Formal nights?

We are going on a 13 nighter to Alaska. My wife and I are debating not bringing formal wear on this cruise. We are doing the My Time Dining, and have been on the ship before so we have the photos etc.

It will save a lot of room in the suitcases. I see quite a few people just dressed nice (shirt and tie) on formal nights

While a lot of people here will to tell you to follow the suggested attire guidelines, the truth is you will not be denied entrance to the dining room if you are dressed nice. You will not even need a tie. Wear nice pants and shirt and you will be fine. You will not be the only one dressed this way.

...and I'm sure even more folks w/ shirt, tie and jacket or suit w/ different ties and shirts and the ladies, cocktail/long dresses or wide 'floppy' pants and cocktail type dressy tops! Whether its Alaska, Eurpope, the Caribbean or wherever, Formal Night still means Formal Night (not necessary to drag the tux, however) on most all ships with the exception NCL Lines. With that said, on NCL if you wish to look a little formal, that's OK, but on our recent 14 nighter, NO ONE wore gowns or even the dressy, floppy pants w/ dress tops (I did) and some men wore jackets and ties, including my DH!

Your decision!

Safe sails!!

I take very light weight chiffon skirts and tops, so for a 7 night cruise I have one skirt and two tops. They proabably weigh less than a lb total. DH takes a jacket and tie, and the pants he wears on formal nights double on other nights with more casual shirts.

There is really no reason to take fancy clothes if you don't want to, because all RCCL ships offer other eating choices for passengers who don't wish to dress up. I am one, however, who prefers the tieless, jacketless men and slacks and casual top women go somewhere besides the dining room to eat dinner on formal nights. It helps keep the feel of the formal dining experience nice for those of us who do choose to dress up.

I am one, however, who prefers the tieless, jacketless men and slacks and casual top women go somewhere besides the dining room to eat dinner on formal nights. It helps keep the feel of the formal dining experience nice for those of us who do choose to dress up.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but why should people go elsewhere simply because their dress does not meet your standards and do not "keep the feel of the formal dining expereince nice" as you put it? I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but that is my choice and I am not bothered in the least by what others choose to wear.

I take very light weight chiffon skirts and tops, so for a 7 night cruise I have one skirt and two tops. They proabably weigh less than a lb total. DH takes a jacket and tie, and the pants he wears on formal nights double on other nights with more casual shirts.

There is really no reason to take fancy clothes if you don't want to, because all RCCL ships offer other eating choices for passengers who don't wish to dress up. I am one, however, who prefers the tieless, jacketless men and slacks and casual top women go somewhere besides the dining room to eat dinner on formal nights. It helps keep the feel of the formal dining experience nice for those of us who do choose to dress up.

We have always dressed for formal nights on past cruises. I understand what you mean. We are My Time Dining at a small table. So we shouldn't be affecting others. We might go to Chops or Portofinos on those nights. We may even try the Windjammer (we have never done dinner there).

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but why should people go elsewhere simply because their dress does not meet your standards and do not "keep the feel of the formal dining expereince nice" as you put it? I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but that is my choice and I am not bothered in the least by what others choose to wear.

I did not try to impose my so-called "standards" on anyone. I was merely (and very nicely, I believe) stating my opinion. So, no need for any fireworks here. Oh, I'm not bothered by what others choose to wear, either. I was just saying the atmosphere is very nice when those who choose to come to dinner in the main dining room on formal nights do follow the suggested dress for the evening.

We have always dressed for formal nights on past cruises. I understand what you mean. We are My Time Dining at a small table. So we shouldn't be affecting others. We might go to Chops or Portofinos on those nights. We may even try the Windjammer (we have never done dinner there).

You will be just fine..we are of the same thinking and have done exactly as you (except for the MTD) on our last cruise I was surprised at how long the line and the wait was for MTD ( keep that in mind )...But we have eaten dinner in the WJ many times and have enjoyed it...It's your vacation and you don't owe an explanation to anyone about what you decide to do or not to do...Enjoy "your" cruise!!

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but why should people go elsewhere simply because their dress does not meet your standards

Where exactly did she say it didn't meet her standards. She just expressed an opinion about it affecting the formal atmosphere in the MDR, an opinion many people share.

Where exactly did she say it didn't meet her standards. She just expressed an opinion about it affecting the formal atmosphere in the MDR, an opinion many people share.

Thank you, Mr. Bond: you stated it better than me!!:D

I did not try to impose my so-called "standards" on anyone. I was merely (and very nicely, I believe) stating my opinion. So, no need for any fireworks here. Oh, I'm not bothered by what others choose to wear, either. I was just saying the atmosphere is very nice when those who choose to come to dinner in the main dining room on formal nights do follow the suggested dress for the evening.

