These ships in strong storms

Thanks for posting this. I also clicked on another YouTube video that was shown right after this one called "Never Again A Cruise." Just take a gander at that. Right out of Titanic. Let's hope we never have to experience that. I think that would end MY cruising days as well!

I like the waves at the end - Now that 's cruisin :D

Woke up one night on Explorer going through a force 11 gale and my bacony curtains were standing straight out the balcony door - the wind was whistling through the ship even with my entry door closed:eek:

Loved It!

We were on the Indie last year and left Southampton in a terrible storm. Can't remember the date, but we had just missed seeing the Oasis.

Apparently, the first night out a freak wave hit at about 3.00am and went straight OVER the Bridge. There was a huge bang which woke everyone up - except us :D :D

We find that these large ships just don't rock'n'roll like the smaller ones. We went to the Arctic on the Prinsendam a couple of years ago - a great trip - but boy, does she rock and pitch.

We were on the same sailing as the link, I've got a link to my video below in my signature. Halfway through the clip above is a video of the Royal Prom, they had to close it when a window of a prom cabin shattered, thats how bad the movement was. Luckily we didn't get affected by seasickness so enjoyed the ship while it was 2/3 empty - everyone took to their cabins.

The strangest feeling was sitting in the theatre at the front of the ship watching the show (kudos to Elton John who played through it all :D) and we were lifting and dropping in our seats like a rollercoaster ride as the ship went up and down.

The Capt told us that this was the roughest weather he had sailed a cruise ship through while there were pax on board but was impressed himself how well Indy handled it, there wasn't much side to side movement it was mostly up and down, the wind slowed us down to an average of 2 knots so it took the ship a day to get through the storm :)

We were on it as well. We had been watching the forecast were expecting a bad trip! As said, it was a force 11 gusting force 12, and I think they said they were 50 foot waves. I was really impressed how Indy handled the storm.

We took the pills, and did not have any problems, apart from doors and drawers opening. In fact we enjoyed it so much we booked a January 2011 trip to the Med, it could not be much warse than that.

Might have been a different story in a small cruise ship!

Richard

Richard - same here - we were a bit put off at the thought of the bay of biscay in Jan, however after this cruise, we realised nothing could be worse than that...and it wasn't so bad that we didn't enjoy it - out of interest are you booked on the 8th Jan cruise, it looks like our paths keep crossing as we are on the 21 May Eclipse sailing too :)

Archived