Visas for vietnam & cambodia

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE :confused::confused: I am a British passport holder { permanent resident with valid re entry visa } i have this am contacted our online booking agent re the visas i did contact them & also Princess months ago but was told the info would not be avalable till 75 days prior to departure ....the reply was ....

"I have spoken with Princess and visas will be issued onboard for those holding Australian or New Zealand passports .For those passengers travelling on anything other than Australian or New Zealand passports will need to arrange their own visas. The information on this can be found at www.visalink.com.au where you will be able to select your destination and passport held .

Alternatively you can contact the consulates of each country you will be visiting to check whether you will require a visa ..be sure to advise that you are travelling by sea and that the ship will be offering visas to Australian & NZ passport holders upon arrival and ask if you will fall under this same rule ....."

I have gone to visalink ..the fee for Vietnam visa was $141.50 !!!! :( i have not checked for Cambodia as the site locked up so i quit & got out of it !! I then rang the Visalink contact no ...@ $ 2.50 per minute ....only to be told perhaps ring the cruiseline to ?? ....that answer took over 5mins ..with waiting on hold :mad:

Well folks by this time i was bit confused ...i rang Princess direct to enquire ..the guy i spoke to had no idea ....he thought that perhaps they would issue but he had not had previous questions re British passport holders ...i read him the email from the booking agent ..he said he had no idea !!!!! he thinks perhaps i should just get my own visas ...i told him about the costs which i think are bit hefty as we will only be 8 hrs in each port ..his reply was " oh well i don't know ":confused: I asked if i could possibly speak to someone who might know as i was rather confused as to what i should do ie pay the huge amounts or take pot luck & hope the ship arranges things onboard :rolleyes: he said maybe i could do that ..he was pleasant enough but really i am no further informed !!!

If anyone can help / advise it would be appreciated ..

Princess customer service leaves a lot to be desired ...

This link may help for Cambodia...

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/cambodia/practical-information/visas

Visas

Most visitors to Cambodia require a one-month tourist visa (US$20), although some visitors enter on a one-month business visa (US$25). Most nationalities receive a one-month visa on arrival at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports, and at land borders. One passport-sized photo is required and you’ll be ‘fined’ US$1 if you don’t have one. It is also possible to arrange a visa through Cambodian embassies overseas or an online e-visa (US$25) through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://www.mfaic.gov.kh). Arranging a visa ahead of time can help prevent potential overcharging at some land crossings.

On our Diamond Princess cruise to both these countries, Princess arranged the Visas.We have NZ passports, but the majority of the ship were from North America and Britain, and I am sure it was the same for them.

We took a photocopy of our passsport page that contained all the info and a photo, as you do need this. It was collected at embarkation.

I am sure it is the same for Vietnam, but check out Lonely Planet, and you may find more.

Thanks for the info Kiwi ..i knew i could count on a reply and useful info on this site :) i am just really over Princess customer service !!! :(

I have been on the internet for ages ...have now downloaded applications for both areas ..Cambodia will cost $ 45 ..have to send my passport & info by registered mail with a self addressed envelope again registered that goes to the consulate in Canberra ...for Vietnam same thing and i had to ring the embassy in Canberra for the cost $ 75 { hopefully no mail delays as will have to send one then wait till i get my passport back before i can send the other } ..you can apply for vietnam visa on line its heaps cheaper but its for pickup at the airport on the day of arrival ...so that's not much good heh :( !!

I will hang off for a couple of days ... see what others say ..perhaps there is another Brit passport holder who has been on a previous cruise so would know .. such a lot of money for 8hrs at each place ..oh well no good complaining i guess ...beleive you need them whether you get off the ship or not . Thanks again for your reply ..much appreciated :)

Thanks for the info Kiwi ..i knew i could count on a reply and useful info on this site :) i am just really over Princess customer service !!! :(

I have been on the internet for ages ...have now downloaded applications for both areas ..Cambodia will cost $ 45 ..have to send my passport & info by registered mail with a self addressed envelope again registered that goes to the consulate in Canberra ...for Vietnam same thing and i had to ring the embassy in Canberra for the cost $ 75 { hopefully no mail delays as will have to send one then wait till i get my passport back before i can send the other } ..you can apply for vietnam visa on line its heaps cheaper but its for pickup at the airport on the day of arrival ...so that's not much good heh :( !!

I will hang off for a couple of days ... see what others say ..perhaps there is another Brit passport holder who has been on a previous cruise so would know .. such a lot of money for 8hrs at each place ..oh well no good complaining i guess ...beleive you need them whether you get off the ship or not . Thanks again for your reply ..much appreciated :)

As you need two visas, would it be safer and quicker to use the Visa Courier Service. They take the passport and application to Embassy No. 1, then pick up the completed visa and take passport etc. to Embassy No. 2 before sending it back to you. We have used it and it works well. Your TA would have the details and can organise it for you. If you didn't book through a TA, I am sure someone here can supply details of this service.

Hi Cookie,

Glad you are holding off for a while till you get more info.

Just as another suggestion,

go to the Ports of Call section on Cruise Critic,

the Asia section,

and post your question there.

That is read by folk from all over the world and I am sure you will get a good reply there.....probably from folk with British passports.

May help to state the ship and date you are sailing as well.

As you need two visas, would it be safer and quicker to use the Visa Courier Service. They take the passport and application to Embassy No. 1, then pick up the completed visa and take passport etc. to Embassy No. 2 before sending it back to you. We have used it and it works well. Your TA would have the details and can organise it for you. If you didn't book through a TA, I am sure someone here can supply details of this service.

Haven't heard of this ...we booked online ...hopefully someone on here can supply me with the details ..thanks heaps :)

i've been to vietnam four times and the easiest way is to buy VOA (visa on arrival) If you were flying in you would arrange your paperwork through a local agent they charge you between US$10 to US$15 and on your arrival at the airport, you would pay US$25 for a one month entry -

I will ask my agent in Hanoi what's the situation with cruise and back to you later tonight or most likely tomorrow morning.

Archived