Crown Princess-Specialty restaurants.

lbbythesea

Crown Grill is one of the best specialty restaurants at sea in my opinion, assuming you're a steak lover (although they do have other options). It is well worth the cover charge. The ambience is a little off-putting, I have to say. The decor has scenes of King Arthur and knights -- I never really understood why. It's a little cheesy (please, other posters, don't flame me if you disagree). But the food, wine, and service were all top-notch. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sabatini's on the Crown is in a lovely location and also well worth the cover charge. Be sure to stop first at the Adagio Lounge nearby before dinner. It is often undiscovered until late in the cruise. Just be aware at Sabatini's that the waiters will try to get you to eat until you explode. Do NOT be afraid to say No when they bring you course after course of options. By the way, at Sabatini's you choose the entree. Everything else comes on large platters and the waiters will pile your plate high unless you say no. We learned this the hard way. :) And don't be afraid to disappoint them when they say how upset Grandma in the kitchen will be if you don't try all of her cooking.

We went to Sabatini's 3 times and Crown Grill twice on our 9-day cruise on the Crown.

ENJOY!

Agree, they are both worth it and I am going multiple times on my next cruise as well. Of course, I am not a huge fan of the mass produced function food prepared in Princess MDRs.

Aruba, I am not going to flame you on your post above. But I won't agree with you either. It looks like a typical nice steakhouse and a bit dark.

We will be on the Crown late july and look forward to The Crown Grill most of all as we had a great meal there 2 years ago. Sabatinis the loccation is wonderful but the style of food ( the many trays of set things) I would have preffered a menue with set choices and not just the entree. It is very good just not as preffered as the Crown Grill. If you have never been then go to both.

:cool:We are also on the April 24 cruise and we will be in the Crown Grill the last night (Friday). The food is outstanding and you can bring your own bottle of wine. This is the perfect way to end a wonderful vacation. Cant wait ;)

Aruba, I am not going to flame you on your post above. But I won't agree with you either. It looks like a typical nice steakhouse and a bit dark.

It's been a while since I was on the Crown -- 3 years come to think of it, I didn't realize it had been so long ago. I've got to return one of these days. Maybe it doesn't have the King Arthur-decor that I remember. It wasn't a big deal, just something I hadn't been expecting...which is probably what made it memorable.

Although they are nice I didn't find the food in the regular restaurants to be that bad. It's all whether you feel the extra cost is worth it.

We prefer traditional Fixed Dining but we had booked the Crown somewhat late so all that was available was Anytime Dining. The reason we went to Crown Grill and Sabatini's 5 nights out of the 9 was because we really were not enjoying meals in the main dining room. The waiters seemed overworked and frantic. One table was on dessert while the next was on salad while newcomers are being seated -- all within the same waiter's station. I know other people like it, but it just wasn't our thing. We preferred the atmosphere, food, and service in Crown Grill and Sabatini's on that cruise, and thought it was -- at least for us -- worth the cover charges.

... One table was on dessert while the next was on salad while newcomers are being seated -- all within the same waiter's station.

Not flaming, just stating a different opinion ;) But what you describe above - isn't that how a "normal" restaurant works? We had AD on the Ruby and were fine with it, but on the other hand we have never tried TD, so are not aware of what the differences are... ;)

Not flaming, just stating a different opinion ;) But what you describe above - isn't that how a "normal" restaurant works? We had AD on the Ruby and were fine with it, but on the other hand we have never tried TD, so are not aware of what the differences are... ;)

In TD you get stuck at a table with people you really don't want to be with. ;)

In TD you get stuck at a table with people you really don't want to be with. ;)

LOL :D Yes, that would be a concern, we were happy to share tables using AD but you do know that if you are seated with someone you don't like one night (it only happened to us once), you don't have to sit with them again! Also, I personally prefer the flexibility of AD and don't want to be dictated to by the clock that it is time to eat - I prefer to eat when I am hungry - weird, eh? :D

LOL :D Yes, that would be a concern, we were happy to share tables using AD but you do know that if you are seated with someone you don't like one night (it only happened to us once), you don't have to sit with them again! Also, I personally prefer the flexibility of AD and don't want to be dictated to by the clock that it is time to eat - I prefer to eat when I am hungry - weird, eh? :D

Completely understandable. And that's why Princess has two diningrooms set aside for personal choice, since the majority of passengers want exactly that; choice.

