Australians we need your help

peggy1

Can you advise us about whether to get airline tickets for Australian/NZ now for cruises in Oct. 2010 or wait until we are farther out? We understand that Oct. is Spring in Australia and as such is considered shoulder period. Right now there are great fares from NYC to Syndney, but we have our sites on two cruises in October. I'm sure as soon as we purchase our arifare there will be a major drop. Right now there are fares for $999 which includes three days hotel stay from NYC., but are not for the right time period and are over soon. I know there are quite a few Australian cruise critics and I would definitely like to hear from you. Thanks.

Actually, what you really need is someone in the US who regularly flies to Australia and knows what a good fare from the US is.

If your $999 fares include taxes, it would sound to me like an absolute bargain. But I suspect that $999 is not the total cost of travel.

Anytime you can get to OZ for a grand go! October is a great month to visit as it is still cooler in the hot areas and warm enough in Tasmania so all in all a perfect month (though April is prettier in Hobart with the leaves)

Moyaroo-not an Aussie but I have the hat!

The thing is we can't get to Oz for a grand, it is closer to $1600 right now for fares in October from NYC. That is our problem. We don't know if we should wait and see if we can get the $1000 fare in October that includes 3 night hotel stays or should we just go for the higher fare and book it now. Since we are planning 2 cruises and sightseeing for about a month, we would like to get the most for our money (doesn't everyone these days). The Australian people we have met on several other cruises are so helpful, so we appreciate the advice that we get. Thank you all.

My DW and I are taking a cruise on HAL starting November 19th that starts in Sydney and ends in Auckland. On February 26, , I booked our air via Virgin Australia. Instead of booking on-line, I called the 800 number (1-800-444-0260) and talked to a young lady who was very helpful. We are starting out in Brisbane to visit friends. We leave Los Angeles on November 10 at 11:50 pm and arrive in Brisbane on November 12 at 7:45 am. We spend five days before flying to Sydney. When the cruise ends in Auckland, we fly back to Los Angeles via Brisbane. Our layover in Brisbane is 2 hours 20 minutes. The flight from LAX to Brisbane is non-stop. We were able to pick out our seat assignments for the international portion. By booking all segments of the flight, we aren't restricted to the luggage weight on the Brisbane to Sydney portion. The total price was $1115.50 per person and that included all taxes and fees. Hope this helps someone else. and drinks. We were also able to pick our seat assignment and we each chose an aisle seat across from each other. Hope this helps someone else.

Jon

My DW and I are taking a cruise on HAL starting November 19th that starts in Sydney and ends in Auckland. On February 26, , I booked our air via Virgin Australia. Instead of booking on-line, I called the 800 number (1-800-444-0260) and talked to a young lady who was very helpful. We are starting out in Brisbane to visit friends. We leave Los Angeles on November 10 at 11:50 pm and arrive in Brisbane on November 12 at 7:45 am. We spend five days before flying to Sydney. When the cruise ends in Auckland, we fly back to Los Angeles via Brisbane. Our layover in Brisbane is 2 hours 20 minutes. The flight from LAX to Brisbane is non-stop. We were able to pick out our seat assignments for the international portion. By booking all segments of the flight, we aren't restricted to the luggage weight on the Brisbane to Sydney portion. The total price was $1115.50 per person and that included all taxes and fees. Hope this helps someone else. and drinks. We were also able to pick our seat assignment and we each chose an aisle seat across from each other. Hope this helps someone else.

Jon

Just wondering if you are flying Pacific Blue for your Brisbane to Sydney or Auckland to Brisbane connections? We are flying V Australia too, but in January 2011 with a connection from Auckland to Sydney via Pacific Blue. I think V Australia will be great but wondering how it will go on Pacific Blue since we can't select seat assignments.

I think you can. This is done at check-in, including online check-in if you are able to access that.

Right they told us that we would get seat assignments when we check in at the airport but we couldn't do it online or by phoning in a head of time since the seats were purchased in a block through V Australia and not directly with Pacific Blue. I'm sure it will be fine, just a little nervous, the baggage rules are different too, but V Australia assured us that their rules applied to us. We paid $1056.00pp including all taxes and fees, we fly from LAX to Sydney, then on the return we fly Auckland, Sydney then LAX.

We're probably doing Princess Air for our January 2011 cruisetour.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what airline we are likely to to be flying from LA to Sydney and from Auckland to LA.

