Soda card question

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the unlimited soda card. I've read that if you buy three sodas per day, it's worth it to buy a card. My question is this: If you buy a soda for dinner and they refill your glass, that's two? or do they count refills as the same? I'm assuming a refill is a second soda, which would make the card more worthwhile. DD and I will be fine with tea or lemonade, or even water, but hubby likes his soda. I also read that the soda card includes juices, is that correct? And sodas ordered through room service will be on the card, too?

Another question... if the ship docks at, say, 7am, in a specific port, how soon can we get off the ship and start our day?

This is our first cruise (Victory, May 16th from San Juan), and these boards have been invaluable and addictive. I love all of the reviews and awesome pictures, and the tips you all have shared about cruising. Can't wait to sail!

Thanks!

The refill is considered another soda. Yes.. soda's through room service also go on the card.

When the ship has cleared customs, you will be able to depart the ship to start your day. If you have any tender ports then they arrange leaving on tender ships a bit different.

Always remember to bring a wrist watch and set it to ship time. Always be aware of what time you need to be back on the ship.

You can bring sodas onto the ship, if you want! They only care about alcoholic beverages, not sodas.

Don't use your cell phone as a watch while ashore...it will automatically switch to island time...and you want to be on ship's time!

Yes, a refill is a second soda.

If the ship is docked, it is usually about 15 to 30 minutes after docking to receive local clearance. It can take longer.

For tender ports, it will depend on whether you are on a ships tour, have priority, or are in the all other category. If "all other", you will probably have to get a number and wait your turn. It can tak 90 minutes or so to get everyone off.

I'm a big soda drinker. On my first cruise, I didn't get a card and regretted it. $2 per pop adds up quickly. On my second cruise I got the card, but learned what a hassle it is getting refills. The bartenders don't like you becuaes you're probably not going to tip them, so they always wait on you last. And they put lots of ice in, so you're back VERY often. On my third cruise, we just snuck a 12 pack of Coke in our suitcase and I tried to limit my pop intake for the week, and drank more lemonade and water. This seemed to work best.

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the unlimited soda card. I've read that if you buy three sodas per day, it's worth it to buy a card. My question is this: If you buy a soda for dinner and they refill your glass, that's two? or do they count refills as the same? I'm assuming a refill is a second soda, which would make the card more worthwhile. DD and I will be fine with tea or lemonade, or even water, but hubby likes his soda. I also read that the soda card includes juices, is that correct? And sodas ordered through room service will be on the card, too?

Another question... if the ship docks at, say, 7am, in a specific port, how soon can we get off the ship and start our day?

This is our first cruise (Victory, May 16th from San Juan), and these boards have been invaluable and addictive. I love all of the reviews and awesome pictures, and the tips you all have shared about cruising. Can't wait to sail!

Thanks!

I never had a problem with a soda card. They always treated us like like every other person in line.

I actually like drinking water more than soda, so I brought a Brita filter/pitcher with us on the last cruise. Their bottle prices are thru the roof!

We also didn't have any problems bringing Mt Dew on board (my husband lives on the stuff) but they told us the only reason we could bring it on was because they do not carry it on the ship.

On our last few cruises, one on Carnival, one one on RCI and 2 on Celebrity my DH has gotten a 'soda card'. I have sometimes taken his card and cup and gotten it refilled for him and,of course, most of the time he gets the soda himself. There have been times when the bartender has acted totally disinterested but NEVER rude, cold, reluctant to serve us. If the bartender was very busy we always waited our turn and we always felt like we were waited on in turn. We felt like he got the best service on Celebrity, but Celebrity overall has the best service so that just made sense to us.

We are sailing on Celebrity in June and taking our terrific grandchildren (10 and 12) with us. We have decided to just go ahead and pre-purchase soda cards for all of us. We decided it was a small price to pay so that if anyone wanted a soda they could just have one without any big deal. Taking this cruise with our grandchildren is REALLY special to us and we decided to try to make it as easy and fun as possible.

