Choosing a hotel in Cairo with Ramses Tour

dog

We are considering an overnight in Cairo tour with Ramses and need help choosing a hotel.

Any suggestions from people who have stayed there in the last couple of years?

Since we are thinking of going to the Cairo museum when it opens in the morning we'd prefer to stay in Cairo.

dog:)

We stayed at the Oberoi Mena House Pyramids and it was wonderful ... the pyramid was right outside our window, and we had breakfast right in the shadow of the pyramid. But it is some way from Cairo.

The next time we stayed at the Nile Hilton and really liked that. It was just a walk across the courtyard to the OLD Egyptian Museum. Being at the door the second the Museum opens is the right idea. Then make a beeline for the Mummy Room while others make their way slowly. We were in there practically alone with the royal mummies ... eerie but fascinating!

check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/egyptmain.html and at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We stayed at the Oberoi Mena House Pyramids and it was wonderful ... the pyramid was right outside our window, and we had breakfast right in the shadow of the pyramid. But it is some way from Cairo.

The next time we stayed at the Nile Hilton and really liked that. It was just a walk across the courtyard to the OLD Egyptian Museum. Being at the door the second the Museum opens is the right idea. Then make a beeline for the Mummy Room while others make their way slowly. We were in there practically alone with the royal mummies ... eerie but fascinating!

check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/egyptmain.html and at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Merced Mike,

I remember talking to you on another cruise we went on. Can't remember which one it was. But I remember you because we have a houseboat at Lake McClure and we pass through Merced almost every weekend in the summer.

So would you suggest staying in Cairo instead of Oberio Mena?

Is there anything you would change, like not to miss and what to miss?

Thanks Trish

Merced Mike,

Thanks for the response. I did check out your photos. They give me a good idea of what we'd like to do.

I will check out the 2 hotels you mention.

thanks again

We were on a 14 day tour that included 5 days in Cairo as well as the Nile cruise. We stayed at the Rames Hilton midtown and loved it. Really convenient for the Museum, Citadel, Mosque, etc. The Hilton has great service and all rooms have a great view. Staying near the Pyramids is not worth the effort. We stated there for three days (wont name the hotel) and it wasn't pleasant. Old, worn,impersonal, and expensive. If you want to walk to the pyramids it is a challenge due to the traffic and the street people are relentless.

I couldn't find the Nile Hilton website. Someone on a review website said it was going to be renovated.

I will check out the Ramses Hilton.

thanks

The Nile Hilton is no longer a Hilton, as someone reminded me just a couple of days ago. I forget what the new name is -- maybe do a search on this board and you'll find the post. It is truly the MOST convenient for the museum and the square that it's on is fun to walk at night. However, the Ramses Hilton is probably the better hotel.

I heard that the Mena House was really nice. But we chose LeMeridian because 1-it was cheaper and 2-we knew we wouldn't be in the room much. It was rvery nice. We did not have a pyramid view room, but we could see the pyramids from outside the hotel. The breakfast the next morning was wonderful! We were in our room a total of 9 hours, most of that time asleep. I know that Ramses will work with you whichever you choose. We left our hotel at 7:45AM and went straight to the pyramids and practically had the place to ourselves. Our guide seemed to know the best time to do the things we wanted to do, and we had no wait time anywhere. (I had emailed Ramses a list of what we "had" to see and what sort of things we liked to do--shop locally-- and left the itinerary up to them. It worked perfectly.)

We ate at Fel Fela just down the street from LeMeridian at our guide's recommendation and my meal was very good. I had the chicken kabobs and my DH had the grilled pigeon. Skip the grilled pigeon and go for the stuffed pigeon instead if you want some local fare.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Our's was wonderful. We felt safe at all times and got to see so many things. I would not miss the Khan el Khalili bazaar, the camel ride (really!), and the Coptic area of Cairo. We loved going to the Mohammed Ali mosque and interacting with all the school groups. They were so friendly and welcoming, and all wanted a picture with us. We have some great pictures and memories of these happy faces.

Jo Ann

cruisemom & jaylyn,

Thanks for the responses. I enjoy reading about your experiences and am learning alot before we actually book with Ramses. Any tips are apprecitated.

I like the idea of visiting the Step Pyramid and Giza Pyramids on our first day, saving the Cairo Museum for the next morning and getting there as soon as they open. (It will be a Sat. & Sun. for us).

Can anyone comment on the Marriott (Palace) in Cairo? Would you recommend it or not? Why?

thanks,

I just booked at overnight tour in Cairo with Ramses. So far the booking process has been very simple and George answers all your questions quickly and easily. We are staying at Mena House which looks nice and decided to upgrade to the pyramid view.

I just booked at overnight tour in Cairo with Ramses. So far the booking process has been very simple and George answers all your questions quickly and easily. We are staying at Mena House which looks nice and decided to upgrade to the pyramid view.

Can you tell us when you are going and post back on this thread when you return with any tips?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me which hotel Princess uses for their overnight in Cairo?

Has anyone booked their own hotel and just did the touring with Ramses?

Thanks

Can you tell us when you are going and post back on this thread when you return with any tips?

Thanks

Sure will. I originally booked a hotel myself and it seemed like a better deal at the same hotel to book through Ramses. We'll see but I'll report back. The cruise sails may 29- June 10

Sure will. I originally booked a hotel myself and it seemed like a better deal at the same hotel to book through Ramses. We'll see but I'll report back. The cruise sails may 29- June 10

Wonderful. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Can anyone tell me which hotel Princess uses for their overnight in Cairo?

Thanks

As of a couple of years ago, Princess was using the Conrad for their overnight in Cairo. It's a really nice hotel but the location is not great -- it's on the Nile but far from anything if you enjoy getting out and taking a walk.

Thanks

Some folks on my roll call did this with both Ramses and Moustafa. The passengers used points to get free rooms at Le Meredian and the tour operators discounted the total cost accordingly.

Best,

Mia

Archived