EPIC Hotel vs. InterContinental

pokeypoke

Has anyone stayed at the Epic Hotel? I was thinking of booking a room at the IC through LMT for $84/night for standard room but then saw the Epic Hotel (after doing research) on LMT for $167 city view/$223 water view. Yes, I know the money difference is a no-brainer if one is on a budget but, I don't think $167 is that bad. I went to Tripadvisor and the Epic Hotel is rated #1 in Miami and the InterCotinental is rated #28. I keep reading that the IC is a nice hotel but the rooms are dated and the staff is not very warm and friendly.

Anyone have any info when comparing the two? Is the epic near Bayside Marketplace or walgreens/drugstore/other restaurants? Is it true you have to pay extra to use the spa and pool at IC? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Has anyone stayed at the Epic Hotel? I was thinking of booking a room at the IC through LMT for $84/night for standard room but then saw the Epic Hotel (after doing research) on LMT for $167 city view/$223 water view. Yes, I know the money difference is a no-brainer if one is on a budget but, I don't think $167 is that bad. I went to Tripadvisor and the Epic Hotel is rated #1 in Miami and the InterCotinental is rated #28. I keep reading that the IC is a nice hotel but the rooms are dated and the staff is not very warm and friendly.

Anyone have any info when comparing the two? Is the epic near Bayside Marketplace or walgreens/drugstore/other restaurants? Is it true you have to pay extra to use the spa and pool at IC? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The IC is a nice hotel but The Epic Hotel is The Bomb.

No comparison.

I went to Tripadvisor and the Epic Hotel is rated #1 in Miami and the InterCotinental is rated #28. I keep reading that the IC is a nice hotel but the rooms are dated and the staff is not very warm and friendly.Thanks

Joey, IMO, this says it all. Here's another comparison. Good luck. ;)

http://www.oyster.com/search/#&qa=+location:miami&lat=25.77266312&long=-80.187116&sort=D&q=Intercontinental Miami&hotelid=1045

Thanks everyone. I wen ahead and booked the Epic for our 2 night pre-cruise. We also receive complimentary continental breakfast with our booking. After seeing video on youtube and reading many reviews, I am very happy with my choice and with the price I paid:)!

Thanks everyone. I wen ahead and booked the Epic for our 2 night pre-cruise. We also receive complimentary continental breakfast with our booking. After seeing video on youtube and reading many reviews, I am very happy with my choice and with the price I paid:)!

Sign up for Kimpton In Touch if you want free wifi from your room. Have a great time! ;)

Wondering if someone could help me out on where to stay in Miami? We are staying one night pre-cruise on June 13th in Miami and having hard time deciding on where to stay. The Epic looks beautiful but not sure if it is walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, etc.... Found a good deal on LMT but don't want to spend a ton on transportation either. Not sure if Epic has it or note but I would love a balcony overlooking water if anyone has any suggestions.

Also was wondering about golfing in Miami that day too. Our flight gets into FLL at 1:40.

Any of the hotels close to the port and walking distance to the above on the beach or have their own private beach?

Thanks a bunch for any input or suggestion!

Wondering if someone could help me out on where to stay in Miami? We are staying one night pre-cruise on June 13th in Miami and having hard time deciding on where to stay. The Epic looks beautiful but not sure if it is walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, etc.... Found a good deal on LMT but don't want to spend a ton on transportation either. Not sure if Epic has it or note but I would love a balcony overlooking water if anyone has any suggestions.

Also was wondering about golfing in Miami that day too. Our flight gets into FLL at 1:40.

Any of the hotels close to the port and walking distance to the above on the beach or have their own private beach?

The Port of Miami is in the City of Miami on the western shore of Biscayne Bay. There are no beaches in the vicinity of the port. Beaches are on Key Biscayne (island reachable by causeway) or in the City of Miami Beach, which is on the eastern shore of the Bay, about a $15-$20 cab ride away. South Beach is on the Atlantic Ocean (eastern) side of the City of Miami Beach.

I did book the Epic from LMT. Every room has a balcony and all rooms begin on the 18th floor. The Epic is near a golf coarse, according to their website, but am not sure exactly where it is. Bayside Marketplace is a few blocks from the hotel and is supposed to be walkable.

I did book the Epic from LMT. Every room has a balcony and all rooms begin on the 18th floor. The Epic is near a golf coarse, according to their website, but am not sure exactly where it is. Bayside Marketplace is a few blocks from the hotel and is supposed to be walkable.

