Getting from JFK to the Manhattan Terminal

FI and I leave for our Honeymoon (NCL Dawn) on May 16th. We've traveled to NYC twice before, but never braved the public transportation. We're taking a 2 week honeymoon (1 week cruise, 1 week in Disney World) so we're trying to cut corners on expenses where we can. My friend who currently lives in NYC suggests taking the AirTrain to the E-line, then either hiking it the last leg ,or taking a taxi.

Does anyone know how long of a walk it is from the 50th Street station to the NY Passenger Terminal in Manhattan? We'll be traveling with 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on each.

What time does your flight arrive? The prime objective is to not miss the ship - don't lose sight of it. If you are running late, don't chance it - take a cab.

Your friend has give you good directions - you would take the E train and get off at 50th & 8th. It will be a 4 avenue walk and some streets to the pier. Cab should be under $10.

FI and I leave for our Honeymoon (NCL Dawn) on May 16th. We've traveled to NYC twice before, but never braved the public transportation. We're taking a 2 week honeymoon (1 week cruise, 1 week in Disney World) so we're trying to cut corners on expenses where we can. My friend who currently lives in NYC suggests taking the AirTrain to the E-line, then either hiking it the last leg ,or taking a taxi.

Does anyone know how long of a walk it is from the 50th Street station to the NY Passenger Terminal in Manhattan? We'll be traveling with 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on each.

you are traveling on your honeymoon, have never braved public transportation before and you want to ride the NY subway system with luggage? How romantic(not). Its 4 avenue blocks from the 8th avenue 50th street stop to 12th avenue and 50th street where the cruise terminal is....its about a half mile. The subway will cost $7.25 pp with the cost of the airtrain from Kennedy and take about an hour and a half. A taxi(also a form of public transportation) is fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip-takes 45 minutes. The airport bus is $17pp and then a cab ride as well(or a walk from the Port Authority bus terminal)

you are traveling on your honeymoon, have never braved public transportation before and you want to ride the NY subway system with luggage? How romantic(not).)

We've braved OTHER public transportation- We've never braved the NYC transportation system. (As a matter of fact, I take the bus system to school/work every day where we currently live).

He grew up in Detroit, I grew up in Chicago. We're both VERY familiar with traveling with luggage on public transportation, just not in NYC.

As for flight time- We arrive at 9:20 AM. Should give us PLENTY of time to get there before the ship leaves!

How about a compromise? :)Take the Airtrain to the Long Island Railroad Jamaica hub, take the Long Island RR to Penn Station, take a cab from Penn station to the pier. The Dawn leaves on the weekend, so it will be off peak fares on the LIRR. It also will be easier to deal with the luggage on the LIRR than the E train. There are racks for your luggage and more space.

I agree with Got 2 Cruise. We live on Long Island and this is how we get around every day. The Long Island Railroad will be much more comfortable and quicker than the subway although the subway is cheaper.

I applaud your choice to cut corners where you can. We do the same. I even cooked a few meals on our honeymoon!

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and I'm sure you will celebrate many happy anniversaries cruising.

What time does your flight arrive? The prime objective is to not miss the ship - don't lose sight of it. If you are running late, don't chance it - take a cab.

Your friend has give you good directions - you would take the E train and get off at 50th & 8th. It will be a 4 avenue walk and some streets to the pier. Cab should be under $10.

Question: What is the best way to get to the terminal from the Roosevelt Hotel to the manhattan terminal? A cab. What time should we start out to the terminal. If traffic is backed up do we just sit and stay with the cab...is the meter ticking away. Can we get out and walk to the terminal if we get stuck in traffic or will it be too busy (we will both have a small carry on) and how do we handle the cab fare and tip. Can we just get out of the cab like I see in movies? How about at the terminal since we don't have bags to check in. I know that I can get overworked right at the last minute but hopefully with all the info I can get I will keep my cool.

Beverly

Question: What is the best way to get to the terminal from the Roosevelt Hotel to the manhattan terminal? A cab. What time should we start out to the terminal. If traffic is backed up do we just sit and stay with the cab...is the meter ticking away. Can we get out and walk to the terminal if we get stuck in traffic or will it be too busy (we will both have a small carry on) and how do we handle the cab fare and tip. Can we just get out of the cab like I see in movies? How about at the terminal since we don't have bags to check in. I know that I can get overworked right at the last minute but hopefully with all the info I can get I will keep my cool.

Beverly

Normally the ships start loading around noon. Its 10 minutes from the Roosevelt hotel to the cruise terminal most times. Yes you can get out of the cab anytime(tell them to pull over and pay). NY cabs are required to take credit cards. Its normally meter plus a tip 15-20%...

We've braved OTHER public transportation- We've never braved the NYC transportation system. (As a matter of fact, I take the bus system to school/work every day where we currently live).

