Formal nights?

How can you say what will spoil the atmosphere for another? "The Clothes Police"? NOT! I for one, do not care what you wear. I understand the meaning of "formal", and when attending a "formal" event will be dressed formally. I only police myself.

Not directing this comment at you, but for those who complain that the quality of cruising has declined, what do you expect when the quality that the cruisers bring has declined.:rolleyes:

Quality of what that the cruisers bring??:confused:

We are going on a 13 nighter to Alaska. My wife and I are debating not bringing formal wear on this cruise. We are doing the My Time Dining, and have been on the ship before so we have the photos etc.

It will save a lot of room in the suitcases. I see quite a few people just dressed nice (shirt and tie) on formal nights

My DH has gone to wearing a turtle neck with his sport coat and dress slacks for formal night and he is not alone in this attire. It does make it a lot easier for packing.

Jan

Quality of what that the cruisers bring??:confused:

I have read many opinions on the quality of cruising declining from the way things "use to be." Especially from the very seasoned cruisers. Cruising use to be a vacation for the rich who expected quality. The cruiselines try to maintain one of the more popular staples of cruising, formal night, and people just trash it and show no respect for it. The decline of something has to begin somewhere. If no appreciation is shown for what they establish to be nice, they figure why should they strive to offer any more than the bare basics? If you give someone something nice, and they show no appreciation for it, it won't be long before you stop giving nice things to that person. Of course this is all just MHO :rolleyes:

Dress codes have changed in the workplace, and on cruiseships--Many places have casual days, or casual all times. CCL has no more formal nights, just "elegant" nights. There's a reason for it. Most people on vacation, especially in warm climates, don't want a tie around their necks and a coat to wear. Weddings and funerals.

That's why you see 90% of the people who "formal" up for dinner, get to the cabin and change into what is comfortable right after dinner.

You would be happy on Crystal or even Holland.

I just got back from our cruise yesterday and found that many people were very dresed up (tuxes/gowns and cocktail dresses/suits). There were also others dressed in nice ladies pantsuits and men in dress shirts and pants. I only saw one family on one formal night in the MDR that were dressed VERY casually. There were actually more people dressed up than I had anticipated from posting similar questions on here as I prepared for the cruise. Whatever you decide, take time to ENJOY! It goes WAY too fast! :)

DH wears a tux, me a long dress, and both DD's a dress:) For our family it's the highlight of our cruise! And, we love the pictures! It's already picked and will be in the suitcase soon!!

If getting dressed up was my cruise highlight I would have taken my last one. "To each his own", said the old man as he kissed the cow.

We are going on a 13 nighter to Alaska. My wife and I are debating not bringing formal wear on this cruise. We are doing the My Time Dining, and have been on the ship before so we have the photos etc.

It will save a lot of room in the suitcases. I see quite a few people just dressed nice (shirt and tie) on formal nights

Good for you.

I will not be taking a tie with me next month. I will wear a suit and open neck shirt on formal nights but that's as far as I am prepared to go. Last year in Caribbean I found it unbearably hot wearing a suit and a tie. It's also completely unneccessary as it is no longer 1920.

This is obviously a hot topic, but informative- so thanks to all for your input. We're sailing on the Mariner in a few weeks & I was starting to wonder if I need to go suit shopping. We're from Phoenix, and my job is casual dress (Dockers would be considered dressy at my engineering office), so I haven't had any need for a suit or jacket in years. It's been several years since my last cruise, and I had a suit then, but I'm pretty sure I won't fit into it now...

Anyway, I have very nice dress clothes- just no Jacket. So despite all of the heated debate on this and other threads, the general message I'm getting is that I shouldn't stress out about this. I would rather bring a few hundred extra dollars on the trip rather than buy a new suit or jacket that I'll rarely use after I get home.

Wear what you want. There will be hundreds of others on board that really don't see the need for the pomp and cremony of "formal" night.

How can you say what will spoil the atmosphere for another? "The Clothes Police"? NOT! I for one, do not care what you wear. I understand the meaning of "formal", and when attending a "formal" event will be dressed formally. I only police myself.

Not directing this comment at you, but for those who complain that the quality of cruising has declined, what do you expect when the quality that the cruisers bring has declined.:rolleyes:

So you'll be wearing a suit and tie then Karen ?

I have read many opinions on the quality of cruising declining from the way things "use to be." Especially from the very seasoned cruisers. Cruising use to be a vacation for the rich who expected quality. The cruiselines try to maintain one of the more popular staples of cruising, formal night, and people just trash it and show no respect for it. The decline of something has to begin somewhere. If no appreciation is shown for what they establish to be nice, they figure why should they strive to offer any more than the bare basics? If you give someone something nice, and they show no appreciation for it, it won't be long before you stop giving nice things to that person. Of course this is all just MHO :rolleyes:

What do you think of Belly Flop Competitions around the pool ?

