Can you walk back to ship from Rockley/Accra?

drozdenko

Hi,

We're headed to Barbados in less then a month and we're thinking about doing this:

Take a taxi & get dropped off at the Hilton

Walk to Rockley/Accra (hang out & have lunch)

Then is it possible to keep walking on the beach to the ship/town area?

Thanks.

Lee

if you get dropped at the Hilton and walk the beach to Rockley/Accra and want to then walk back to the port, you will be back tracking (which isn't a problem just how much walking do you want to do). you could be dropped at Rockley, spend some time there and then head down the boardwalk and the beach to the Hilton.. stop, swim.. then walk on the road to rejoin the beach just past the yacht club. walk around Carlisle Bay into Bridgetown (you can get off the beach around the area of the boatyard. Then walk along the Bridgetown Boardwalk to the Princess Alice Highway, past the fisheries complex to the Port entrance. I would say it would take you at least an hour depending on how fast you walk, could be more.. the Boardwalk from Accra to Hilton is about 20 to 30 min. and then at least that or more to the port.

ohh..thanks. I thought I was going in the right direction. I'll start at Accra then walk back that way past the Hilton.

if you get dropped at the Hilton and walk the beach to Rockley/Accra and want to then walk back to the port, you will be back tracking (which isn't a problem just how much walking do you want to do). you could be dropped at Rockley, spend some time there and then head down the boardwalk and the beach to the Hilton.. stop, swim.. then walk on the road to rejoin the beach just past the yacht club. walk around Carlisle Bay into Bridgetown (you can get off the beach around the area of the boatyard. Then walk along the Bridgetown Boardwalk to the Princess Alice Highway, past the fisheries complex to the Port entrance. I would say it would take you at least an hour depending on how fast you walk, could be more.. the Boardwalk from Accra to Hilton is about 20 to 30 min. and then at least that or more to the port.

it is a fairly long walk.. but if they stop.. and you can now do almost all of it on the beach.. or boardwalk. .. you have to go off the beach at the hilton and around yacht club on the main road, then get back on to the beach just at the Bay street Esplanade, then when you get down to the BoatYard you can walk just past there, and there is a side street you can walk up to get to the main road.

ok.. maybe I'm wrong on my timing.. but at any point along there.. Hilton, Bay Street, BoatYard. you can find a taxi to take you back.. just be mindful of the time..

I would say don't waste your time walking that long of distance and just do the taxi! Keep in mind that it is hot and you will be carrying most likely beach towels and other stuff that gets heavy and wearing flip flops and all you will want is a nice air conditioned ride back.

I just came back from a cruise and I just took the taxi straight to Accra, we agreed on a 4 hour stay (got there at 11am and picked us up at 3pm) It was about a 15-20 min taxi ride. It was a long hot day on the beach and there is no way I would have wanted to hoof it back that far.

The best deal on the beach for chairs and umbrellas is at the far right end at Bar Ka'nai. In the middle where all the vendors are, they wanted $20 a chair and $10 umbrella...but we walked down by Bar Ka'nai and it was $5 per chair and $5 umbrella AND they actually refund that back with a drink or food purchase..so basically all you are doing is paying for some drinks and eats and getting the chair and umbrella free!

It was a great day...relaxing on the beach with a bushwacker in hand, jumping the little waves in the water..it rocked..but I was happy to hop in the van and head back to port. Gave me time to shop too!

Have fun

I agree with maygoddess. Our day at Bar Kan'ei was wonderful too. We got there about 9:45, walked around, took some pictures and waited for the bar to open, which they did promptly at 10:00. The chairs were comfortable, the drinks were good and my DH really enjoyed the flying fish. The beach was absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed walking the boardwalk.

The best deal on the beach for chairs and umbrellas is at the far right end at Bar Ka'nai.

In the middle where all the vendors are, they wanted $20 a chair and $10 umbrella...

but we walked down by Bar Ka'nai and it was $5 per chair and $5 umbrella

AND they actually refund that back with a drink or food purchase..

so basically all you are doing is paying for some drinks and eats and getting the chair and umbrella free!

It was a great day...relaxing on the beach with a bushwacker in hand,

jumping the little waves in the water..it rocked..but I was happy to hop in the van and head back to port.

Gave me time to shop too!

This is that place..

BarK-071.jpg

Aplmac,your photographs are Heaven!

Do you have any pics/info on the Harbour Lights Beach Facility

Sorry no pics of Lights (check out the other thread where U posed same question)

All I can offer you is this washed-up photo taken about 400 yds. away from Lights

CBay-4.jpg

-near the Yacht Club....

hopefully demonstrating the sort of balmy sea conditions to be found along Carlisle Bay most days of the year.

Archived