He grew up in Detroit, I grew up in Chicago. We're both VERY familiar with traveling with luggage on public transportation, just not in NYC.

As for flight time- We arrive at 9:20 AM. Should give us PLENTY of time to get there before the ship leaves!

yes I have spent time in Detroit. You know the joke first prize in the contest was one weeks all expense paid trip to Detroit second prize was two weeks.... You can almost always tell a native NY'er by asking them which is furthest west Detroit or Chicago(and yes I know the answer)..

You are talking about saving 30 dollars or so with the real hassle of the subway and less a savings on the LIRR which cost more. Up stairs down stairs and with lots of people. Nice romantic way to start a honey moon. Yes I am all for saving money but not when its a real hassle for $30...others may disagree but you can tell me after you ride the NY subway which I do all the time- and yes there is no subway in Detroit. The Chicago system from the airport is much better than NY and I have ridden that too.

Well, none of us might choose to take Airtrain, but .... they are young, it's an adventure, and for sure they will have a story to tell about it.

We lived in Mexico when my husband was in school and I flew out of Kennedy with 4 large army duffle bags which I took on the subway to near JFK and then on the bus to the airport. What was I thinking? But we had no money. I paid a porter at the airport and when he checked me in, he made sure the bags were not centered on the scale - saved me a fortune in overcharges. It was an experience - they will have their experience and remember it forever.

It is an adventure indeed! We are very fortunate to have saved up for the majority of the cost of our trip, and friends and family have given us some excursions and paid for our Disney Dining as wedding gifts. We're the type of people who enjoy long car trips, and don't mind airport camping if it means saving a night of hotel cost.

One of my sorority sisters has made the trip before and she actually suggested we walk the whole darn thing! Bless her heart, she packs incredibly light and loves to sightsee!

It is an adventure indeed! We are very fortunate to have saved up for the majority of the cost of our trip, and friends and family have given us some excursions and paid for our Disney Dining as wedding gifts. We're the type of people who enjoy long car trips, and don't mind airport camping if it means saving a night of hotel cost.

One of my sorority sisters has made the trip before and she actually suggested we walk the whole darn thing! Bless her heart, she packs incredibly light and loves to sightsee!

You can't walk from Kennedy into the city. sorry. But you could walk from Penn Station to the Port, unless your suitcases fall apart first.:)

I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion given to you by Got2Cruise as an economic and reasonably easy way of getting from JFK to the pier: AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station, then cab from Penn Station to the pier. The LIRR trains are relatively comfortable and pleasant--two words I'd never apply to the subway.

Just for the record: The route from Penn Station to the pier is quite walkable, as is the route from the 50th Street subway station; I've done both many times myself. But the blocks are long, and the sidewalks can be crowded; if you have luggage, the distance will seem all that much longer and the crowds all that more dense--not to mention that the weather possibly could be hot-ish/humid/wet. So, treat yourself to a cab from Penn Station to the pier.

Congratulations on your wedding, & have a wonderful honeymoon!

There's almost always a trade-off between price and convenience. The plan that you have to use AirTrain to Jamaica, then the "E" train to 50th Street is reasonable, especially if you're used to public transportation systems. With the amount of luggage involved I would probably walk between the 50th Street station and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, though there's also a bus (route M50) that will travel along 49 Street from the subway station at 8 Avenue to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 12 Avenue. If you use a MetroCard on the "E" train the transfer to the M50 bus is free.

If you're really pinching pennies you can save a few dollars by avoiding the $5 per person AirTrain fare and instead using a bus between the airport and the subway. Most convenient is the Q10 bus that departs from Terminal 4 at JFK (if your airplane arrives at one of the other terminals, you can use AirTrain for free between that terminal and Terminal 4). The Q10 travels to the Kew Gardens subway station, and you can board the "E" train at that station. Bus fare is $2.25, payable in coins only or with MetroCard. If you board the Q10 bus with a MetroCard you'll get a free transfer to the subway (but not a second free transfer to the M50 bus). If paying with coins you'll have to pay again for the subway at Kew Gardens.

Someone here suggested (perhaps only in jest) that you could walk from the airport to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Because the access roads to the passenger terminals at JFK were "upgraded" a few years ago to expressway standards it is not possible to make the journey entirely on foot, though it can be made mostly on foot and at no cost. To do so you'll want to ride on AirTrain from any airport terminal station to the Lefferts Boulevard station. There's no charge for this trip. From the Lefferts Boulevard station you'll walk a short distance north and under the Belt Parkway where you'll emerge onto the New York City street grid. From there you have a choice of many routes to the Queensboro Bridge and on into Manhattan. You'll need to walk about 14 miles, and I would allocate at least 5 hours in total for the journey.

