Questions about Putting that $250 deposit down and getting your $100 onboard credit

NJ04SS

We did this on a NCL cruise a few years ago. You can transfer the info from NCL to your own TA. We transferred ours to AAA. If for some reason you have to cancel within the allowed time, they subtract the $100 that they gave you as OBC from the $250 and return $150 to you. Not a problem for us, we went on our first Alaska cruise with this one.

While on the cruise, you sign up for the certificate (They will have forms at the front desk or they have events where you can get them) and they will charge your account $250 but give you a $100 OBC to use how you like. When you are ready to book another cruise, you use your $250 certificate as your deposit. It's a great deal!!:)

So they charge your onboard account? I was thinking about doing this on my upcoming cruise but wanted to use my NCL mastercard for double points.

Appreciate it. Think It'd be a good deal - plus we never have been let down on an NCL cruise before:D Just get it straight, you put down $250.00 deposit (which will be used FOR PAYMENT on your next cruise) and they give you $100 just for making this reservation?!?

Yes! We always do this.

So they charge your onboard account? I was thinking about doing this on my upcoming cruise but wanted to use my NCL mastercard for double points.

You register your Credit card to pay your onboard account.

I'm reading the postings and trying to learn something. The OBC is for the future cruise, not the one your on when you sign up. Correct.

No, you get the $100 OBC right away on the cruise you are on (really just cuts the price of the $250 certificate to $150). Then you have the $250 cruise certificate to use as the deposit when you schedule the future cruise. You have 4 years to to do. That certificate puts $250 towards the future cruise (even though it only cost you $150) and will be the only deposit needed to hold the cabin.

I did a One Night Cruise to Nowhere, deposited $250 in to my account, used the $250 to buy a Future Cruise Certificate and they posted $100 to my OBC which I used as my spending money for the night. How can you go wrong? I used my certificate to book my November cruise where I will do it all over again!:)

The only down side to participating in the program is that they must be used within four years of purchase. NCL also mentioned that if you are not able to use them, the cruise rewards 'deposit' can be transferred to someone else who can use them prior to the expiration date.

The only down side to participating in the program is that they must be used within four years of purchase. NCL also mentioned that if you are not able to use them, the cruise rewards 'deposit' can be transferred to someone else who can use them prior to the expiration date.

Yes, you should only buy them if you know you will use them. As long as you book the cruise in the 4 years you are fine. Some people buy them as gifts but you need to know that the person you give it to wants to cruise (or ask for it back and use it yourself!!!:))

Good point. Of course, in my case, I consider it an enormous benefit, not a downside, knowing for sure that I will be cruising again! ;):D

I used one last week with a UK agent. They had no idea what I was talking about but they did phone ncl and as it is attached to your latitudes number NCL told them what to do. No problem from then on at all.

Thanks for the info. Just another question if you don't mind?! As they are bought in '$' but booking in UK it's '£' how does this work? do they just convert at spot rate of exchange ???

(ps - I'm only in Dudley so not too far away from you!!)

We're in the process of doing this now. We purchased a FCC on our November 2008 TA. At that time, you had less time to use the certificate (30 months?). When we called, we wanted to use it on an at-that-time-not-yet-scheduled Baltics cruise in 2011, and there was an even shorter limit to the amount of time you had to book.

We called our PCC, who gave us a couple-of-weeks extension on the booking limit (since we were already past it!), and suggested we book a cruise, any cruise as far out as we could. We booked a Caribbean cruise right at the edge of our 30-month limit.

Then when the European schedule was announced, we saw that they didn't start cruising until May (and we wanted to cruise in June), and our 30 months were up in April. We called the PCC, and she just canceled us out of the Caribbean cruise and onto the Baltics cruise, using the $250 FCC. Kinda bent the rules, but we're very happy now.

I'm glad the new ones are 4-year certificates. Makes booking easier.

--Michael

Archived