These ships in strong storms

One of the things that I have noticed about ships is that the worst part of rough seas is the rising and falling that always occurs. That is what causes the pools to flow from bow to stern and vice versa. On the Oasis though I noticed that there was no rising and falling but there was rolling from side to side. This was really easy to see in all the pools which were flowing solely from side to side. That was good for the beach pool that acted like a real beach with proper flowing water and the aqua theater which overflowed onto the stage instead of the crowd's feet in the front row.

check out the independence of the seas in a force 11 gale. these ships are tough!

That is quite a video. What were the wave heights? We were on the Ruby last month and the wave heights were 8-9 feet; and, we still tendered to Princess Cays, but the rides were interesting. However, it was nothing compared to your video.

Loved the Kittyhawk too;) Can't beleive that big helicopter stayed put!

We experienced the wave pool phenomanon on Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston our second cruise and my DH got in!:eek: He loved it being thrown almost out of the end of the pool, and I was too cold and lazy to go get the camera so I didn't get any pics:( but the deck patrol came around about ten minutes later and ordered him out, they drained all the pools and put nets over and didn't fill them again till the return trip. Did anybody see the Dicovery channel special about Rogue Waves last week? It is definitely a possibility that one of our ships could be capsized by one, at least that's what the marine scientists on this show confirmed. But I must say, the Splendour trip was one of my faves.

We cruised the Bay of Biscayne in September 2009 and it felt rough to me but the Captain said it was the smoothest sailing he had ever had through those notoriously bad waters. Beware of cruises that travel that bay.

Amazing Video, waves looked like they were almost as high as the promenade Deck . Never sailed in that rough a seas and not sure I would want to. coming back from our 17 day Panama FT laud to Seattle, & leaving SF to Seattle, last two days we hit high seas ( 20 to 30') but that was a baby compared to those waves.

Archived