Left Luggage in Whittier???

Kaylas Mom

Does anyone know if there is a way to leave luggage somewhere during the day in Whittier while we do some local excursions? Either with Princess or maybe even at the docks or with Thrifty? Since we are renting an expensive mini-van, it seems silly to me to pay an extra day car rental just to have a place to leave luggage.

Thanks!

Interesting question. It's the same question people ask about Tahiti and other ports. As I understand it, there are no rental lockers where you can leave luggage due to security issues. I'll be interested in the answer also --

We found the people in Alaska to be a lot more casual about these things than in the rest of the US. We were in Seward a few years ago and needed a place to store our luggage during a long layover between the cruise and the train. (Train station wasn't open yet). We asked a shop owner if he knew of a place to store the luggage and he just took all our bags and put them in his back room.

Minerva, I hope that was pre 9/11. We did the same thing in St. Thomas in the late 90's. Left the luggage with our van driver while we shopped, walked around and had lunch. Stupid. stupid, stupid.

I just wish we had a little more to go on than what the OP asked. I am having a hard time with why she needs a place to store luggage if she is renting a vehicle. Maybe it is just me .:eek:

It's post cruise. We are getting into Whittier first thing but will just hang out there all day. Seems dumb (and expensive) to rent a car at $139 a day to have it sit.

Absolutely right. I have found the folks in Seward super helpful and casual in the past, but we haven't been to Whittier, so I would really like to have something I can be sure of.

It's post cruise. We are getting into Whittier first thing but will just hang out there all day. Seems dumb (and expensive) to rent a car at $139 a day to have it sit.

Absolutely right. I have found the folks in Seward super helpful and casual in the past, but we haven't been to Whittier, so I would really like to have something I can be sure of.

"Hang out" in Whittier??? Have you been there before? Frankly- this isn't a hang out place. You mentioned that you have a tour planned, I still say- that may be a doable option, storing your bags at their office even if early. Or consider staying on the ship until last one off? A walk up one side of the street and down the other- will be about the extent of your hanging out. :)

Ok, now that the luggage storage question has been answered, who can offer some info on rental cars out of Whittier?

My husband and I are on the 5/28 Coral NB, so on 6/4 we will need to head back SB on land somehow. We are flying out of Seattle. We are thinking that we have a week to head south and sightsee either via rental car, tour bus or rail. I thought I would take this opportunity to gather some info from Budget Queen and others that know more than I do about Alaska. Any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Thanks -- yes I know Whittier. We're going to stay in town, for better or worse, for several hours between arrival and our boat trip because we don't feel like spending the time driving back and forth through the tunnel.

My family can have fun anywhere -- give us a table and some coffee and a deck of cards and we are happy campers.

But the luggage questions ISN'T solved and I am still hoping someone knows the answer.

(By the way, book Asap with Avis, but be prepared to pay the $125 drop-off fee.)

Ok, now that the luggage storage question has been answered, who can offer some info on rental cars out of Whittier?

My husband and I are on the 5/28 Coral NB, so on 6/4 we will need to head back SB on land somehow. We are flying out of Seattle. We are thinking that we have a week to head south and sightsee either via rental car, tour bus or rail. I thought I would take this opportunity to gather some info from Budget Queen and others that know more than I do about Alaska. Any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Are you aware you are looking at in the range of 2300 miles??? The only rental car in Whittier is Avis. But I would book a one way Anchorage- Seattle since you probably are going to have a limited selection. Frankly this will take more than a week- unless you are just looking for a marathon drive. Why not fly one way about $225. AFTER touring interior Alaska for the week?

Thanks, Budget Queen! I was hoping for a response from you in particular.

I was not aware that it was 2300 miles, I had estimated 1200-1500. We are abandoning that plan since DH has only 2 weeks off. We are planning an extended land trip in our camper to the Canadian Rockies and Alaska in the next few years, so we'll save most of our touring til then when we can do it at our leisure.

DH is in favor of flying to Anchorage, touring a little, and catching the Coral SB cruise back to Vancouver. If we're going SB, which side of the ship would be best?

I am also looking into a new 10 or 11 day HAL Vancouver RT cruise on the Volendam and Zaandam, it goes as far as Seward or Whittier before turning back to Vancouver. I've never considered any line but Princess in the past, and am a little nervous about HAL. But the itinerary fits perfectly for a 2 week vacation including travel time. Does anyone know anything of these ships? I'm off to HAL now to research them.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, Budget Queen! I was hoping for a response from you in particular.

I was not aware that it was 2300 miles, I had estimated 1200-1500. We are abandoning that plan since DH has only 2 weeks off. We are planning an extended land trip in our camper to the Canadian Rockies and Alaska in the next few years, so we'll save most of our touring til then when we can do it at our leisure.

DH is in favor of flying to Anchorage, touring a little, and catching the Coral SB cruise back to Vancouver. If we're going SB, which side of the ship would be best?

I am also looking into a new 10 or 11 day HAL Vancouver RT cruise on the Volendam and Zaandam, it goes as far as Seward or Whittier before turning back to Vancouver. I've never considered any line but Princess in the past, and am a little nervous about HAL. But the itinerary fits perfectly for a 2 week vacation including travel time. Does anyone know anything of these ships? I'm off to HAL now to research them.

Thanks for the help!

I give a big edge to HAL for their Seward port- take advantage of touring it and don't just pass through. Just excellent!

My info was incorrect - it looks like I should learn to read again. I thought I had read a digested the info in the CruiseMates newsletter, but obviously not. Let me go back and read it again. I know I didn't make up the 10/11 day cruise Vancouver RT, but I need to get my facts straight. My apologies.

OK, I rechecked and here's the scoop -- it is the Norwegian Dream Seattle RT. The 10 day cruise goes to Whittier, the 11 day to Seward. Thing is, I don't think I'm real excited about trying NCL. Probably will pass on this one.

I apologize - it seemed to me the issue had been solved about the luggage and that nobody really knew. I think you may just have to wait & see. The idea about asking a shopkeeper is a good one to my way of thinking. Anyway, I am bumping it up again for you. Hope you get the info you seek.

Archived