First night attire

cs

DH and I are wondering if the first night attire is more relaxed than the rest of the evenings in the MDR. We plan on dressing comfortable to travel to the port and we're not sure if we'll be underdressed for dinner.

DH and I are wondering if the first night attire is more relaxed than the rest of the evenings in the MDR. We plan on dressing comfortable to travel to the port and we're not sure if we'll be underdressed for dinner.
Not quite clear on why what you're traveling to the port in has a bearing on what you're wearing to dinner. Most people change before dinner unless they're bags are delayed. Quite often into a bathing suit, then into whatever they're wearing to dinner.

Not quite clear on why what you're traveling to the port in has a bearing on what you're wearing to dinner. Most people change before dinner unless they're bags are delayed. Quite often into a bathing suit, then into whatever they're wearing to dinner.

I guess I was thinking in case the bags are delayed since we have early seating.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I guess I was thinking in case the bags are delayed since we have early seating.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Personally, I think wearing shorts to the dining room is kind of tacky, so I usually either wear pants to the ship or put a pair in my carry on.

Bags often don't get to rooms until close to or after the early seating for dinner. 1st night is casual so go "as is" and enjoy.

We actually eat in the Windjammer on the first night. We get a quick bite and then will go explore and have fun.

You won't be underdressed for dinner on the first night. That is the night that you will find diversity in attire. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Bags often don't get to rooms until close to or after the early seating for dinner. 1st night is casual so go "as is" and enjoy.

We actually eat in the Windjammer on the first night. We get a quick bite and then will go explore and have fun.

The first night they make allowances for people whose luggage has not arrived. That's not quite the same thing as it's a go as is night.

When we last went on the Independence, our luggage hadn't arrived by the time we went to dinner. Unfortunately, we had been by the flowrider and got my son had quite wet. I was desperately trying to dry him with a hair dryer before we went to dinner. In the end, he had to go the dinner damp! Not ideal but there was nothing we could do about it. Going again in July, so planning to carry a small case on board with us with a change of clothes for dinner!

Don't worry about the first night or any night after that.

RCI really doesn't enforce the dress code.

We've seen it all every night..even on "formal" night. We;ve seen shorts..wife beater shirts..t-shirts with questionable wording on them..ripped jeans..slippers..pajamas...robes..hats of various types, including one with the cup on top and the hose that the wearer can put in their mouth and drink from...you name it.

The MDR want their tips and certainly don't want to make anyone angry by denying them entrance to the MDR.

So wear whatever you like any night you like.

You will fit in.

We're not wearing shorts but I'll be wearing casual capris and dh will be wearing jeans and a plain GAP t-shirt.

Thanks for the well wishes! Only 2 days till cruise time! :)

New to CC, huh?

haha nope, not new here. the majority of people won't care. but some dress code dictators on cruisecritic certainly will care about what you wear.

wear shorts and flip flops if you want. who cares!

don't worry about it at all. wear whatever is comfortable. your luggage might not even make it in time for dinner. no one cares what you wear anyway

It appears you have not met the fashion police. Please be careful they are lurking and will pounce on a thread about MDR attire.

As I have previously stated MDR attire is a much bigger deal on these boards than it is on the ship.

haha nope, not new here. the majority of people won't care. but some dress code dictators on cruisecritic certainly will care about what you wear.

wear shorts and flip flops if you want. who cares!

I'm with you, fellow Georgian. Just poking some fun at the "dictators" that seem to crop up on these boards.;)

We're not wearing shorts but I'll be wearing casual capris and dh will be wearing jeans and a plain GAP t-shirt.

Thanks for the well wishes! Only 2 days till cruise time! :)

That will be perfectly fine on the first night. As I and others have stated, the first night tends to be more casual than normal.

Have a wonderful time :)

Don't worry about the first night or any night after that.

RCI really doesn't enforce the dress code.

We've seen it all every night..even on "formal" night. We;ve seen shorts..wife beater shirts..t-shirts with questionable wording on them..ripped jeans..slippers..pajamas...robes..hats of various types, including one with the cup on top and the hose that the wearer can put in their mouth and drink from...you name it.

The MDR want their tips and certainly don't want to make anyone angry by denying them entrance to the MDR.

So wear whatever you like any night you like.

You will fit in.

I have seen people turned away for all the above mentioned items above, except for the hat with straw. However, on the first night, especially for early seating, many people will not have their luggage, but if you do, proper attire should be worn, and the slippers should remain in the room:rolleyes:

New to CC, huh?

LOL!!!

CC notwithstanding (!!!) I figure I'm on vacation and I'll never see these people again after the cruise. I dress with what's comfortable for me. Once you're on the ship it's not an issue, even at CC meet & greet. Shocking!

It appears you have not met the fashion police. Please be careful they are lurking and will pounce on a thread about MDR attire.

As I have previously stated MDR attire is a much bigger deal on these boards than it is on the ship.

Point well taken. Folks should only worry about what they are wearing and not what others are wearing.

And "The Clothes Police" please take note: I have never worn flip flops, wife beater shirts, tee shirts, jeans with or without holes, bathing suits, robes, shorts in the evening, etc., etc.,) to the MDR!

Actually, it's the other way around. Less than 5%, onboard ship, defy RCI's dress code. Here, on CC, is where we find more people who claim RCI has no dress code. I wonder if, on any given cruise, that 5% is made up of CC posters?

I had to wear shorts to dinner on my first cruise because I didn't know to pack something in my carry-on in case my suitcases didn't arrive. The attire was more formal then so I got some VERY irritated looks. I was so embarrassed that I wouldn't go to dinner the next night.

Crusing attire has become much less formal since then. I see people wearing shorts all week to dinner, and that includes the formal nights. On casual nights, I sometimes wear carpris and a blouse. It's fairly routine now to see jeans and t-shirts at dinner.

Archived