Ship water sodium

One thing for sure which I find scary......a random internet message board poster writes a post and suddenly you have people saying thanks for the facts...really? An internet message board poster who states they are a doctor, a scientist, a this, a that and suddenly it is the gospel? Heck, anyone can google any subject and then post a seemingly intelligent response to any post..... According to a Holiday Inn commercial you can sleep there overnight and be a subject matter expert on anything the next day.

Back on topic.....Fact- Certified equipment works fine and does its job when properly maintained. I ask you, is it 100% always properly maintained and not subject to failure at any point in time? Is anyone repeatedly seeing CDC 100% satisfactory inspection results posted from ships? I will answer for you...and it is a no. Or please google Cruise CDC Inspections and get the answer for yourself.

Personally, I find one must either be extremely naïve or have a hidden agenda to rule out onboard water (in this case) as a possible cause or attribute to adverse reactions such as weight gain, swelling, HBP etc.......

Obviously I cruise a lot and enjoy it tremendously. There is no better vacation in my book. Over the years, I have learned what works for me, I avoid certain foods and drink bottled water. I encourage folks to find out what works best for them and adhere to the routine in order to make their cruise experience fun and fulfilling.

CDC inspects cruises? I was not aware of that.

No one is ruling out onboard water as a possible source of water retention, but to attribute ALL types of fluid retention/swelling to onboard water is fool hardy.

One thing for sure which I find scary......a random internet message board poster writes a post and suddenly you have people saying thanks for the facts...really? An internet message board poster who states they are a doctor, a scientist, a this, a that and suddenly it is the gospel? Heck, anyone can google any subject and then post a seemingly intelligent response to any post..... According to a Holiday Inn commercial you can sleep there overnight and be a subject matter expert on anything the next day.

Back on topic.....Fact- Certified equipment works fine and does its job when properly maintained. I ask you, is it 100% always properly maintained and not subject to failure at any point in time? Is anyone repeatedly seeing CDC 100% satisfactory inspection results posted from ships? I will answer for you...and it is a no. Or please google Cruise CDC Inspections and get the answer for yourself.

Personally, I find one must either be extremely naïve or have a hidden agenda to rule out onboard water (in this case) as a possible cause or attribute to adverse reactions such as weight gain, swelling, HBP etc.......

Obviously I cruise a lot and enjoy it tremendously. There is no better vacation in my book. Over the years, I have learned what works for me, I avoid certain foods and drink bottled water. I encourage folks to find out what works best for them and adhere to the routine in order to make their cruise experience fun and fulfilling.

Sure, I suppose I could have registered back in 2001 as DrD, then done hours of research on electrolyte abnormalities, and stated specific facts on sodium content that can also be easily confirmed on google, all in order to fool people on how much sodium is in ship's water. It's possible.

Or I could really be a nephrologist. There are doctors that cruise you know, and it seems likely that some would be on this board, in fact it'd be astonishing if there wasn't.

so it's up to you to decide which scenario is more likely.

Just google "how much sodium does it take for water to taste salty." Then google sodium content of foods. If you can do basic arithmetic you can compare and see that my main point is legit. That is, if water does not taste frankly salty, the sodium content is trivial compared to what is in restaurant food.

But whatever, this is the era of "alternative facts," so believe what you want. It's quite the living for me.

Edited by DrD

So you reject the notion that even if the water doesn't have sodium, it could cause swelling/water retention in some people because of the chlorine and/or extreme softness of the water as chief suggested?

Yes, unless you have a deficit of renal water excretion. The healthy kidney can clear 10-20 liters (2.5-5 gallons) of water a day.

There are some people that will drink more than that, we call it "psychogenic polydispia" and they can get edema from water alone. for people with significant chronic kidney disease the amount of water you can clear will also be less, but those folks usually know they are on a water restriction. some dialysis patients can only drink 20 ounces of liquids per day, if they exceed they will get edema.