Here are the details of our flights: L.A. to Brisbane non-stop via Virgin Australia, on Nov 10 leaving at 11:00 pm and arriving at Brisbane on Nov 12 at 7:45 am. Brisbane to Sydney via Virgin Blue on Nov 17 at 11:00 am arriving at 1:30 pm. Auckland to Brisbane via Pacific Blue on Dec 6 at 8:00 am arriving at Brisbane at 8:40 am. Depart Brisbane for L.A. 2 hours 20 minutes later at 11:00 am arriving back at L.A. at 6:00 am five hours before we take off. Total price including taxes is $1115.50 each for a grand total of $2,231.00 for the two of us. I could not find this deal on line but by calling 1-800-444-0260. The first time I called I talked to a young lady named Leah and I called back about 30 minutes later and booked the flights with Amanda. I called from here in San Diego and they were located in Brisbane. If you go to Virgin Australia's website and click on the the box in the top center that says Inflight Services, it will tell you what if offered on the flights. You can even get a current list of movies that are available. I thought this was an outstanding price for all that we received. They even asked if we had any special requests and I told them my DW is a vegan and they said they would have a special meal for her.

Jon

If that price is true it's a bargain. No matter how you hack it Australia is a LONG way from most other places in the world so if you can get here and back for $1000 each more or less then grab it NOW. Remember also that the Aussie Dollar/US Dollar exchange rate is about 92UScents to 1 AuDollar which is good news for us and bad news for you so if you can get a good deal on airfares that's even more reason to grab it.

I did grab it. We paid for the flight when I called the second time about 30 minutes after I talked to the first person. The problem for the OP is they are coming from New York, so they will have to buy roundtrip tickets from N.Y. to L.A. Before I did that though, I would call Virgin Australia and see what the price from there would be. I would imagine they would have to fly Virgin America on that leg of the trip.

Jon

Be sure to do your research. DH and I are sailing New Zealand from Sydney in late January (high season). We live two hours from SFO. I priced SFO/SYD/SFO and then started LAX/SYD/LAX. After searching all different sites (travelocity, orbitz, etc.) I realized that it is far cheaper to fly Southwest to LAX (from our local airport) and book separate fares from LAX than to get one ticket originating in SFO. Once I found decent fares on Australia V and Air Pacific, I called them for a quote. I booked (and paid) for air tickets on Air Pacific. They fly via Fiji and it will break up the long flight (we have flown the LAX/SYD non stop 13 hour flight twice before). I ended up paying $1383.91 per person with a stopover (for 5 nights--hotel not included) in Fiji. The taxes were almost $400. Best part is that the seats are assigned (they fly 747's with individual entertainment screens) and we earn miles for our AAvantage account. I will keep my eyes open for good fares on Southwest we get closer to the end of the year.

I really don't see the fares going down, especially during Oct. 2010- Jan. 2011. I receive updates from a US travel company that specializes in Australia/New Zealand, and all their specials end late Sept.

If you can find a fare you can live with and you feel is good, grab it.

Good luck! Downunder is sooo worth the long flights.

Here are the details of our flights: L.A. to Brisbane non-stop via Virgin Australia, on Nov 10 leaving at 11:00 pm and arriving at Brisbane on Nov 12 at 7:45 am. Brisbane to Sydney via Virgin Blue on Nov 17 at 11:00 am arriving at 1:30 pm. Auckland to Brisbane via Pacific Blue on Dec 6 at 8:00 am arriving at Brisbane at 8:40 am. Depart Brisbane for L.A. 2 hours 20 minutes later at 11:00 am arriving back at L.A. at 6:00 am five hours before we take off. Total price including taxes is $1115.50 each for a grand total of $2,231.00 for the two of us. I could not find this deal on line but by calling 1-800-444-0260. The first time I called I talked to a young lady named Leah and I called back about 30 minutes later and booked the flights with Amanda. I called from here in San Diego and they were located in Brisbane. If you go to Virgin Australia's website and click on the the box in the top center that says Inflight Services, it will tell you what if offered on the flights. You can even get a current list of movies that are available. I thought this was an outstanding price for all that we received. They even asked if we had any special requests and I told them my DW is a vegan and they said they would have a special meal for her.

Jon

We just flew V Australia to LA and back. Enjoyed every minute. You will be very happy with this airline.

I did grab it. We paid for the flight when I called the second time about 30 minutes after I talked to the first person. The problem for the OP is they are coming from New York, so they will have to buy roundtrip tickets from N.Y. to L.A. Before I did that though, I would call Virgin Australia and see what the price from there would be. I would imagine they would have to fly Virgin America on that leg of the trip.

