Might the Maitre d' Help With This?

Your opinions please...

I just found out that through Bon Voyage, you can no longer order a special occasion cake with a custom inscription. If a guest talks to the Maitre d'...in a really nice way :)...would that person be able to get the cake written on with the message they prefer?

Just Happy Birthday and a name is wanted...nothing fancy or difficult (other than asking for special attention among thousands of pax :o).

Your opinions please...

I just found out that through Bon Voyage, you can no longer order a special occasion cake with a custom inscription. If a guest talks to the Maitre d'...in a really nice way :)...would that person be able to get the cake written on with the message they prefer?

Just Happy Birthday and a name is wanted...nothing fancy or difficult (other than asking for special attention among thousands of pax :o).

If I am not mistaken, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary is pretty much common and can be requested on cakes (at least I have done this when onboard).... as far as personalized with a name also, As for the Matre d' assisting on this, probably could but is it that important that a name be on the cake too? (not to mention the additional "thank you gratuity" that would be politically correct to provide them) I don't think the receiver would be too disapointed if their name was missing :D

Your opinions please...

Well I have been using my local Safeway grocery store to print out and edible ink photo page.

You could bring on your own small image of the Birthday person with the name written on it how you like, all printed on edible paper with edible ink.

Most people never can tell it was a piece of paper applied to the top of the cake, it sort of blends in.

I found this web site via google that does an online printing business (look at instructions if you are interested) http://www.icingimages.com/icing.php?link=1

If I am not mistaken, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary is pretty much common and can be requested on cakes (at least I have done this when onboard).... as far as personalized with a name also, As for the Matre d' assisting on this, probably could but is it that important that a name be on the cake too? (not to mention the additional "thank you gratuity" that would be politically correct to provide them) I don't think the receiver would be too disapointed if their name was missing

It is for a client's request, and the name is important to her. I have already advised her that should the Maitre d' satisfy her request, a gratuity would be in order. :)

Can't you just bring onboard some of that stuff they sell in the cake aisle and write it yourself?

Believe it or not, I was about to call her and suggest that after I talked to Bon Voyage. But...I know about the wealth of info available here on CC, and thought I would explore the Maitre d' avenue here to see if I should mention that as well.

The do have the 'standard' messages available.

Happy Birhday

Congratulations

Happy Honeymoon

Happy Anniversary

Bon Voyaage

Thank you...I have a "Happy Birthday" ordered, but my client wants a custom message and I am hoping to assist her with that.

Writing on cakes is part of what I do for a living. Just pay for my cruise and I would be happy to come along and help you out. Guess you would have to pay for DH's too.

Wow...a second "believe it or not"...I was a professional cake decorator at one time; still do cakes for family & friends. (So, sorry, I am first in line to be their DCD...Designated Cake Decorator. :p) I know it could be quick and easy to change/add to the inscription, depending of course on the logistics of serving the other pax timely in the meantime.

Well I have been using my local Safeway grocery store to print out and edible ink photo page.

You could bring on your own small image of the Birthday person with the name written on it how you like, all printed on edible paper with edible ink.

Most people never can tell it was a piece of paper applied to the top of the cake, it sort of blends in.

I found this web site via google that does an online printing business (look at instructions if you are interested) http://www.icingimages.com/icing.php?link=1

Thank you for the suggestion. However, those edible images are difficult to transport without cracking, and very tricky to transfer, especially in a humid climate.

well you have gotten lottsa options for them to consider.... the edible image idea is a good one where they could really personalize it with a pic of the passenger celebrating their special day ! Clients.... gotta luv 'em :)

Thank you for the suggestion. However, those edible images are difficult to transport without cracking, and very tricky to transfer, especially in a humid climate.

I would not want to have to find a way to pack an edible image in a hard-sided, humidity-proof container, and hassle with it getting it aboard the ship without damage. This is from professional experience with handling them. It is just not a viable option for my client.

