Why call the ship a boat?

mississauga

I have served in (sic) many ships, but I always referred to them as my (personal) boat. It may just be a psychological thing. A ship gives images of something immense and cold where a boat is more intimate and free spirited.

Ship...Boat... if she floats I admire her, if she sinks I mourn her.

In my signature you see USS (United States Ship) and USNS (United States Naval Ship). And they are all my boats, I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into each one of them. Some are gone and some are still sailing. Either way, they remain a part of me and I hope to call the Carnival Spirit my boat soon.

Fair winds and following seas shipmates.

Don't you mean "boatmates"?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-ship-and-a-boat.htm

The distinction between a ship and a boat varies depending on regional definitions, but as a general rule, a boat can fit onto a ship, but a ship cannot fit onto a boat. A ship, in other words, is a very large ocean-going vessel, while a boat tends to be much smaller. Additionally, a ship usually is defined as having a displacement larger than 500 tons. During the age of sailing, a craft with three or more rigged masts was considered to be a ship, but this definition has been superseded, as different methods of power generation are used on modern ships.

I vote for this one. On the link, it says that submarines kept the name "boat" because when they were first being built they were small and could be put aboard ships.

Floating people container. ? I imagine someone laying awake with their arms stiff at their side, eyes wide open, mulling over "ship? boat? aaarrrgh"

Supposably, anyways. Or, that's a whole nuther topic? <----annnooooyyeeeeeeeennnggg

If a ships captain got annoyed that I called a ship a boat I would tell him to shut the hell up. I would then inform him that it is his job to make my cruise a good cruise. I would also tell him I would be informing The parent company of his behavior because I used a word that in his mind was the wrong word.

I really dought that a captian cares one way or the other if it is called a boat or a ship. If they do get annoyed, I really don't give a dam.

It's ship's, doubt and damn. I don't care what you call it, just spell it RIGHT. It's the captain's job to get you from point A to point B, C, D, E, (How long is the cruise on the SHIP??) and back to point A, unless it was a one-way cruise. It is the Cruise Director's and other staff member's job to make sure you have the opportunity to have a good cruise. If you get annoyed by someone correcting you when you are wrong, you'll probably be the one posting back how LOUSY your cruise was.

For all "intensive purposes" it's a ship.:eek:

What are intensive purposes - maybe porpoises?

Intents and purposes - maybe???

:):D:):D:)

The correct phrase is "to all intents and purposes." This phrase dates back to the 1500s and originated in English law, where it was "to all intents, constructions, and purposes." In modern usage, "for all intents and purposes" is also acceptable. <---from WikiAnswers

I do hope you know I was playing along with the grammar game, lol.

What are intensive purposes - maybe porpoises?

Intents and purposes - maybe???

:):D:):D:)

The correct phrase is "to all intents and purposes." This phrase dates back to the 1500s and originated in English law, where it was "to all intents, constructions, and purposes." In modern usage, "for all intents and purposes" is also acceptable. <---from WikiAnswers

It's ship's, doubt and damn. I don't care what you call it, just spell it RIGHT. It's the captain's job to get you from point A to point B, C, D, E, (How long is the cruise on the SHIP??) and back to point A, unless it was a one-way cruise. It is the Cruise Director's and other staff member's job to make sure you have the opportunity to have a good cruise. If you get annoyed by someone correcting you when you are wrong, you'll probably be the one posting back how LOUSY your cruise was.

And now you are the grammar police?

You are correcting me when I spelt a word wrong. does that mean you also will be probably the one posting back how LOUSY your cruise was. Just wondering....

I think I must use "boat" and "ship" interchangeably since it doesn't bother me one way or the other what someone calls it.

What's the difference, if any, between a stateroom and a cabin, or is that also just a matter of semantics? I tend to think of a cabin as being on a smaller boat ("cabin" cruiser), and a stateroom being on a larger vessel like a yacht or cruise ship.

Boat, ship, cruiser, liner....etc.

Cabin, room, stateroom, cubicle...etc.

I agree with Jamstew...it is all just semantics, period. If I want to call it a boat..I will do just that. I really don't give a sh*t if you think it is wrong or if you Think I am less intelligent than you for saying it. Furthermore, It does not mean I am uneducated either!

Don't be so uptight about the way people use words, unless they call the ship something like....umm...say...cottonballs.

Relax and enjoy life! Why do some people have to be sooooo judgemental? Live and let live.

Boat, ship, cruiser, liner....etc.

Cabin, room, stateroom, cubicle...etc.

I agree with Jamstew...it is all just semantics, period. If I want to call it a boat..I will do just that. I really don't give a sh*t if you think it is wrong or if you Think I am less intelligent than you for saying it. Furthermore, It does not mean I am uneducated either!

Don't be so uptight about the way people use words, unless they call the ship something like....umm...say...cottonballs.

Relax and enjoy life! Why do some people have to be sooooo judgemental? Live and let live.

And, when you are on the boat, you shouldn't say things like sink, crash, overboard and cap size. Even if you are talking about a basin, sleep, excess or how big your head is.

What really bothers me is that fact that I wasted so much time reading and posting to this useless topic. I just couln't help myself.:o On a positive note, I feel enlightened (more smarter) about the subject. :rolleyes:

What I have a problem with is calling sea going vessels, "She". They are not "She's". They are "It's". And I don't understand why they call it a "sailing". These vessels don't have sails. We go on "cruises", not "sailings" on these vessels.

It's a BOAT whether I'm on one with a bar or on one with fishing tackle because BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. A $1000 for new trolling batteries and charger or a $1000 for 7 days of boozin in the Caribbean. :D

what is really funny is how some people treat the captain like he is some god, the truth is he is just another employee who's job it is to make sure that my cruise goes well!
The captain is not just another employee. He is responsible for the entire ship. He is responsible for the safety of the ship, crew, and passengers. Of course his job is to also make sure that all crew members are doing their job to make sure you have a good time.

But he is also in charge of ship security and has the authority to detain unruly and beligerant passengers, and then get them of the ship when necessary. You can then complain to whoever you want, but they will most likely stand by him since he will have already obtained Carnival's permission to kick you off.

Archived