Am I mistaken ?

Ykgorbie

Yeah - if you're coming back on to the ship from a day of shopping, they do the whole x-ray deal again. If they see that you have alcohol, they will tell you to bring it to the alcohol check-in desk which is usually about 10 feet behind the x-ray machines. You get the stuff back on the last night of the cruise.

Now, sometimes they may miss something altogether. Sometimes you may forget that they told you to go to the alcohol desk and you slip into the elevator by accident. Or sometimes you may buy two or more of the same thing and forget how many you have any only check in one of the bottles.

Stranger things have happened.

Can you or can you not buy booze in the ports and bring it back to the ship to consume ? If so, both beer AND hard stuff ?

Thanks !

For some strange reason, they don't seem to care if you bring a 6-pack of beer on from the ports. We try to pick up a 6-pack of a good local brew, and bring it back on board without concealing it, and have had no problems. I learned this here on CC. However, they do ask you to check the hard stuff, and they return it the last night of the cruise.

I've noticed that even buying one bottle, the store insists they have to deliver it to the ship.

We noticed this too but only in certain ports. I think for us, Grand Cayman and Roatan insisted on delivering it to the ship so we didn't buy any there. I know Cozumel was allowing purchases to be hand carried. I don't recall what Belize was doing. Both of the ports insisting to deliver said it was because of the decree the government made to the cruise line. Because they sell it so much cheaper (and duty free) they don't allow local people off the street to buy there. We actually heard one storekeeper tell a foreigner that was staying locally at a resort where she would need to go to purchase her liquor because their purchases were only available to cruise ship passengers with ship identification in hand.

Only on my first Carnival cruise did I actually turn over my bottles to the desk as requested. Had to go thru a bit of a hassle to get it back after security lost it. From the second cruise on I go thru the screening area and take a hard right or left straight up the stairs. No one has ever tried to stop me. I don't buy it to drink on the ship (sorry G'ma but I already have a stashed bottle). I have little faith in getting it back after turning it in to security.

The only port that insisted they had to deliver to the ship was at the duty free in Grand Cayman. Also they have been the only place to NOT allow me to make a purchase after a certain time.

In Roatan, we have not been asked.

Dave

I think it is random - or the rules have changed in the past year. Both examples below are from Cozumel.

On Valor, we bought some tequila, carried it onboard ourselves. Went through the xray and it was confiscated at a table just past security. It was delivered to our cabin on the last night.

On Inspiration (most recent cruise), we also bought some tequila. Carried it on, went through xray and there was no one at a table to confiscate. We brought it up to our cabin.

I went with my in-laws on our first cruise just this month. In Grand Caymans my sister in-law bought a large bottle Tequila and hid it in her snorkel bag. The x-ray caught it and they made a big deal about making her turn it over at the desk. The next day in Cozumel I bought a bottle of clear Tequila - poured it in my water bottle and bought a 2nd bottle of Special Tequila which I brought right on. I handed the Special Tequila to the x-ray tech and he handed it back. I put it in my bag and took it right to my room. I think that as long as you don't try to hide it they will let you through.

As for beer I saw quite a bit of that without any problem but only can beer.

You can bring beer and soda back on, the hard stuff they ask you to surrender.

Thanks that explains my last trip. I drank coke from the room fridge, while in one port I noticed exactly the same cans of coke for sale for $0.75. Bought a six pack expecting to drink it all but it turned out to be a very cool day. I was surprised that I had no hassles bringing them on-board.

End result, I only had to pay for two cans of coke for the entire trip.

But I assume there is a limit to how much I can bring in, but for a couple of cans of non-alcoholic drinks it seems there is no problem.

Archived