (which I loved). I think the Star does have more to offer... It is newer and larger. IMO she was in great shape and did not really notice any wear and tear.

We too were on the 03/20/10 cruise to the MR.

The Star shows some slight signs of wear, but the staff and crew more than make up for it.

The Star has the friendliest crew that we've seen.

I do have to admit though, we've only sailed on NCL, as we've always been pleased with the service and comfort.

Somehow, we have ended up on her several times: Hawaii, Pacific Coastal, Mexican Riviera and a weekend cruise. We have booked one of the new suites on 12 for next fall's repo from Vancouver. I was never really one to hang out in the Spinnaker so I am not worried about the change. The great views from the suite should make up for it!

I agree about the friendly folks on board, they are the best.

Although we have always had a nice experience on other NCL ships as well.

And the Cagney's perk is just about the best in the business!

Thanks for all the feedback regarding my questions.

We have booked room 8170, an aft corner Penthouse suite on NCL Star. Looking at it now, it strikes me now that this room might be a bit small, considering they are calling it a "suite". The balcony seems really narrow. We're getting cold feet and are wondering if we should downgrade.

Has anyone here tried one of these corner aft rooms on Star? Were these refreshed as part of the renovation this past summer? (Any photos I can find are pre-renovation.)

Thanks again, you're all swell!

Mike

Mike, if you have not seen these photos, take a look, really nice of the Star. From the website, look to the right and pick the NCL star I and II..Dona

http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/

Yes, that site is bookmarked. Great pictures and good description of the changes.

Thanks for mentioning it!

MIke

Does anyone know if any changes were made to the buffet?

Thanks

The La Trattoria is no longer there in the evenings. It was eliminated, and the Italian restaurant is now named La Cuccina and is in the location that used to be the Soho on deck six. Soho is gone.

Otherwise, the Market Cafe (buffet)is the same.

That's too bad, we've become accustomed to getting access to the sauna and steam for free.

Do your remember what the passes cost?

Mike

Ditto, also want to know the price of day pass and week pass for spa. I recall someone saying they had a special for couples at the start of the cruise...$150 maybe. Also, any specials during the tours of the spa for passes? Look forward to response.

we decided one last cruise on our beloved STAR before she moves to Tampa and then we will see the changes to her for ourselves...altho we know we will be missing the Blue Lagoon as it was and definitely the change in the Spinnaker...i LOVED it with all the windows, dont think i will like where it is now...but we will see in Feb!!

We have sailed on the Star twice now. I liked both trips but was heartbroken to hear that they moved the Spinnaker lounge to the back of the ship. We will not sail on her again because of this. The wife and I would go up there and sit and watch the scenery go by especailly in Alaska where it can be cold out. I would take another ship. We have been on 8 NCL cruises, 3 Princess, 2 Holland America and 2 Celebrity so we have a fairly experienced view of what is good and what to avoid.

Thanks for all the feedback regarding my questions.

We have booked room 8170, an aft corner Penthouse suite on NCL Star. Looking at it now, it strikes me now that this room might be a bit small, considering they are calling it a "suite". The balcony seems really narrow. We're getting cold feet and are wondering if we should downgrade.

Has anyone here tried one of these corner aft rooms on Star? Were these refreshed as part of the renovation this past summer? (Any photos I can find are pre-renovation.)

Thanks again, you're all swell!

Mike

I'm surprised that no one has answered this.

Altough I cannot vouch for any aft suites (we've always booked a forward suite), what I can say, from our experiences with NCL, is that one would be hard pressed to go wrong by booking a suite. Any suite. The "suite life" on NCL has always been great for us!

You'll never go back!

Even if you hardly use the butler or the concierge (which in our case is unlikely), Cagney's alone is very nearly worth the additional price!

I'm surprised that no one has answered this.

Altough I cannot vouch for any aft suites (we've always booked a forward suite), what I can say, from our experiences with NCL, is that one would be hard pressed to go wrong by booking a suite. Any suite. The "suite life" on NCL has always been great for us!

You'll never go back!

Even if you hardly use the butler or the concierge (which in our case is unlikely), Cagney's alone is very nearly worth the additional price!

I think the balconies are relatively narrow...loungers probably fit sideways...be forewarned that it is right over the new Spinnaker and when that change first happened, some folks on Deck 8 aft were upset with the noise. We had booked the port corner on Deck 9 for an upcoming Panama Canal cruise, but just changed to an AA FWD. You might want to read some of the old posts from right after the drydock that happened when the Olympics Hotel fizzled.

I think the balconies are relatively narrow...loungers probably fit sideways...be forewarned that it is right over the new Spinnaker and when that change first happened, some folks on Deck 8 aft were upset with the noise.