Jon

You did very well with that deal, just to fly from Auckland to Brisbane would be approx $300. That is one heck of a deal.

You will probably have to change airports in Brisbane and go to the domestic terminal.

You did very well with that deal, just to fly from Auckland to Brisbane would be approx $300. That is one heck of a deal.

You will probably have to change airports in Brisbane and go to the domestic terminal.

Yeah, I felt we really got a good price considering all the flights we are booked on. Just a quick question. I understand we would have to go to the domestic terminal when we fly from Brisbane to Sydney which is five days after we first arrive from Los Angeles. However, flying from Auckland to Brisbane at the end of our adventure, wouldn't we fly into the International Terminal? Just curious.

Jon

Yeah, I felt we really got a good price considering all the flights we are booked on. Just a quick question. I understand we would have to go to the domestic terminal when we fly from Brisbane to Sydney which is five days after we first arrive from Los Angeles. However, flying from Auckland to Brisbane at the end of our adventure, wouldn't we fly into the International Terminal? Just curious.

Jon

kia ora,

Yes. as it's an international flight. Depending on wind, it should take 2.5 to 3 hours.

Aquarians

Jon

Yes you will fly into the international terminal which means that you will be in transit and will not have to go through customs.

It is only a short flight from Auckland as Aquarians pointed out, the aircraft used in this route are not your normal international planes, as the staff on our flight last December with Qantas pointed out it is more like a domestic flight. The plane we flew on was very ordinary, only 1 aisle, a plane you would expect for a domestic flight, but we made it safely and that is the main thing.

Thanks for all the input. We ended up booking through Qantas from JFK to LA onto Syd. We will fly in a couple of days early and see some of Sydney and perhaps be able to go to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Park. We will have part of the day between the two cruises we are doing to see a little more of Sydney. We are hoping we can check in our bags onto the Sun Princess from the Dawn Princess early. Does anyone know the earliest you can check your luggage? We booked with Qantas so we could get seat assignments. The reservations told us upon getting the seat assignments done for all the legs of the flight that they only consider this a REQUEST and do not guarantee that you will get the seats? I haven't ever heard of this. I'm hoping we get the actual seats as I have to been concerned with extra leg room for my husband who has knee/leg problems. We are so excited and are so looking forward to this trip. Again, thanks to all for the information given.

We booked with Qantas so we could get seat assignments. The reservations told us upon getting the seat assignments done for all the legs of the flight that they only consider this a REQUEST and do not guarantee that you will get the seats? I haven't ever heard of this.
That is the actually the status of an allocated seat on all airlines that do seat allocations.

US airlines that do seat allocations in advance tend to give the impression that when you book a ticket on an aircraft and get a seat allocation, that is "your seat" in the same way that you get "your seat" if you buy a ticket in a theatre. But it's not true, as many people rapidly find out. A reservation means only "a seat on that flight", not any particular seat. Seat allocations can always be changed by the airline.

So Qantas is simply being honest and candid with you about the status of your seat allocation.

Thanks for all the input. We ended up booking through Qantas from JFK to LA onto Syd. We will fly in a couple of days early and see some of Sydney and perhaps be able to go to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Park. We will have part of the day between the two cruises we are doing to see a little more of Sydney. We are hoping we can check in our bags onto the Sun Princess from the Dawn Princess early. Does anyone know the earliest you can check your luggage? We booked with Qantas so we could get seat assignments. The reservations told us upon getting the seat assignments done for all the legs of the flight that they only consider this a REQUEST and do not guarantee that you will get the seats? I haven't ever heard of this. I'm hoping we get the actual seats as I have to been concerned with extra leg room for my husband who has knee/leg problems. We are so excited and are so looking forward to this trip. Again, thanks to all for the information given.

Qantas would be telling you that in case the aircraft changes, which would be highly unlikely on your flight. Also remember to do your online checkin upto 24hrs beforehand, and you will then actually see your seat allocations.

I'm hoping we get the actual seats as I have to been concerned with extra leg room for my husband who has knee/leg problems.

If your seat is an exit row seat they may ask if you are able to assist other passengers in case of emergency. If it is a bulkhead seat they may reallocate to a passenger who has a bassinet if you dont let them know about your husbands problem.

If your seat is realocated and your husband is in stress during the flight let them know (after the plane takes off) and they will most likely to upgrade you both to business if there is room, which there most likely will be.

Archived