need info on beaches and snorkeling in Grand Cayman and Cozumel

We have a 5 day family cruise planned for the end of June. We are going on Carnival Inspiration. There is a total of 9 of us with kids and grandchildren. Does anyone know if we can get a cab to the beaches other than going with the cruise line and if we are able to rent snorkeling equipment and get lunch? If so which beach. They offer "Seven Mile" beach through Carnival on Grand Cayman and I'm not sure which beach in Cozumel. Has anyone had experience. We were there years ago but I'm a little nervous venturing out without the protection of the cruise line. We've cruised before but not for several years.

Me and my sister went to Seven Mile Beach on our own. It was very easy to get a cab. There are cabs out front just waiting to take you where ever you want to go. We went in a van with 4 other people. Seven Mile Beach was alot of fun for us. We loved the snorkeling. We did the Twister Boat and Paradise Island or something like that with the cruise line. It was OK, but next time I would probably do something on my own. There was no snorkeling on the beach, but they so have toys to play on, like a trampoline, water bikes stuff like that. Kids would love that stuff. Have fun on your cruise.

We have a 5 day family cruise planned for the end of June. We are going on Carnival Inspiration. There is a total of 9 of us with kids and grandchildren. Does anyone know if we can get a cab to the beaches other than going with the cruise line and if we are able to rent snorkeling equipment and get lunch? If so which beach. They offer "Seven Mile" beach through Carnival on Grand Cayman and I'm not sure which beach in Cozumel. Has anyone had experience. We were there years ago but I'm a little nervous venturing out without the protection of the cruise line. We've cruised before but not for several years.

ok i've done a ton of snorkeling and just went to both these ports....you may read the port forums too but heres what i can tell u

7 mile beach is really nice, but NOT good for snorkeling...we went. Also tried Cemetery beach....all the coral is DEAD there dont go there either...

if you need an acual BEACH with sand then go to 7 mile but u cant really snorkel there...

if snorkeling is more important go to EDEN ROCK...you can walk there from the ship. Google "Eden rock dive center"

in cozumel we went to "Chankanaab" park...easy taxi ride you can do it on your own, plenty of taxis waiting to take u back. $10 taxi, up to 4 people (its per taxi not per person)

i think like $18 a person to get in there....snorkeling is pretty good, not a ton of coral but LOTS of fish, we had a great time. and the beach is really nice there, hammocks, a bar, shade, etc. Iguanas running all over. I'd recommend goin there

heres my review, theres pics of both...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145111&highlight=

A little better snorkeling in Cozumel is the Money Bar ( old Dzul Ha) which is on the northern end of the reef and a bit closer to the pier. This is one of the places snorkel boats go to. Second Eden Rock for Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman is cheap by useing public transportation. For a quite section of beach with decent snorkeling on Cayman try Cemetary Beach. It usually isn't very crowded. For good snorkeling but no beach try Eden Rock. You can walk to it from the tender dock. You can rent equipement at Eden Rock, but not at CB.

Cozumel is easy to do by taxi. The Money Bar at Dzul Ha is good snorkeling from shore or you could pay an entry fee and go to Chankanaab Park. CP is a neat place for everyone.

I'm trying to find out about best snorkeling sites also, going for our second time in November. But when we went to Eden Rock (2006) just offshore from the dive shop, that reef was also pretty dead! Nothing but Tarpon and barracuda there. And we dove not snorkeled so if there had been anything to see we would've. No tropicals nor good coral there. Has someone out there been to both Coral Gardens and to the reef sites to snorkel. We're trying to decide which of these is best. Thanks

I have found the best snorkeling on Grand Cayman can be found on the East End at a location called Queen's Monument (need a rental car) or on North Side at the Rum Point barrier reef and the coral shoal referred to as Testudo's Garden in this post (see #2 for map locations):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k3395345-Lion_Fish_Invasion-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

A little better snorkeling in Cozumel is the Money Bar ( old Dzul Ha) which is on the northern end of the reef and a bit closer to the pier. This is one of the places snorkel boats go to. Second Eden Rock for Grand Cayman.

When we went to the Money Bar, the tide was too rough, flags posting warning not to go in, so walked further down the road to Chakannab and snorkeled there. Not sure if you would want to walk between the two places with family though.

Archived