EEEE...don't like that. Being over a lounge is scary. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike

I think the balconies are relatively narrow...loungers probably fit sideways...be forewarned that it is right over the new Spinnaker and when that change first happened, some folks on Deck 8 aft were upset with the noise. We had booked the port corner on Deck 9 for an upcoming Panama Canal cruise, but just changed to an AA FWD. You might want to read some of the old posts from right after the drydock that happened when the Olympics Hotel fizzled.

We were on the Star in September in an AA (1056? ...the Van Gogh Suite) for the MR cruise, and although it had both a forward facing balcony and a side facing balcony, we spent very little time forward. There is no shade, and the wind can be fierce. If we left the forward hatch door open, our cabin would pressurize to the extent that it was difficult to open the hallway door.

The side balcony afforded us shade, as well a lot of shelter from the wind.

Either balcony was large enough for 6-8 people.

They had just closed the Spinnaker, (it was still boarded off), so we cannot comment on any noise. (As there was none!)

From the tenth deck our side balcony looked directly up into the bridge.

Each morning I would stand on our balcony with a cup of coffee, and one of the officers and I would smile, wave, and nod to one another.

On NCL, a balcony in a suite is most certainly different than a "non-suite" balcony.

Our adult children sailed with us in inside cabins dirrectly accross the hall, and our side balcony alone was larger than their entire cabin.

Has anyone heard anything lately about noise in the deck eight AE's? A friend of mine just booked 8670 which is port corner AE. It was the only AE left and I have not heard anyone complain about the noise since about March, but maybe no one on CC has booked those cabins since then.:confused: I would be curious if anyone has stayed in one of the AE's on eight and what they thought about the noise. I thought I had read that NCL was going to work on the sound proofing.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's comments. We have heard some bad things about rooms just over Spinakers, and we have decided to change rooms from 8170 to the Romance Suite 10726.

Anyone have any pictures of that room since the renovation?

Someone mentioned that the beds can not be separated in this room. Is that true? If that is true, is it a queen or a king sized bed? (I know, I know...why be in a romance suite with separate beds...!)

Mike

Thanks for everyone's comments. We have heard some bad things about rooms just over Spinakers, and we have decided to change rooms from 8170 to the Romance Suite 10726.

Anyone have any pictures of that room since the renovation?

Someone mentioned that the beds can not be separated in this room. Is that true? If that is true, is it a queen or a king sized bed? (I know, I know...why be in a romance suite with separate beds...!)

Mike

Are the two aft suites on deck 9 available (9232 and 9732)? I've read where people really like the wrap-around balcony. This is the same suite you originally had booked but up one deck and should have problems with the Spinnaker Lounge from deck 7.

Hi...I have stayed in 10726 on the Star and it was a great cabin. The Bed is a Queen. The view from the Aft is wonderful and the Deck is quite large. It is much larger than Deck 8 and 9. On my last Cruise on the Star was ;)through the Panama Canal I stayed in a Penthouse on Deck 9 and the Balcony was huge. We met a couple...BSR and they had a wraparound Balcony and we got to see it and it is much smaller than Deck 10 so you make a good change. You will love it also because you are at the back of the Ship and there are fewer people walking by. Have a great Cruise.:D

We are going to be on the Star for the Feb. 5th sailing. We had a cruise on the Splendor booked for the 6th and it got cancelled this morning. We were on the Star Jan. 2009 before it was renovated. Does anyone know where the Blue Lagoon was relocated to, hopefully it is still there!:confused: As well does anyone know how the teen club and kids clubs are? Our last time on the boat it was just hubby and I. This time it will be my 3 daughters 13,7 and 6. They are a little concerned they won't have fun. I have a lot of research to do between now and when we cruise Feb. 5th since until today I was going to be on the Carnival Splendor any help would be great!:)

We are going to be on the Star for the Feb. 5th sailing. We had a cruise on the Splendor booked for the 6th and it got cancelled this morning. We were on the Star Jan. 2009 before it was renovated. Does anyone know where the Blue Lagoon was relocated to, hopefully it is still there!:confused: As well does anyone know how the teen club and kids clubs are? Our last time on the boat it was just hubby and I. This time it will be my 3 daughters 13,7 and 6. They are a little concerned they won't have fun. I have a lot of research to do between now and when we cruise Feb. 5th since until today I was going to be on the Carnival Splendor any help would be great!:)

The Star still hass the Blue Lagoon, but it was moved to deck 8 and occupies the area that was formerly half of the Endless Summer (Tex-Mex). Food is still good, and the atmosphere is greatly improved by being out of the main stream of foot traffic.

Archived