Emerald Princess Questions

mppap

We sail in a couple weeks & I have several questions if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

When is Caribbean night? I would like to book the CG that evening based on reviews of Caribbean night.

Full day Catamaran & Snorkeling trip in STT, is it worth the $139/pp? Will the catamaran be packed with people? My husband gets motion sickness so can't book a smaller vessel nor is he fond of snorkeling so trying to decide what to do. Also considering just going to Sapphire Beach or maybe the Boss excursion.

Has anyone been to Sapphire Beach?

Is it true that if you purchase alcohol in a port, they will not confiscate it from you?

What MUTS are being shown currently & do they offer this every night?

Thanks for the help!

I'll be on the Emerald in three weeks and noticed most of your questions have been answered...search for a topic in the boards and I am sure you'll find your answers. Here is a link to someone's recent review of the Emerald. She even lists the movies currently playing, but search and you will find your answers :-) Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1172383

Once you are on the ship and ready to make reservations for the Crown Grill, the person you speak with will be able to let you know when Caribbean Night is in the main dining rooms.

I would not book the catamaran trip since it sound like your husband would not enjoy it. We like going to Emerald Beach. It's a long walk from the dock at Crown Bay--or you can take a taxi. I think chairs were $10 to rent at the Best Western. (We did not get charged the last time we were there because it was Thanksgiving and the guy did not show up to collect the money until we were about to leave.)

If you buy liquor in port, they will ask you to check it when you return to the ship. It will be delivered the last afternoon/evening of your cruise.

Full day Catamaran & Snorkeling trip in STT, is it worth the $139/pp? Will the catamaran be packed with people?

It's well worth it, IMHO. We did the half day excursion to St. John in February and there were 9 guests onboard...the cat will accommodate nearly 40.

The day was beautiful and the snorkeling was very good. We had a fantastic time.

My husband gets motion sickness so can't book a smaller vessel nor is he fond of snorkeling so trying to decide what to do.
Seems to me you're lucky he's going on the cruise with you. If motion bothers him he's not going to have much fun on a catamaran.

Is it true that if you purchase alcohol in a port, they will not confiscate it from you?
There will be someone after you go through security to collect your purchases, but you can just walk right by if you wish.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I totally agree about the catamarans. If motion bothers him, he will not enjoy the day. We have sailed on many all day catamarans where some passengers were begging the captain to cut the excursion short and return them to the dock (when they didn't have their head in a bucket that is), which wasn't fare to the rest of us that actually were enjoying it. Even some who never get seasick onboard the cruise ship, find the catamarans a huge NO NO. Time for a beach day or a land excursion, that would be my suggestion. ;)

Thank you. I didn't realize a catamaran would be so "rocky." We have taken boats on snorkeling excursions that don't really bother him unless the water is very chopy. Sounds like maybe we should pick another option.

The all day sail to St. Johns usually hits a very rough patch on the way there, that is when they bring out the 'buckets' on most sailings. Not all snorkeling excursions are rough, but the ride over to St. Johns can be a bit different. ;)

I have done the all day catamaran in St Thomas twice and it is amazing, however, if your dh gets motionsickness, I don't recommend it. On the way out to the location where they drop anchor for the snorkling, they are using the engine of the catamaran to get you there quickly and the water can be very rough. This excursion is normally sold out and I have been on it where they have had at least 30 people on it. My brother-in-law is not a sun person or a snorkle person, but my sister is and he went. He spent the whole time inside the catamaran and I really don't think he ate or drank his monies worth. The food that is onboard will be salads and a variety of coldcuts and cheese. It is also an open bar with a variety of different options of alcohol. This is one of the best snorkling excursions we have been on and it was the same crew both times we went and they are amazing. On the way back, they will let the wind guide you with no engines, however, if there are no winds, they will use the engines. The return trip back to your ship is a more leisurely trip then the trip to the snorkling location. Hope this helps!!

We were on the Emerald last week and had a great time.

Re Caribbean night, we went to the Cafe Caribe that night as nothing in the main dining room appealed to us. It was Bavarian night in the Cafe and the food was great.

Movies are shown every day. They show movies and/or videos during the day and then movies at night. Some of the movies last week were The Blindside, Sherlock Holmes, Twilight: New Moon, Princess and the Frog, Up. Most of the movies are then shown the next day on the tv's in the cabins.

We did the 1/2 catamaran trip to Buck Island (STT-815) and loved it. I would go on it again. The crew was great; we saw turtles and stingrays.

We were on the Emerald last week and had a great time.

Re Caribbean night, we went to the Cafe Caribe that night as nothing in the main dining room appealed to us. It was Bavarian night in the Cafe and the food was great.

Movies are shown every day. They show movies and/or videos during the day and then movies at night. Some of the movies last week were The Blindside, Sherlock Holmes, Twilight: New Moon, Princess and the Frog, Up. Most of the movies are then shown the next day on the tv's in the cabins.

We did the 1/2 catamaran trip to Buck Island (STT-815) and loved it. I would go on it again. The crew was great; we saw turtles and stingrays.

Does the bedding include pashima afghans? Preferably a nautical theme?

It seems like this has been beaten pretty well, but I have to tell you that I get motion sickness easily. I took Bonine the entire cruise and was completely fine on the ship, they only time I got sick was on a catamaran. The combo of the diesel smell and the rocking really got to me and I couldn't even LOOK at the rum punch let alone drink it! Real bummer :(

Has anyone been to Sapphire Beach?

We've been to both, Magens Bay and Sapphire beaches and I liked Sapphire way better for its beautiful surrounding landscape, available services, bigger waves and the wide open spaces.

• 3 weeks later...
...We did the 1/2 catamaran trip to Buck Island (STT-815) and loved it. I would go on it again. The crew was great; we saw turtles and stingrays.

Hi there,

Do you recall the name of the Catamaran company? I'm trying to find their web site so we can view photos. We can't remember the URL :(

Thanks!

Archived