I'm the original poster. And I was not offended. I asked for opinions, and people thoughts.

We have decided to leave the formal wear home. If we were sitting at a regular seated main dining room table, it would be different. But with MTD

I doubt we will be offending anyone, but the photographers.

Yeah, like me. The evening is degsinated as "formal" and should be as such. It always was until people came along with the how dare you tell me what to wear and wear what you want attitude. Completely disregarding the "suggested" attaire the cruise line gives. It is suggested for a reason. The suggestion is not to give you an "option" to not do it, but is "something to think over, act on, bringing to mind for consideration." The suggestions are because many people do not know exactly what"formal" is and have no idea what to wear, so the cruise line suggest........

I'm the original poster. And I was not offended. I asked for opinions, and people thoughts.

We have decided to leave the formal wear home. If we were sitting at a regular seated main dining room table, it would be different. But with MTD

I doubt we will be offending anyone, but the photographers.

Trust me..........the photographers would come in your cabin and photograph you in your jammies and bedhair if they thought you'd buy the picture!! :D

Yeah, like me. The evening is degsinated as "formal" and should be as such. It always was until people came along with the how dare you tell me what to wear and wear what you want attitude. Completely disregarding the "suggested" attaire the cruise line gives. It is suggested for a reason. The suggestion is not to give you an "option" to not do it, but is "something to think over, act on, bringing to mind for consideration." The suggestions are because many people do not know exactly what"formal" is and have no idea what to wear, so the cruise line suggest........

I believe the cruise lines push "formal" nights. So they can sell photos. I've carted my tux around on everyother cruise and we've been on and we have been on a few. We have pictures in just about every setting.

This cruise is 13 nights, plus we are going to spend 4 days ion LA before it and 2 days in Seattle after it. So we are going to need a lot of clothes. The formal stuff is staying home.

We've cruised Alaska recently on two different lines (not RCCL) and found formal nights in Alaska to be more casual than on any of our other cruises. People still dress up and look nice, but there were many more men wearing open collar shirts with a sport jacket than suits or tuxes. This topic is popular on the Alaska board, due to the baggage fees that airlines are now charging. Plus, a good number of Alaskan cruisers also go on land tours, for which there is no need of formal wear.

Pants, long sleeved shirt and a sport coat sans tie--you will be fine. Don't have to have the sport coat and certainly don't need the tie.;)

Agreed. And I don't believe that you will be spoiling the atmosphere of formal night, despite what "The Clothes Police" will say!;)

This is obviously a hot topic, but informative- so thanks to all for your input. We're sailing on the Mariner in a few weeks & I was starting to wonder if I need to go suit shopping. We're from Phoenix, and my job is casual dress (Dockers would be considered dressy at my engineering office), so I haven't had any need for a suit or jacket in years. It's been several years since my last cruise, and I had a suit then, but I'm pretty sure I won't fit into it now...

Anyway, I have very nice dress clothes- just no Jacket. So despite all of the heated debate on this and other threads, the general message I'm getting is that I shouldn't stress out about this. I would rather bring a few hundred extra dollars on the trip rather than buy a new suit or jacket that I'll rarely use after I get home.

This is obviously a hot topic, but informative- so thanks to all for your input. We're sailing on the Mariner in a few weeks & I was starting to wonder if I need to go suit shopping. We're from Phoenix, and my job is casual dress (Dockers would be considered dressy at my engineering office), so I haven't had any need for a suit or jacket in years. It's been several years since my last cruise, and I had a suit then, but I'm pretty sure I won't fit into it now...

Anyway, I have very nice dress clothes- just no Jacket. So despite all of the heated debate on this and other threads, the general message I'm getting is that I shouldn't stress out about this. I would rather bring a few hundred extra dollars on the trip rather than buy a new suit or jacket that I'll rarely use after I get home.

You've got it figured out. Which Mariner cruise?--We're on the Apr. 25th.

We're sailing the following week, May 2. Enjoy!

I should add that I'm not entirely off the hook for formal night. I've been informed that my wife would like a new dress to wear on the cruise :eek:. I suspect that none of these arguments about formal night will have any bearing on whether she gets the dress... I suppose its a better investment than a suit, though. She's happy, I still don't have to wear a jacket, and having a hot date will still make me look better by association.

Agreed. And I don't believe that you will be spoiling the atmosphere of formal night, despite what "The Clothes Police" will say!;)

How can you say what will spoil the atmosphere for another? "The Clothes Police"? NOT! I for one, do not care what you wear. I understand the meaning of "formal", and when attending a "formal" event will be dressed formally. I only police myself.

Not directing this comment at you, but for those who complain that the quality of cruising has declined, what do you expect when the quality that the cruisers bring has declined.:rolleyes:

Archived