Awesome post. As you can see, I am an avid cruiser. I STILL am trying to find out what works best for me. I swell like CRAZY on cruises after day 2.. I am always uncomfortable. the weight I gain is unimaginable. 25-30lbs on a week cruise... I have narrowed it down to just eating non processed foods and nothing canned. nothing cooked really... just salads. I still was bloating and ankles swelling up like crazy. I am a fitness freak. the pain on the treadmill on my ankles would be unbearable. I personally think it is a combo of salt in food, chlorine in ship tap water and other hidden factors. On my next cruise I will be drinking just bottled water and eating clean... salad -fresh fruit-yogurt etc. I wish I could get to the point where I do not bloat and swell. cruising is my only way of vacation and it just stinks b/c of how I am.

Ask your doctor about this, it's not normal. hopefully you've had a urinanalysis in the last year or so.

The attribution here to water that does not taste even slightly salty is astonishing. As is the same suggestion for pure water in a diet also containing food. I have read that education standards in the US are very poor and so perhaps this is a factor. In the absence of a basic education all sort of thing become believable.

The lunch I had on Explorer today had an amazing amount of salt. The chicken curry I had at lunch a couple of days ago tasted primarily of salt. The vast majority of the salt I'm consuming on this ship is coming from the food and the quantity is considerably more than I normally consume; at home at this level of salt I'd throw the dish away and start cooking again.

The attribution here to water that does not taste even slightly salty is astonishing. As is the same suggestion for pure water in a diet also containing food. I have read that education standards in the US are very poor and so perhaps this is a factor. In the absence of a basic education all sort of thing become believable.

The lunch I had on Explorer today had an amazing amount of salt. The chicken curry I had at lunch a couple of days ago tasted primarily of salt. The vast majority of the salt I'm consuming on this ship is coming from the food and the quantity is considerably more than I normally consume; at home at this level of salt I'd throw the dish away and start cooking again.

I've read on here of people requesting low sodium meals - I assume for medical reasons but if the taste is unpleasantly salty that might be an option for you also

I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure and have talked to my cardiologist about this very topic, for both about cruising and the fact I have a water filtrations system that uses salt. My cardiologist said the amount of salt in the water would not affect me unless I drink gallons of it a day. Typically these days it is suggested that people have less thank 2000 mg of sodium a day. To compare, 1 Big Mac is 970 mg of sodium. Bread can run about 200 mg per slice. Bacon will be about 300 mg a slice. Just think about what foods you eat in a day on a ship and it should be easy to find the reason for retaining water. Oh, and that late night pizza...you really don't want to know.My advise if you have issues with retaining water, just watch what you eat and when you do eat, leave the salt shaker alone. Google food products, cheeses, condiments and such, you will be amazed at the sodium levels. Remember 2000 mg.

CDC inspects cruises? I was not aware of that.

No one is ruling out onboard water as a possible source of water retention, but to attribute ALL types of fluid retention/swelling to onboard water is fool hardy.

Not to take this thread sideways, but yes, through its sub-agency, the USPH, the CDC is responsible for inspecting the sanitation onboard foreign flag cruise ships. The USPH is mandated with preventing the importation of infectious diseases into the US, and as such they board and inspect all vessels arriving in the US from foreign ports. To keep from inspecting cruise ships every week, including passenger interviews, the USPH has implemented the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) in cooperation with the cruise industry, such that any ship that follows both the construction guidelines and the operational guidelines in the plan will only be inspected on a random basis, typically twice a year. If you are interested, google the "USPH VSP" and then look for the "operations manual" to see how wide ranging the sanitation requirements are, reaching into almost every aspect of cruise ship operation.

You have read wrong

Not to take this thread sideways, but yes, through its sub-agency, the USPH, the CDC is responsible for inspecting the sanitation onboard foreign flag cruise ships. The USPH is mandated with preventing the importation of infectious diseases into the US, and as such they board and inspect all vessels arriving in the US from foreign ports. To keep from inspecting cruise ships every week, including passenger interviews, the USPH has implemented the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) in cooperation with the cruise industry, such that any ship that follows both the construction guidelines and the operational guidelines in the plan will only be inspected on a random basis, typically twice a year. If you are interested, google the "USPH VSP" and then look for the "operations manual" to see how wide ranging the sanitation requirements are, reaching into almost every aspect of cruise ship operation.

Thank you.