We'll pinch our pennies when we get home :D

Carnival has coke products. Just another heads up on pop. The cans are not chilled. So they pour room temp can pop over ice. Every once in a while on the Lido deck they have a fridge with chilled can pop. Sometimes you can talk the bartender into giving you one of those.

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Just an FYI - Unfortunately, you CAN NOT use the soda card for "room service" sodas. That would have to go on your S&S card instead.

Sue

Ok, so now I might just carry on some soda, just for mornings while we're getting ready instead of getting in from room service. Do you have to be sneaky about getting soda on board like the alcohol? Maybe a six-pack of bottles of Dr. Pepper or something like that. And can we pick up another one or two while in a port? I thought I read that they didn't care if you brought soda on board, but I'm not sure.

thanks!

Ok, so now I might just carry on some soda, just for mornings while we're getting ready instead of getting in from room service. Do you have to be sneaky about getting soda on board like the alcohol? Maybe a six-pack of bottles of Dr. Pepper or something like that. And can we pick up another one or two while in a port? I thought I read that they didn't care if you brought soda on board, but I'm not sure.

thanks!

I don't think it really matters. We've brought our own bottled water on board (not flying in of course; departing from LA where we live) and that's never been a problem. Nobody really drinks soda in my family but if we did want something, we'd wait until we get to port to bring it on. Soda cards can be expensive but as you said, your DH likes to drink soda but just keep in mind that juices, milk, coffee and tea are complimentary (juices may not be available at night) but on most ships we've been on, coffee and tea are available 24 hours a day in the buffet area.

thanks!

I took dh a 12 pk of soft drink, myself an 8pk bottle soft drinks, 24pk of water onboard ship without any problem. Saw a few people carrying more than me, like a 12 pk apiece. You cannot carry it your suitcase now, must be brought with your carryon. I just strap it on a luggage carrier/stoller and put it then my carry on bags on top of it and I'm good to go only one thing to have to cart around.

We are going to pre buy our liquor through Bon Voyage and have the bottles waiting in our room before we sail. I called the other day and asked if there was a limit to the amount of bottles of liquor bottles we can buy through Carnivals Bon Voyage and they said no.. I asked if we can bring our own soda for our mixers and she said yes.. Cans, bottles, liters, it didn't matter..

Does anyone know how much the soda card is?

I took dh a 12 pk of soft drink, myself an 8pk bottle soft drinks, 24pk of water onboard ship without any problem. Saw a few people carrying more than me, like a 12 pk apiece. You cannot carry it your suitcase now, must be brought with your carryon. I just strap it on a luggage carrier/stoller and put it then my carry on bags on top of it and I'm good to go only one thing to have to cart around.

would you be able to on royal carribean cruiseships? I believe they are quite strict bringing anysort of beverage onboard

Soda cards are 6 dollars per day plus 15%

It's $6 times the number of cruise days (plus the 15% gratuity).

You can't buy it for just one day. If you purchase it, you must buy it for the duration of the cruise. So, if it's a 7 day cruise it's $42 + $6.30 gratuity

That's why people say it's only worth it if you'd be drinking at least 3 sodas a day. Otherwise, just buy your sodas on a daily basis.

I used to be a huge soda drinker until about 6 months ago. My poison is Coke Zero though so I knew even if I got a soda card, they wouldn't have my drink of choice and I didn't want to pay that much $ for plain Coke (I already knew I was going to gain enough weight LOL) and Diet Coke doesn't do it for me. The night before we left on our cruise (from Whittier) we went to Wal-Mart and bought 2, 12 pks of Coke Zero. I duct taped them together and slapped a luggage tag on them to go out with our regular luggage as we had CL transfers scheduled. My husband and the couple that was traveling with us bet me that I wouldn't get it once on board. It did arrive much later than our luggage but I did get it!

Granted I didn't have soda at a meal but I was okay with water/lemon. When I was out on deck I had soooo many people ask me where I got my soda because they wanted Coke Zero. Well worth the hassle and $10ish it cost me to buy the soda + duct tape. When I cruise again, I plan on doing the same thing.

Archived