Le Havre to Paris

Pennyscandy

Our Princess cruise this June has canceled the "Paris on you own". Getting to Paris and back to the ship are what we are looking for, not a tour. We are scheduled to dock at 7 a.m and leave port at 8 a.m. Any suggestions?

There have been a number of earlier posts on this subject, including options for going into Paris by rail. You can do a "search" with the title of Paris to look back at those many earlier postings on this France board. Or, look back through the last two to four pages of earlier postings. The quick, bottom-line is that there are "trade-offs" for such a day-trip into Paris. It takes lots of time with your logistics getting there and back and that your "net time" in Paris is limited. BUT, Paris is always Paris, great, wonderful, exciting and interesting, etc.!!! Even a net of four or five hours in Paris might be worth the effort if you have not been there before. In your question, you said "leave port at 8 a.m." I assume you mean your ship leaves at 8 PM, right?

Let us know any and all follow-up questions after reading this earlier posts. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Take the train to Paris second class ticket will do you fine. (I take it you are on the Crown Princess in June with a 7a-7p) The main trouble with any such trip is the rushed nature. You will be able to see only the highlights, I would suggest skipping all of the museums and such save for Notre Dame. See the Arc d Triomphe, concorde, tour Eifel etc. have a picnic in the Tuilleries and go back promising to return to Paris for several days. Plan on being back in Le Havre no later than 5p as you do not want problems, be sure as well to have travel insurance.

Paris is my wife's favorite city in the world, and yet, when we are in Le Havre we do not go to Paris because of the distance. You can do it on the train which takes about 2:10 each way plus the time to get to and from the Lehavre train station from your ship. Because of your long port day it is certainly an idea worthy of consideration. The irony about using the train is that it is actually faster then the bus transfers offered by the cruise line (these can take nearly 3 hours each way).

Hank

Archived