Why call the ship a boat?

mississauga

Lately most of the reviews I have read, the OP refers to the ship they are reviewing as a boat. :confused: Most of the reviewers are in their 20's and 30's and are writing fabulous reviews but keep using the word boat.

Is it just me? Does it bother anyone else that these huge gigantic ships are considered boats by these young folks?

Is this the new word for a ship? Am I just old fashion and behind the times?:eek:

Having said that, I really appreciate all their efforts and the time they spend writing the reviews and I have really enjoyed them all.:D:D:D

I have noticed this too and it does bother me.

I don't know why they are using the term "boat" instead of "ship"

but I suspect it is an educational thing. It may be that this is not

part of our education system. For us old folks it seems to have been

part of our training, almost ingrained at a young age.:)

Thats always been one of those that kinda bugs me..

You can go fishin' on the lake in a boat, but id rather cruise on a ship..

Im 26 so I do not think age matters more just people that dont know the difference.

Well, ships over a certain size (most new ones these days) should be called vessels, not ships, as I was told by a senior staff member. So I guess it really ticks me off when people chall a vessel a ship.

But seriously, it doesn't butg me at all. I'm on a BOAT, is a super popular saying right now dure to the song. Stop sweatin' the small stuff would be my advice.

Lately most of the reviews I have read, the OP refers to the ship they are reviewing as a boat. :confused: Most of the reviewers are in their 20's and 30's and are writing fabulous reviews but keep using the word boat.

Is it just me? Does it bother anyone else that these huge gigantic ships are considered boats by these young folks?

Is this the new word for a ship? Am I just old fashion and behind the times?:eek:

Having said that, I really appreciate all their efforts and the time they spend writing the reviews and I have really enjoyed them all.:D:D:D

This is what I was always told

"The distinction between a ship and a boat varies depending on regional definitions, but as a general rule, a boat can fit onto a ship, but a ship cannot fit onto a boat. A ship, in other words, is a very large ocean-going vessel, while a boat tends to be much smaller. Additionally, a ship usually is defined as having a displacement larger than 500 tons. During the age of sailing, a craft with three or more rigged masts was considered to be a ship, but this definition has been superseded, as different methods of power generation are used on modern ships."

Whan I cruise I am on a ship, the boat is what I see at the local lake.

It's because they don't know the definition. Ships, because of their size usually carry smaller crafts (Boats), but a boat cannot carry a ship. It really has to do with size. You can always argue that some Cabin Cruisers, which are really boats usually carry a smaller boat for land access when anchored out. Try this, if it does not require a captain and crew to operate it, it's probably a boat unless it's a submarine. Confusing enough for ya?

Jim

The Great Lakes is the only place where you can legitimately call a ship a boat, i.e. "ore boats". Some of those "ore boats" are 1,000 ft long!

As far as vessel--> a ship is a vessel and so is a boat.

Regarding the T.V. show, "The Love Boat", they weren't referring to the Princess cruise SHIP, they were referring to the lifeboat on the ship, where the bartender (forgot his name, Isaac :confused:) and Julie the CD snuck away to have nooky :p.

Archived