I don't have an answer to your question but I wanted to congratulate you on your upcoming nuptials. Have a beautiful wedding and a wonderful honeymoon.

Up stairs down stairs and with lots of people.

Now let's assume that you would like to take a shower after all that physical activity. Would that be possible by 3 o'clock and if so, what would you miss instead?

Now let's assume that you would like to take a shower after all that physical activity. Would that be possible by 3 o'clock and if so, what would you miss instead?

You must have a point there? You have an opinion...I have mine. I ride the subway almost every day. Its a great way to get where you are going. It generally is not a romantic way. Its not a great way to get anywhere with luggage. The LIRR charges about $8 each way during peak times. So the savings is not great.(for two its 16 plus 10 for the Airtrain plus $10 -15 for the Cab from Penn Station). My point is there are times to take a cab...which by the way is also public transportation just not mass transit. Also if the cruise ship is scheduled to leave at 4, getting there are 3 may just mean you won't board as all(miss the cruise) since the cruise lines require you to get there at least 90 minutes before.

sometimes the subway is romantic....isn't it when Tom Cruise is riding the empty Chicago Transit with Rebecca De Mornay in Risky Business(with no luggage) but I wouldn't try that on the LIRR at 10 in the morning....

You must have a point there?

You are right, I was about as incomprehensible as possible. My point is that carrying suitcases of 50 pounds or so up and down the stairs is comparable to a workout. After workouts most people like to take a shower and change clothes. In my experience cruise ship cabins become available around 3 p.m. and suitcases may take even longer. So there is a chance of someone feeling uncomfortable for a while. That discomfort could make people feel like skipping activities such as having lunch, exploring the ship or anything else they would do if they felt comfortable. Now that should be weighed against additional cost for a taxi. The conclusion will differ from person to person.

Please excuse me for causing confusion.

You are right, I was about as incomprehensible as possible. My point is that carrying suitcases of 50 pounds or so up and down the stairs is comparable to a workout. After workouts most people like to take a shower and change clothes. In my experience cruise ship cabins become available around 3 p.m. and suitcases may take even longer. So there is a chance of someone feeling uncomfortable for a while. That discomfort could make people feel like skipping activities such as having lunch, exploring the ship or anything else they would do if they felt comfortable. Now that should be weighed against additional cost for a taxi. The conclusion will differ from person to person.

Please excuse me for causing confusion.

and the new bride will love you for it....maybe?

I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion given to you by Got2Cruise as an economic and reasonably easy way of getting from JFK to the pier: AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station, then cab from Penn Station to the pier. The LIRR trains are relatively comfortable and pleasant--two words I'd never apply to the subway.

Just for the record: The route from Penn Station to the pier is quite walkable, as is the route from the 50th Street subway station; I've done both many times myself. But the blocks are long, and the sidewalks can be crowded; if you have luggage, the distance will seem all that much longer and the crowds all that more dense--not to mention that the weather possibly could be hot-ish/humid/wet. So, treat yourself to a cab from Penn Station to the pier.

Congratulations on your wedding, & have a wonderful honeymoon!

economical? a cab costs $45 plus toll(5.50) plus tip lets be generous and say $60.

the airtain, LIRR, cab combo costs for two $40.00(10 for the airtrain $16 for the LIRR and $10-15 for the cab).... so all the up and down waiting for the train etc for a whole $20.00. If you want to save money its the "best" to get a metrocard(for two not a one person card) at the airport take the City bus to the Howard Beach stop of the A train(the subway stop is at grade level no up and down)... and then change for the local at 42 nd street across the platform(no up and down) and then walk the short distance(relatively) from 50th street and eight avenue( not a deep subway stop either) to the cruise terminal....then its $4.50 in total at least then you can say you saved something. Then at least you save $50.00-

so if cost is the consideration the City bus way is much less expensive.

Me I would still take the cab.

economical? a cab costs $45 plus toll(5.50) plus tip lets be generous and say $60.

the airtain, LIRR, cab combo costs for two $40.00(10 for the airtrain $16 for the LIRR and $10-15 for the cab).... so all the up and down waiting for the train etc for a whole $20.00. If you want to save money its the "best" to get a metrocard(for two not a one person card) at the airport take the City bus to the Howard Beach stop of the A train(the subway stop is at grade level no up and down)... and then change for the local at 42 nd street across the platform(no up and down) and then walk the short distance(relatively) from 50th street and eight avenue( not a deep subway stop either) to the cruise terminal....then its $4.50 in total at least then you can say you saved something. Then at least you save $50.00-

so if cost is the consideration the City bus way is much less expensive.

Me I would still take the cab.

Now you understand why I have a reputation for being penny-wise and pound-foolish!:D

Archived