If getting dressed up was my cruise highlight I would have taken my last one. "To each his own", said the old man as he kissed the cow.

For a 9 and 7 year old, it is a ‘highlight’ to dress up and be a princess for the night! We might even shake hands with the Captain! Some of us do like conducting ourselves properly!

So you'll be wearing a suit and tie then Karen ?

No, If we plan to participate on formal night I will (and always have) worn a dress. Women don't wear suits and ties. However, men do and yes, my DH would be in suit and tie.

I think some of you are painting with a broad brush here. Grandiva made it very clear that she like to dress up, appreciates the look and feel of a formal dinner, and is apparently NOT a snob, and NOT the fashion police. Neither am I.

So, instead of assuming the worst, why not just read the words?

Also, instead of promoting AGAINST what the cruise line is requesting, and being misleading to those who are wondering what it's like on certain cruises in certain places, why not just relate what you've experienced instead of trying to influence people to do something the cruise line has asked them not to do? RCCL has been very accomodating to those cruisers who wish to not dress formally: they have provided many other eating venues that are more casual on formal nights. The Windjammer is a lovely place to eat in the evenings, and on the Majesty, Indy, Rhapsody, and Mariner the whole dinner experience is lovely.

So, in my experience (53 nights on board a ship since 2/2009) people DO still dress up for formal night. Some don't, but the majority do.

Each person should make up their own mind. But, to insult people (even veiling it with the "I'm just kidding; can't you take a joke", it's rude) is just not necessary.

Exactly what is your point? Have read my posts? And do you understand what you are reading?

I mean do you find them terribly working class and do they have a place on an ever so posh cruise ship because of course cruising is only for the upper classes.

No, If we plan to participate on formal night I will (and always have) worn a dress. Women don't wear suits and ties. However, men do and yes, my DH would be in suit and tie.

Wearing a suit and tie in the caribbean is very uncomfortbale and really uneccessary though.

Wearing a suit and tie in the caribbean is very uncomfortbale and really uneccessary though.

Why are you deliberately baiting this other poster?

And, your information is incorrect: suits and ties are in abundance in the Caribbean. Both my sons and husband wore them for two formal nights in the Caribbean last December. I saw no men sweating and uncomfortable in the dining room on either evening.

It's your personal choice, not necessarily the way others think.

I mean do you find them terribly working class and do they have a place on an ever so posh cruise ship because of course cruising is only for the upper classes.

WHERE did I say that???? You clearly do not comprehend written english. Although you should, after all, you loaned it to us:cool:

You are not wearing a suit and tie in the caribbean, but onboard of of fully airconditioned ship. It is not 90+ degrees in the MDR. I did not suggest you wear your dress clothes while off the ship in a caribbean port.

And, your information is incorrect: suits and ties are in abundance in the Caribbean. Both my sons and husband wore them for two formal nights in the Caribbean last December. I saw no men sweating and uncomfortable in the dining room on either evening.

It's your personal choice, not necessarily the way others think.

Oh please don't take life so seriously.

Chillax !

Try buying clothes that fit properly. As for unnecessary, that's a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours.

What do you think of Belly Flop Competitions around the pool ?

We've been cruising since 1977 and the belly flop and horse racing have always been a part of "our cruise tradition", along with dressing for formal nights. For you to ask...

...just enforces your total lack of understanding that people can have opinions that don't coincide with your narrow minded, spiteful view of life.

If the cruise lines stopped having formal nights, we would probably slow down on cruising. It's one of the main reasons we cruise. As the French say.."One man's fish is another man's poisson."

Try buying clothes that fit properly. As for unnecessary, that's a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours.

...just enforces your total lack of understanding that people can have opinions that don't coincide with your narrow minded, spiteful view of life.

Hmmmmmm

Think I might report that as abuse.

Totally uncalled for IMHO

Both my sons and husband wore them for two formal nights in the Caribbean last December.

Now how could we have guessed!!

I saw no men sweating and uncomfortable in the dining room on either evening.

You may not have "seen" them being uncomfortable, but they were. That's why most of them hit their cabins after dinner and change into what IS comfortable.

Like it or not, the cruise lines are becoming more casual and comfortable. It's a sign of the times. eg--CCL's elegant nights.

Both my sons and husband wore them for two formal nights in the Caribbean last December.

Now how could we have guessed!!

I saw no men sweating and uncomfortable in the dining room on either evening.

You may not have "seen" them being uncomfortable, but they were. That's why most of them hit their cabins after dinner and change into what IS comfortable.

Like it or not, the cruise lines are becoming more casual and comfortable. It's a sign of the times. eg--CCL's elegant nights.

Quite

Times have changed, fashions have changed and the cruise lines realise this. Thank god.

Archived