Tips or Gratuities

anngie

However, since, in my experience, the majority of passengers on HAL ships are US citizens I was basing my observations on US tipping customs. I also used the fact that HAL is a company based in the US to determine the appropriatness of this choice.

If I were to comment on tipping practices on board a non-US based company, I would of course need to use the practices of that country/culture as a guide.

The point, if it wasn't clear enough, was this:- You suggested that cruisers would automatically know to transfer their US land-based tipping habits and practices to a HAL ship. Now HAL ships are all foreign (from a US point of view) as are all or virtually all of the staff whom one would be tipping. So when HAL then gives you ambiguous and confusing advice about tipping which is intended to sound different from normal US tipping practice, isn't it off-beam to criticise people who interpret this as a departure from US land-based tipping?

We looked at taking a cruise on HAL back in the early 1990s. At that time, our TA told us the "tipping not required" policy meant that we could consider the cost difference between HAL and other cruise lines and basically add the amount we'd give in tips on the other cruise lines to the price of their cruises to see if HAL's price was comparable. My mother and stepfather went on a couple of HAL cruises and did not tip since they interpreted the "tipping not required" policy to mean what it said.

The point, if it wasn't clear enough, was this:- You suggested that cruisers would automatically know to transfer their US land-based tipping habits and practices to a HAL ship. Now HAL ships are all foreign (from a US point of view) as are all or virtually all of the staff whom one would be tipping. So when HAL then gives you ambiguous and confusing advice about tipping which is intended to sound different from normal US tipping practice, isn't it off-beam to criticise people who interpret this as a departure from US land-based tipping?

It was not my intention to criticise anyone. I was merely attempting to attempt to offer an explaination of certain behavior patterns. My husband and do things the way we do simply because it feels right to us and it makes sense to us. It also feels good to us. I expect that others do the same.

I am sorry if you feel judged, I assure you there was no judgement intended. I am a student of human behavior, as such I am interested in understanding. I do not want to be judged and do not judge others.

Linda

Archived