Best Luggage?

gargoyle999

For you frequent travelers...what do you think is the best luggage?

For both durability and being light weight. In particular I'm referring to "full size" that would be checked.

I don't care about price. I want the best. Thanks!

Personally I have Tumi in ballistic nylon. That stuff is indestructible.

Other brands I looked at were Briggs & Riley, Hartmann, Rimowa and Mandarina Duck. Although a step down (IMO) Travelpro get good reviews but I found the designs too generic.

Good luck..with any luggage...Those handlers are professionals when it comes to durability tests...;)

I know. I'm mostly trying to find lightweight but durable would be a plus. I have a hard time staying under 50lbs when my suitcase is 13+ to begin with! :o

My favorite bags are duffels made from ballistic nylon. Since there are no wheels or axles and little structure, they weigh very little. As with most things in life there is a trade-off: You have to carry a duffel, not roll it. A good wide double strap works well.

I starting using these not because of low weight but because much of my travel is not cruise. Wheeling a bag across cobbles or dirt is much harder than carrying it. Similarly, my carry-on is a backpack.

This approach does not work for my wife .. she uses Tumi wheeled beasties.

My Travelpros have been all over the world and are practically bombproof. FYI, their original "Crew" series was designed for airline crews and it's one of the brands you will see them with the most. Travelpro has come out with several other budget and designer lines. The Crew series is a sturdy, well designed, and yes rather generic. Sort of like original Levis 501s.

Designer luggage can be a target for luggage thieves. Ho-hum looking luggage is a good feature in many parts of the world

When I was shopping for luggage quality and reputation had everything to do with my selection. When I really started comparing luggage I was surprised to see how few companies warranty their bags for life. I felt if they were not confident in their product for other then a few years why should I. I narrowed my looking to two companies that warrantied their products for life and they were Eagle Creek and Briggs and Riley.

I ended up with Eagle Creek Velocity bag. Unlike you the cost was a factor and I got a really good deal on an close out color. Eagle Creek luggage has two lifetime warranties. One is lifetime on workmanship and the other is a no matter what policy, including damage caused by the airline. The Velocity bag I have has the no matter what policy.

While the Velocity line is no longer available the Tarmic line has the same warranty and is a great bag also especially if you use their pack it system of folders and cubes.

While Tumi is still very expensive compared to other brands they have changed their warranty. It now has only a 5 year warranty.

What ever luggage you buy look closely at the warranty to see if you have to send it back to the manufacture for repair. If you do make sure to save the box.

You can at times find some nice buys on Briggs and Riley and Eagle Creek at Sierra Trading Post. Sierra is something like T J Maxx on the Internet. They offer discounts on items that are close outs, liquidation, and so on. If you sign up for their newsletter you can also get additional discounts.

Shak

Tumi; among many other pieces, I have a rollarboard I've been hauling around for 17 years, and it's still going strong.

If anything happens to any of the pieces, and I've only had minor repairs done, I just take it in to the luggage department at Nordstrom, and they send it back to Tumi free. It's shipped back to my home, and I've never been charged anything for a repair.

All of my TravelPro luggage ended up given away as the wheels and zippers failed one after another.

Very little luggage can hold up to baggage handling systems. I see buying luggage as no better than renting as after a few trips, the bags are finished.

I used to use cheap luggage but they were only avaeraging 3 or 4 flights. For the past 30 years I've been using Samsonite. they are not the lightest but usually last around 10 years or so (and I travel frequently). The airlines do mange to scuff and dent them, but they don't manage to break the zips wheels or handles very easily.

My isster managed to damage one of my older samsonite duffle bags on wheels. She replaced it with a lightweight cheaper make (said it would be just as good). It wasn't. It did not have internal straps to stop things rolling around, had no pockets or other features and a hole got ripped in the side of it after just 1 flight. So I will stick to my more expensive but sturdy and well designed Samsonite for now on.

Tumi; among many other pieces, I have a rollarboard I've been hauling around for 17 years, and it's still going strong.

If anything happens to any of the pieces, and I've only had minor repairs done, I just take it in to the luggage department at Nordstrom, and they send it back to Tumi free. It's shipped back to my home, and I've never been charged anything for a repair.

I am not going to disagree Tumi makes a fine product but they did change their warrenty to 5 years on new purchases.

http://www.tumi.com/about/warranty-five-year/

Shak

I am not going to disagree Tumi makes a fine product but they did change their warrenty to 5 years on new purchases.

http://www.tumi.com/about/warranty-five-year/

Shak

There is nothing to disagree about. I am only relating my personal experience, and I am well aware of the change in their warranty. I have never had any problem having any piece repaired, at no charge, no matter how long ago I made the purchase. I never return it to the TUMI store here, as then I have to pay shipping to send it back, I take it back to the luggage department at Nordstrom, and they send it at no fee. YMMV.

I have used International Traveler for a few years. It is lightweight and holds up fairly well for travel. Many times the luggage is on sale at Stein Mart. Ebags.com is a good place to get stats and reviews on various types of luggage.

Hannah

I used to use cheap luggage but they were only avaeraging 3 or 4 flights. For the past 30 years I've been using Samsonite. they are not the lightest but usually last around 10 years or so (and I travel frequently). The airlines do mange to scuff and dent them, but they don't manage to break the zips wheels or handles very easily.

I worked at the airport for a long time and from my working experience (at checkin and also at the baggage claims department) hardshell cases were hardly damaged, but the softer ones were frequently. We therefore always travel with a hardshell Samsonite. Yes, the suitcase weighs a bit more, but we have never had excess luggage issues. You do get some scratches, but better on the outside than on the content ;). The only thing that was ever broken in 20 years was one of the locks, which the TSA in the USA did by force. :eek:

+1 for Briggs & Riley luggage. I agree with Shak that lifetime warranty is a stamp of a company’s confidence in their own products. I would feel much safer buying luggage from BR knowing all repairs are covered by them for life – even for damage caused by airlines. I would recommend you check out the lightweight luggage under their Transcend collection, which is geared towards the leisure traveler.

Archived