Conquest cruisers 04/04/2010

Hello all,

Due to the extreame fog along the coast Galveston hasclosed the port to large vessel traffic. I would not expect the Conquest to make it dock side until noonish.

So those waiting to board relax, those wait on friends and family to disembark, relax it will not be happening soon.

John

I just posted this on another thread, and I thought it was good information for those of you waiting to board the Conquest...

Here's an update on the ships from the RCCL board...there's somebody on there who's posting updates from the Voyager. The poster said they can hear the Conquest loud and clear, but they can't see a thing!!!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redheada viewpost.gif

Captain just made an announcement and indicated the port was closed until at least 9am and once cleared it would be another 2 hours before docked. I will try and keep you updated but if I was you I would sit tight in the hotel until we dock. Can't say I have too many complaints about being stuck for a few more hours. Sorry for those of you anxious to leave. It is very foggy. I can hear the Conquest next to us but can't see a thing.

Quote:

I have to say it is strange to hear the captain on the carnival make an announcement and hear it loud and clearl yet not see them...

I had already heard that it was going to be bad today because half of the ship is mexican nationals and it is easter so I don't think they will have a full immigration staff. I think it will be a long debarkation/embarkation day folks. People freaking out about flights. They are giving free internet and phone calls etc now but the internet is spotty at best maybe because of the fog and the phones really don't work either. They did say free movies soon......

By the way it was a wonderful cruise!!!! Hate to leave. :(

Quote:

We just heard from captain and they indicated the fog is not expected to lift until 9 or 10 am and not sure really when it will lift because there is no wind at all. Once we are cleared it is 2 hours to port. So I would say the ship for sure won't be in before Noon.

I have been monitoring these all morning:

CAMS:

http://www.cavalla244.org/ParkWebcam.htm

http://www.galveston.com/cruisecam/

http://www.galveston.com/harborcam/

http://www.cavalla244.org/PicnicGrounds.htm

http://weather.weatherbug.com/TX/Galveston-weather/weather-cams/local-cams.html?zcode=z6286&lang_id=el&camera_id=-1

OTHER:

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913722&page=57][/url]

Cruisers are talking about today's fog in Galveston here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1175732

this one is on the Royal Caribbean cruisecritic site for those that watch the Galveston cruise cam. They discuss current conditions and people onboard the Voyager sitting out there with the Conquest post what the ship Captain is saying about the fog, eta, etc Start on the last post :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913722&page=57

This is from the cruise director on the Voyager...

Fog was expected to lift at 9:00am, I am looking outside and it doesn't appear ready to lift then. The problem is we were expecting 20 knnots of wind but there is less than 10 so the fog is just sitting here.

We could be here a while if the current conditions hold.

If you are coming in please take your time, we have 1,200 guests from Mexico and the CBP inspection could take a while this morning when we finally get in.

I will try to post again once we are on our way.

Crazy fog. :( Hang in there for those waiting to board today. Hoping it won't be too crazy of a scene. I just looked at the cams too & still don't see either ship. Praying the fog lifts enough here soon so they can get in & dock.

Here's an update from some folks on the Voyager...the first is the CD, and the other two are from a passenger. The very last line (about moving) was posted at 12:51:

The fog has gotten worse since my last post. It is now 11:15am. Even if we left right now we wouldn't begin boarding until 4:00pm. So if you are within driving distance, enjoy Easter lunch and don't stress yourself by coming down now.

More updates to come as they are made available.

Just to give an idea of how foggy it is, just went up to deck 11 and you can barely see the water below....

Maybe able to get in within 2 hours. At least we are moving. But we may have to stop again...

On the conquEst. Fog so thick we cAn't see the voyager next to us even though we canhear their loudspeaker announcements. The crew is doing a great job keeping us informed we do have alot of international passengers and they must be panicked but overall the mood is ok. Being stuck on the ship isn't quite fun no luggage no activities no shops open gym closed worry about work pets etc but we are powerless and they are still feeding us so we are trying to just relax. We are in us waters so at least we can use our phones

As much as I'd hate the hassle of changing flight plans, I would sooooo love to be "stuck" on a cruise ship right now. :D

As good as being stuck on a cruise ship sounds, I can say from personal experience that its not all that. Last year, at about this time, we were on the Conquest and were delayed coming into port by about 3 or 4 hours, because of fog, and to my wife and I the experience was less than desirable. After breakfast we were "encouraged" to leave our cabin because the hotel staff needed to get in and begin their turn around routine. Nothing is open. There are no shows. Even the simple act of walking around and seeing different parts of the ship was made difficult because of all the people with all of their luggage waiting in the common areas to disembark. Almost the whole ship is preparing to disembark and re-embark for the next trip. We were never treated badly or anything, it just left like we were in a limbo state and would have preferred disembarking and making the trip home since we knew that the cruise was over and there was nothing else to look forward to.

As much as I'd hate the hassle of changing flight plans, I would sooooo love to be "stuck" on a cruise ship right now. :D

We were on Conquest stuck in the fog back in February and had to change our flights to Monday, and it really wasn't that bad. Southwest didn't charge us a change fee since it was weather-related (and it wasn't even their weather problem). The hardest part of being stuck outside the harbor was that there really wasn't a lot to do. We parked ourselves on the Promenade deck near the coffee shop, read, and played cards. The Lido buffet was mobbed at lunch - we ended up getting burgers and bringing them back down to Promenade.

On the conquEst. Fog so thick we cAn't see the voyager next to us even though we canhear their loudspeaker announcements. The crew is doing a great job keeping us informed we do have alot of international passengers and they must be panicked but overall the mood is ok. Being stuck on the ship isn't quite fun no luggage no activities no shops open gym closed worry about work pets etc but we are powerless and they are still feeding us so we are trying to just relax. We are in us waters so at least we can use our phones

I have a friend on the Conquest....she just Facebooked me about 10 minutes ago that they are still sitting....

Hopefully Conquest will be in soon...Voyager is on the Cruise camera now.

Archived