Half Moon Cays clamshells

They are all down the beach. You find the one you want and rent it at one of the water sports buildings. They are already in place, lying down in the sand behind two loungers. When you pay for one, the attendant will go with you to the one you want and put the brace in the clamshell and raise it so it then covers the chairs.

You should probably be able to get one very near their cabana if you get an early tender. The farther from the tender port area, the easier it is to find vacant chairs.

I get as far away from the "action" as I can, as this is my one place where all I want to do is rent my clamshell, settle in with a book, go for a swim or three, have a cold beverage, and just relax all day.

I guess it depends on where you want to be. There are only two "shacks" where you pay. It's where you sign up for the water sports, etc.

I've always been with someone, or been on the island so early that I was one of the first there. Plus, I walk down the beach, away from all the action. If it's already getting crowded, I have someone "claim" the chairs while I stand in line to pay for the clamshell.

Last time, I was near Cabana 8 or 9; close to restrooms and the picnic area, across from a roped-off swimming area.

I'm trying to find the map that used to be on HAL's website. It would make it a lot easier to show what I'm trying to describe.

I did find a good pic, though, that I took last time.

2297021620102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see that the uncovered chairs are along the shoreline, with the row of chairs and their unraised clamshells behind them. The cabanas are behind those.

DD also took a quick video. You can see the cabanas at the beginning. The little sailboats are located where the shed is to pay. This is at the "watersports #2" building. The #1 building is way back down the beach near the tender area.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3091854590102755439KSPonN

Found the map!

http://www.geekcruises.com/pdf/Half_Moon_Cay.pdf

I'm pretty sure the cabanas are numbered starting from the port area. So, if you know their cabana number, you'll be able to find a spot near them.

Hope this helps!

Our excursions are not available to book yet for our HAL January trip - curious, how much is it to rent the clamshell? Is this the only alternative to the private cabana?

And while I'm at it, anyone know how much for the HAL private Cabana for only a few 2 - 4 people?

I don't know about HAL.

Carnival you can book the cabanas once you board, but not the clamshell. You have to go to one of the watersports sheds.

It's a pain and something I've mentioned to Carnival more than once. You should at least be able to pay for it onboard and show your receipt to an attendant without having to stand in line.

It's one of the many reasons why I get the first tender over. Besides wanting to spend every possible second on the island, it's just easier to do all this before the masses descend.

And it is much easier to take care of at the #2 shed. It's a lot quieter further up the beach. The "must-hang-around-the-action" folks all head straight to the #1 shed.

I'm afraid I don't remember the cost. $15? $20? Sorry. :o

Thank you for your reply NCTribeFan.

On HAL's list of [possible] shore excursions for our trip, the Clamshell rental is listed as an "excursion".

Since the excursions are not available to book yet for our cruise in January, I'll assume we'll be able to book thru HAL online. If not, no worries, you've provided us with good info on where we, as "not having to hang out with a crowd" will head too!

Really looking forward to relaxing there on the beach - in sunshine - in the winter time WHOOHOO!

It is just paradise. Really. I had no plans at all to book my next cruise (was still unemployed when I did so :eek: ) but when I saw I could get a 7-night, sailing from Charleston (love the historic city and Isle of Palms) that goes to HMC?

I couldn't help myself! And I don't even care that I can't get anyone to go with me. I'm going alone and I'm going to have a wonderful time. :D

I've been there in May and twice in December. Water was significantly cooler in December, but not enough to keep me on my lounger - and I'm not a swimmer!

It's just beautiful. You'll love it!

Ahh...it sounds fabulous...we are so looking forward to this trip...it'll be hard not to go into the beautiful waters...and believe me, the waters will be warmer on a good day here in our ocean on the west coast (in mid summer!).

My DW loves the sun, I need to regulate my appearance in the sun, always have my cover up but the clamshell would be good to have too.

I don't blame you for not helping yourself NCTribeFan - we only live once (this round)...you gotta travel while you can... My parents left it till they retired, and now my dad's health is not the greatest and cannot get health, travel insurance. Same thing with my dear Auntie...and couldn't fly because of health. So you GO and ENJOY LIFE :D

Archived