Late 2010-2011 Rates

I just got my catalogue for late 2010 and the winter of 2011. I was quite surprised to see almost all fares at 2-for-1 and many with up to another $3k off. I thought pricing was firming, but that does not appear to be the case. We have also received advertising from SS and thier 60% deals are definitely far more scarce. Any thoughts?

I just got my catalogue for late 2010 and the winter of 2011. I was quite surprised to see almost all fares at 2-for-1 and many with up to another $3k off. I thought pricing was firming, but that does not appear to be the case. We have also received advertising from SS and thier 60% deals are definitely far more scarce. Any thoughts?

The prices in this brochure (assume it's the same one I received) were actually higher than the price for my January cruise at the time I booked it so I'm not sure what you mean by "firming"?

I also wasn't exactly sure what firming meant. Regent is reportedly 80% booked for 2010, so I don't expect to see further incentives to book (except for certain itineraries that typically run less than full). We're also on the Silversea and Seabourn mailing lists. Seabourn in particular has run some incredible specials recently. . . . they tend to be only a couple of months out, and certain categories are full. Still, if you have the time and like the itinerary, it's worth trying.

I just got my catalogue for late 2010 and the winter of 2011. I was quite surprised to see almost all fares at 2-for-1 and many with up to another $3k off. {Still offering incentives} I thought pricing was firming {Going up and staying there} , but that does not appear to be the case. We have also received advertising from SS and their 60% deals are definitely far more scarce. {They appeared to firm up, why didn't Regent?} Any thoughts?

I quoted the post with my interpretations inserted between {} marks. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it.

As to my thoughts, I'd have to compare the brochure prices to see whether 2-for-1 is the same or higher. Without comparing, my guess is that the brochure price is higher, thus the 2-for-1 price is higher, thus "firmed". That's because I'm most familiar with the Oceania side of the family, and they have traditionally and successfully used "2-for-1" as a marketing tool. It's relatively meaningless to experienced readers; it simply means that the actual fares are a 50% discount from the brochure fares, which can be anything they like.

Traditionally, however, Oceania fares increase as cruises get closer and ships begin to fill. Usually, this takes the form of "2-for-1" (50% discount) being replaced with 40% discount, and even 30% on some popular itineraries. Initially, fares start out at "2-for-1 and free air", and after the percentage discounts are changed closer to sailing, even the "free air" has been dropped for a few extra-popular itineraries, raising the effective price and actually establishing that the earlier air offering was effectively "free".

I don't know whether Regent will strictly adhere to this pricing policy, but it has been extremely successful with Oceania (most folks who are experienced with mass market cruise lines can hardly believe that prices actually go UP close to time of sailing), and it may be beginning to permeate Regent pricing, as well.

Some itineraries are more difficult to sell, and as long as bookings are running slower than projected, incentives (such as the $3,000 discounts) will be offered. Again, there are usually offered in the early days, and tend to go away as time moves on (such as the recent, March 31, disappearance of some incentives). Itineraries that are very slow reaching their targeted bookings may have additional incentives added, some up to nearly the time of sailing. Such itineraries are liable to be changed in subsequent years.

I don't have any thoughts about Silverseas pricing, because I rarely, if ever, think about them. To me, they are a different product.

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with cruise prices right now, as well as wild claims about sales and bookings, especially in the luxury market. Carnival admitted as much recently when it announced some very substantial discounts on Seabourn cruises. There are only so many luxury cruise passengers to go around and, with increasing capacity on many lines, I would expect all "deluxe" and luxury lines to offer substantial discounts in the coming months. At some point the luxury market will stabilize, either with more passengers willing to open their wallets wider or with a reduction in capacity. But until then, look for bargains to appear.

We had received several emails warning us about the special discounts disappearing on April 1st, and looked closely at the December 10th Voyager Caribbean trip. But I just went to rssc.com, and as far as I can see, the extra discounts are *still* in place (and there is availability in all cabins.)

Great feedback! Horndorner you speak the same language. Let me share one more item. At Torres del Paine Natl. Park RSSC does an 11.5 hr shore excursion at $1799 pp; we're doing an overnight at the same level (we hope) as SS provides= to 36 hrs-- 999 pp. Makes you wonder:confused:

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with cruise prices right now, as well as wild claims about sales and bookings, especially in the luxury market. Carnival admitted as much recently when it announced some very substantial discounts on Seabourn cruises. There are only so many luxury cruise passengers to go around and, with increasing capacity on many lines, I would expect all "deluxe" and luxury lines to offer substantial discounts in the coming months. At some point the luxury market will stabilize, either with more passengers willing to open their wallets wider or with a reduction in capacity. But until then, look for bargains to appear.

Hope you are right! It does seem that Regent is drawing people in (particularly those who typicaly cruise on "premium" cruise lines) because of the included airfare and excursions. We really want to try Seabourn. . . . just can't seem to find the right itinerary at the right time of the year. Plus, when you add Business Class airfare to Seabourn, the "sale" diminishes considerably.

Archived