I believe the Epic hotel is located in South Beach and therefore not within walking distance of Bayside Marketplace, unless you really, really want to walk a distance! Could someone please confirm this for "pokeypoke" as well as me.:eek:

I believe the Epic hotel is located in South Beach and therefore not within walking distance of Bayside Marketplace, unless you really, really want to walk a distance! Could someone please confirm this for "pokeypoke" as well as me.:eek:

No. The Epic is in downtown Miami, about six blocks from Bayside.

Thank you guys for the info on the area. I don't know why it is so hard to decide. It is only one night but we don't get out much!

Are there any bars or restaurants overlooking water near the Epic or are they all in the Bayside Marketplace (if any there either)?

Thank you guys for the info on the area. I don't know why it is so hard to decide. It is only one night but we don't get out much!

Are there any bars or restaurants overlooking water near the Epic or are they all in the Bayside Marketplace (if any there either)?

I know Area 31 (restaurant/lounge/poolside) is located on the 16th floor of the Epic and it overlooks the bay. I hear it is a bit pricey. Bayside MP is right on the bay and has Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gumps, Chili's, Hooters, Latin American Cafe, a food court and a few other dinning venues. There is live music preformed on the Bayside Stage. As for bars/lounges, other than those that maybe inside the Bayside restaurants, there really is no nightlife in downtown. Most of the surrounding hotels have a bar/lounge or restaurant.

One advantage of staying at a hotel with a bay view, you can see the cruise ships coming in and going out. You can also look accross the bay and see Miami Beach/SB. The Epic Hotel does have a marina dock but not sure if boat tours are given there. The InterContinental does not have a marina but it does sit on the bay. Bayside MP does have a dock where you can take boat tours to see the mansions of the rich and famous.

Area 31 is a do not miss and the view is insane.

As far as golf goes, unless you want to golf at 6AM, the heat and humidity in mid June will kill you. I'd skip golf this trip.

http://www.area31restaurant.com/miami-bars.php

FWIW, Area 31 isn't going to be any more expensive than the touristy Bayside.

Thanks

I just stayed at the Hyatt last week and Epic was right across the street. I walked to CVS drugstore about 2 blocks away. Across the street from CVS is Ross where I picked up a beach bag and extra bathing suit for my cruise.

Thanks for all the good information! I am really excited to go on this vacation and don't want to miss out on anything. I saw that they do "party cruises" and I'm pretty sure they are in this area. Has anyone done one of these? I will be going on a Sunday so not sure how much partying will be going on! I know where I live it is pretty quiet on Sundays! Also saw a pirate tour too that looked kind of fun! :)

Thanks for all the good information! I am really excited to go on this vacation and don't want to miss out on anything. I saw that they do "party cruises" and I'm pretty sure they are in this area. Has anyone done one of these? I will be going on a Sunday so not sure how much partying will be going on! I know where I live it is pretty quiet on Sundays! Also saw a pirate tour too that looked kind of fun! :)

Are you kidding? Head over to South Beach and the Mondrian Hotel for the best Sunday party in Miami. Hotels all over Miami Beach and Miami have Sunday Soirees.

Miami is wide open on Sunday.

Here you go: http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/index.php?/news/comments/mondrian-pool-party/

Thanks so much! You can definately tell I do not get out much! Live in Omaha, NE and the only thing exciting to do on a Sunday here is to go to church, mow or go to the zoo! All of which I did last Sunday! :) What is your opinion of the party cruise that I found (Captain Jimmy's Fiesta)?

Thanks so much! You can definately tell I do not get out much! Live in Omaha, NE and the only thing exciting to do on a Sunday here is to go to church, mow or go to the zoo! All of which I did last Sunday! :) What is your opinion of the party cruise that I found (Captain Jimmy's Fiesta)?

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about him. Check out the discussion forums at www.MiamiBeach411.com and ask them. Worst case they'll point you in a good direction if you don't have a good plan!

Thanks for the site info. I will check it out! Still wish I could find a place to possibly golf even 9 holes near the EPIC or Intercontinental (not sure which I will choose yet) that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, both for the golf and for transportation. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate that too! And I don't care if it is 110 out!

Nice to hear the great reviews on the Epic. We are staying there in two weeks for a couple nights prior to our cruise. After reading this thread, I'll definitely be hitting Area 31 for a cocktail following dinner at Joes Stone Crab:)

Archived