Thank you, Oceania

cruzmaven

Ok, I admit it. I am addicted to the CC Boards and check them frequently during the day (except when I'm cruising).

I spend a lot of time "lurking" on the Celebrity and HAL boards and (lately) the Crystal board. What I see are threads upon threads, debating the ins and outs of dress codes in general, formal nights in particular, smoking, alcohol smuggling, etc. Often these "discussions" get heated with people on both sides of the particular debate getting at times quite nasty.

I enjoy these discussions for their entertainment value (the HAL board in particular is a hoot!). But, they also make me realize how happy I am not to have to worry about such trivial matters on Oceania. So I wanted to take a moment to thank Oceania for establishing policies which treat their passengers like adults and which eliminate needless stress so we can get more enjoyment out of our cruises.

Plus, it allows us on the Oceania board to discuss much more important issues, such as our favorite meals on board and our expectations of the Marina class ships.

Thank you, FDR and Oceania management, job well done!

I spend a lot of time "lurking" on the Celebrity and HAL boards and (lately) the Crystal board. What I see are threads upon threads, debating the ins and outs of dress codes in general, formal nights in particular, smoking, alcohol smuggling, etc. Often these "discussions" get heated with people on both sides of the particular debate getting at times quite nasty.

I enjoy these discussions for their entertainment value (the HAL board in particular is a hoot!). But, they also make me realize how happy I am not to have to worry about such trivial matters on Oceania. So I wanted to take a moment to thank Oceania for establishing policies which treat their passengers like adults and which eliminate needless stress so we can get more enjoyment out of our cruises.

Plus, it allows us on the Oceania board to discuss much more important issues, such as our favorite meals on board and our expectations of the Marina class ships.

i agree, especially after spending the last two weeks considering a cruise on Celebrity because my brother wanted a shorter, less expensive cruise with us. Oh boy, what a difference. I am happy to say that idea did not work out and my brother/sis-n-law have agreed to wait until next year when we can all sail together on O'. They were on Regatta several years ago so they know how wonderful Oceania is; we are looking forward to our third sailing (maiden voyage) with O.

Three cheers!

So far we have done 3 cruises, all on Oceania. We have two more booked, also on Oceania. We are afraid to try another line....,that it just wouldn't measure up. And Regent is just too pricey for us.

My husband has asthma and can't tolerate smoke so needless to say, we could never stay in a room where smoking had been allowed. O suits us perfectly.

Mo

I agree wholeheartedly.

We started cruising with Oceania specifically because they did not have formal evenings and fixed dining and have stuck with them ever since.

The country club casual dress code allows passengers to dress up or down as they please, and the relaxed attitude toward bringing your own wine to the restuarants (and paying corkage) means that we can enjoy wines that are not necessarily available on board.

Long may it last!!!

Ok, I admit it. I am addicted to the CC Boards and check them frequently during the day (except when I'm cruising).

I have just been reading the HAL board as per your advice for entertainment. In particular a thread on smoking on board etc. I tried to reply to a post but the thread had been pulled from the board! BB is everywhere!

Wholeheartedly agree with sentiments of the first poster!! We are taking our 4th cruise with O in June and are so looking forward to the wonderful food, friendly staff, and relaxed attitude on board. We have no need to look further!!

Couldn't agree more -- both about appreciating O's dress code policies and about enjoying the melodrama on the HAL boards regarding dress. It's Grey's Anatomy without the blood.

I don't just lurk...I participate in a lot of these boards...because I also cruise on multiple cruise lines. I cruise largely for the itinerary and the timing and find I can enjoy most cruises...

That said, what does set Oceania apart for me is precisely what you allude to...and more:

Dress Code, WELL-MANAGED open seating, uncrowded ships, dignified and sophisticated atmosphere...Well, that and great and unusual itineraries...

Let's face it, some people actually like "formal nights"...They are an excuse to "dress up" which, apparently some people like doing...However, in these days when airlines severely restrict what one can bring along as luggage, it has become problematic for those going on a long cruise...How does one pack all of the clothes one needs for a long cruise PLUS formal wear in 50 pounds? And some of that formal wear just does not do well after being jammed in a suitcase.

Nowadays, at least here in the Los Angeles area, one almost never needs to "dress up" to go to even the nicer restaurants in town...One wouldn't go dressed like a slob, but very nice casual clothes are perfectly fitting...shouldn't be any different on a cruise vacation...Oceania recognizes that--and makes packing and planning a whole lot easier on us...and most people in the dining room on Oceania seem to be dressed in a perfectly elegant, though casual, manner...

Now, on the open seating thing, I have been on ships (mmmm...Princess) where open seating is managed poorly...people are given pagers and have had to wait an hour for a table...it just does not work...I think this is largely due to the size and overcrowdedness of the ship...but Oceania's ships are spacious and the dining rooms easily capable of accommodating the demand...

Now, as to "drama" on other boards, I don't think HAL and Celebrity are that bad...If you want "fun", visit the Carnival board...Of course, "dress code" isn't the issue there...Carnival has "formal night" but most seem to agree on what it means: Doubleknit Polyester Leisure Suits hanging in one's closet since the 70s, the "nice" NASCAR T-shirt without the cigarette burn holes...and the ever-popular stretch pants for 250 pound women...(Yeah, I will admit to it, I've even cruised Carnival, though no more for me)...

Do remember, though, everyone has different desires, criteria and standards...some people like formal nights...some people apparently even like overcrowded ships decorated in the style of a Tijuana bordello...and there are cruise lines for everybody...Oceania is NOT for everybody...and that's a good thing...

Bruin Steve, you are so funny! I just laughed and laughed at your description of some of the other lines. We are looking forward to our cruise this summer, on the "big ship" Insignia. We are used to Windstar's 150 passenger capacity and really like the small ships, so Oceania is a gamble for us. However, we did do an Alaska cruise on Holland America and hated it. Boat was too big for our taste.

Archived