We prefer traditional Fixed Dining but we had booked the Crown somewhat late so all that was available was Anytime Dining. The reason we went to Crown Grill and Sabatini's 5 nights out of the 9 was because we really were not enjoying meals in the main dining room. The waiters seemed overworked and frantic. One table was on dessert while the next was on salad while newcomers are being seated -- all within the same waiter's station. I know other people like it, but it just wasn't our thing. We preferred the atmosphere, food, and service in Crown Grill and Sabatini's on that cruise, and thought it was -- at least for us -- worth the cover charges.

Another reason we don't enjoy Sabatini's or Crown Grill is that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to complete dinner. That's much to long for us. Even my wife who is an extremely slow eater was getting bored & we just wanted our dessert so we could get to the show on time....which we didn't.

I see 2 posters on this board who are on the 4/24 cruise but I haven't seen you on the Crown board for 4/24. Take a look...join us for the get-together on sailing day or the other activities planned.

Nancy

We just got back from the Crown yesterday, both the crown grill and sabatini's are worth the extra charge. We went to sabatini's on Easter sunday and the crown on thursday{the 2 formal nights]. and enjoyed the food and service very much.

SO I am reading very great reviews for Crown Grill but no cover charge given.

So someone be terrific and list the specialty restaurants by name, deck # and cover charge please. Many will thank you. And if you want to add a rating it will be a saver for many.

SO I am reading very great reviews for Crown Grill but no cover charge given.

So someone be terrific and list the specialty restaurants by name, deck # and cover charge please. Many will thank you. And if you want to add a rating it will be a saver for many.

Restaurants are not always on the same deck on each ship. Cover is $25 for Crown Grill; $20 for Sabatini's.

Thank you for the prices of 2 restaurants. I was on the Princess site and they have no prices of specialty restaurants. So I thought I would ask folks who just got off Crown what restaurants & how much they are on the ship. Guess you didn't do the Grill and the New Orleans place. Anyone else?

Restaurants are not always on the same deck on each ship. Cover is $25 for Crown Grill; $20 for Sabatini's.

Guess you didn't do the Grill and the New Orleans place. Anyone else?

No idea what you are talking about.. No "Grill" and the New Orleans Place specialty restaurant on the Crown. Only two.. "The Crown Grill" $25 pp and "Sabatini's" $20 pp. :confused:

Thank you for the prices of 2 restaurants. I was on the Princess site and they have no prices of specialty restaurants. So I thought I would ask folks who just got off Crown what restaurants & how much they are on the ship. Guess you didn't do the Grill and the New Orleans place. Anyone else?

The Crown IS the Grill and the New Orleans place is only on the Island and the Coral. It's called Bayou Cafe.

We like the Crown Grill. It is a smaller setting than the huge MDRs.

Actually we found the food good everywhere but really enjoy

the Crown experience.

BTW, you can order whatever you want there

in any order.

I always order 2 Filets since I like steak.

If you enjoy an appetizer...order 2, no problem.

The $25 is a cover charge, order what you like.

Skip salad if you want...order 3 deserts.

There is extra charge for lobster....but not shrimp dishes.

Great service too.

Now I'm hungry again.

:cool::cool:

We like the Crown Grill. It is a smaller setting than the huge MDRs.

Actually we found the food good everywhere but really enjoy

the Crown experience.

BTW, you can order whatever you want there

in any order.

I always order 2 Filets since I like steak.

If you enjoy an appetizer...order 2, no problem.

The $25 is a cover charge, order what you like.

Skip salad if you want...order 3 deserts.

There is extra charge for lobster....but not shrimp dishes.

Great service too.

Now I'm hungry again.

:cool::cool:

There is no extra charge for the 4 little lobster tails.

Archived