Writing on cakes is part of what I do for a living. Just pay for my cruise and I would be happy to come along and help you out. Guess you would have to pay for DH's too.

I don't do it for a living, but would be willing to do it for you and i will leave my wife home...How's that??:rolleyes:

I would not want to have to find a way to pack an edible image in a hard-sided, humidity-proof container, and hassle with it getting it aboard the ship without damage. This is from professional experience with handling them. It is just not a viable option for my client.

I deal with Edible images daily on a "professional level" as well in our DQ's.... to transport one in a purse or bag in the foil ziplock bags they are purchased in and carried on the ship would not be a problem at all and I am certain that the stateroom attendant would place it in a cooler area for the passenger until needed to avoid the humidity/cracking of them as well..... It was a suggestion and you just seem to have a negative comment on every suggestion I have provided....I am so done with trying to assist you on this. :mad:

I deal with Edible images daily on a "professional level" as well in our DQ's.... to transport one in a purse or bag in the foil ziplock bags they are purchased in and carried on the ship would not be a problem at all and I am certain that the stateroom attendant would place it in a cooler area for the passenger until needed to avoid the humidity/cracking of them as well..... It was a suggestion and you just seem to have a negative comment on every suggestion I have provided....I am so done with trying to assist you on this. :mad:

I have never had any problems with them either. (But who knows?)

~ I am just wondering *Why* the name is so important? ~

Any special reason? :confused:

I have surprised my family, friends and random table mates with the cakes onboard (both ordered ahead and in Formailities)..

Never had anyone say "wow, that was nice, but it should have had my name on it"--or anything similar... :rolleyes:

I have never had any problems with them either. (But who knows?)

~ I am just wondering *Why* the name is so important? ~

Any special reason? :confused:

I have surprised my family, friends and random table mates with the cakes onboard (both ordered ahead and in Formailities)..

Never had anyone say "wow, that was nice, but it should have had my name on it"--or anything similar... :rolleyes:

And I made those exact comments to the OP as you... but seems I was not providing the answer THEY wanted to hear ! :rolleyes:

I deal with Edible images daily.... to transport one in a purse or bag in the foil ziplock bags they are purchased in and carried on the ship would not be a problem at all and I am certain that the stateroom attendant would place it in a coller area for the passenger until needed to avoid the humidity/cracking of them as well..... It was a suggestion and you just seem to have a negative comment on every suggestion I have provided....I am so done with trying to assist you on this. :mad:

Why the "Mad" face? :confused:

I am very sorry...just sharing my opinions, as I thought you were. While I stand by my opinion, I get that you handle EI's daily...question...Have you actually tried to pack an EI for travel in a humid climate (I have :eek:) How did you pack it?

Also, with all due respect, how are you certain that the cabin steward can provide a place that is colder?

If it was easy for you then I admire your skill!

I certainly never meant to offend you...maybe you are just better/more experienced dealing with EI's than me...peace, and happy cruising (and cake decorating!) to you.

Why the "Mad" face? :confused:

I am very sorry...just sharing my opinions, as I thought you were. While I stand by my opinion, I get that you handle EI's daily...question...Have you actually tried to pack an EI for travel in a humid climate (I have :eek:) How did you pack it? Amount of Time of exposure to "humid" environment is the key on this...

Also, with all due respect, how are you certain that the cabin steward can provide a place that is colder?Medicines requiring refrigeration can be given to stateroom attendant and they will store them in a cooler or cool environment for you. I know this for FACT based on personal needs.

If it was easy for you then I admire your skill!

I certainly never meant to offend you...maybe you are just better/more experienced dealing with EI's than me...peace, and happy cruising (and cake decorating!) to you.

Good luck in your future cruises and assisting clients needs.

I've used Edible images from Safeway too. They make a lovely presentation on a cake. They could be transported especially if you drive to the pier-I've taken one to put on a cake at a family gathering 3 hrs. from my home. It was much easier than trying to take a full sheet cake that far in the car. But it would take extra effort that sounds like it'd be inconvienient in this case.

Archived