Nick cruise

maryivo

NCL was in the wrong not to tell customers about this when booking or to notify already booked passengers of the change. In my opinion, this Nick theme could be the difference between a cruise with children and a children’s cruise. My husband and I have absolutely no problem with the first and fully expect there to be children on board when we cruise. But as a couple traveling without kids, this information definitely would have impacted my decision to book this particular sailing. I’m sure that families who would have liked to have taken a Nick themed cruise, but now can’t because it is sold out, would have appreciated this info as well. Believe me, as someone locked into this sailing, I hope that all of my concerns are completely unjustified and that this turns out to be as wonderful as our other NCL cruise.

We are more concerned with the sold out issue than the Nick theme. But, again, we probably would not have gone with this sailing because a first time Nick theme could lead to an overcrowded, sold out ship. Surprise. :rolleyes:

Just had my TA call NCL and they told her the 4/24/10 is not the total nick theme cruise!

Thanks for checking that. Great to know! Guess we will have a lot of posting to do when we get back. This has really caused quite a stir and hopefully we will be able to answer people's questions when we return. (Don't care for being NCLs guinea pig, though. ;))

NCL was in the wrong not to tell customers about this when booking or to notify already booked passengers of the change. In my opinion, this Nick theme could be the difference between a cruise with children and a children’s cruise. My husband and I have absolutely no problem with the first and fully expect there to be children on board when we cruise. But as a couple traveling without kids, this information definitely would have impacted my decision to book this particular sailing.

Totally agree! I'm really disappointed about the Nick theme, too. I like children a lot! But there's a difference between taking a cruise with children and taking a children's cruise, as you noted.

I have a strong aversion to adults dressed up in character costumes. (yes I am "clown-a-phobic" and I don't like mimes, either). Needless to say, I am not planning to visit Mickey in Orlando as one of our shore excursions. I wasn't intending to spend much time at the pool area anyway, but now that I know that's where some of the Nick activities will be happening I will make sure to steer clear! And I also want to go on record as saying I will freak out if I have to come face to face with someone in a Spongebob suit in any of the hallways, dining rooms, or other public spaces!

Guess we'll see what happens and hope for the best! Maybe it will all be fine for everyone. Hopefully the Spongebob component will be very low-key!

Totally agree! I'm really disappointed about the Nick theme, too. I like children a lot! But there's a difference between taking a cruise with children and taking a children's cruise, as you noted.

I have a strong aversion to adults dressed up in character costumes. (yes I am "clown-a-phobic" and I don't like mimes, either). Needless to say, I am not planning to visit Mickey in Orlando as one of our shore excursions. I wasn't intending to spend much time at the pool area anyway, but now that I know that's where some of the Nick activities will be happening I will make sure to steer clear! And I also want to go on record as saying I will freak out if I have to come face to face with someone in a Spongebob suit in any of the hallways, dining rooms, or other public spaces!

Guess we'll see what happens and hope for the best! Maybe it will all be fine for everyone. Hopefully the Spongebob component will be very low-key!

your post made me laugh really hard!

LOL. I don't have the same aversion to character costumes, but I understand what you mean about clowns - they creep me out, too!

That is too funny! Just a heads up, I read on a post from someone (can't remember where now) that instead of that nice glass of champagne you used to get when boarding, Spongebob is standing there to greet you (without complimentary champagne). Not sure if this will happen on our cruise, but brace yourself just in case. :eek:

That is too funny! Just a heads up, I read on a post from someone (can't remember where now) that instead of that nice glass of champagne you used to get when boarding, Spongebob is standing there to greet you (without complimentary champagne). Not sure if this will happen on our cruise, but brace yourself just in case. :eek:

If that's true, that cruise is going to be full of Squidwards.

I found the original post that I read this on. It's No. 8 of this thread. It was on the Gem, though. So maybe you're safe. But, I have definitely read in many, many places, no more complimentary champagne on boarding. :(

Okay. Here's what I'm gonna do.... Can't change the reality that Spongebob is on-board my 5/15 cruise. Our paths are bound to cross. It's destiny. Fate. Meant to be. Especially if NCL has lined up Spongebob to be on hand to greet all the arriving guests! (say it isn't so!)

At any rate.... What if I just embrace this as a gift? A learning experience. Call it an opportunity. A chance to grow stronger. A cross-cultural encounter. Maybe, just maybe, I'll come out of this a better person if I try really, really hard. Sigh....

clown.jpg

I've already seen SpongeBob standing there when you board - and this is not the Jewel. He has been at the kids crew table where they are welcoming parents to give them info on the activities. I just give the entire area wide berth. ;)

I've already seen SpongeBob standing there when you board - and this is not the Jewel. He has been at the kids crew table where they are welcoming parents to give them info on the activities. I just give the entire area wide berth. ;)

Just the thought of it gives me sweaty palms. Seriously.

That picture is terrifying! :eek: I hope this guy isn't on my cruise.

I promise to report back after my sailing 4/24, that way you will know how to avoid a face to spongy face encounter.

(...hyperventilating a wee bit...)

I would SO appreciate a detailed report of whereabouts and sightings! I'll be waiting to hear back from you asap post-return!

I believe it was Miguel de Cervantes who once penned "Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory. " Great words to live by.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back Saturday from the NCL Jewel, first Nick at Sea sailing. As far as Nick characters go, I can honestly say, we did not see Spongebob or any of his friends even once. We were not traveling with kids, so I am guessing that the characters were at the planned family activities, kids pool, kids club, and character breakfasts.

The sailing was sold out. There were a lot of children and babies on board. Adults looking for a quiet, romantic cruise should know this before booking. I would classify this as a family friendly cruise. This might not be for everyone.

Archived