How to accessorize this dress properly?

OceanSea

I am a bridesmaid in a wedding this summer and just got the dress last week. It's a bit plain and wasn't the dress that I originally wanted but it's not my wedding ;)

I'm going to wear it for one of the formal nights on my cruise.

The color is tangerine.

Here is the dress I originally wanted:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001875&currentIdx=4&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001467%257c3001613%257c3001875&catentryId=6096812&sort=

Here is the dress that I actually got:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001875&currentIdx=30&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001467%257c3001613%257c3001875&catentryId=6097109&sort=

I really liked the beading on the first dress so I guess I'm wondering how can I accessorize this for my cruise. I might be adding the thin straps to it but I'm undecided. Would a simple pearl necklace be ok? I am open to all ideas!

I don't think I'd do pearls with that vibrant tangerine color. It's a lovely dress!

I'm thinking more along the lines of aurora borealis crystal beads, maybe something like this necklace with simple stud earrings, or a set like this with a smaller necklace and dangly earrings.

Aurora borealis crystals pick up just about any color and are great pearl alternatives. That dress is classic enough to call for classic jewelry, but the color is kicky enough to demand something a little different.

I'd hit it with a stunning LARGE piece of neckwear..A collar..of assorted stones(some of dress color), too much blank space for an itty bitty strand of just anything. . take the drees w/you whenyou shop, and try it on with...keep us posted

I'd do silver/diamond-like dangled earrings and a similar necklace..Very BLING!

Maybe like these:

silver-dangle-earrings10.gif

You dont have to buy something expensive. You can easily go to the mall and find accessories like this. I bought some like these for like 12 dollars and have them still for whenever I wear something that calls for it. If you want to spend a lot then you can do that too.

Either way I'd deff do silver, it looks better with colors like the tangerine you said the dress was.

With the simplicity of the top of the dress, you can do a really knockout necklace. I like the suggestion of crystal. Wear simple earrings so as not to be overpowering. You could add and interesting bracelet to balance the looks.

Fabulous dress. Looks great just as it is, but if you really want to add thin straps, why not buy crystals or sparkly beads which you can buy by the metre on an invisible backing, and attach as straps - it would look amazing.

Fabulous dress. Looks great just as it is, but if you really want to add thin straps, why not buy crystals or sparkly beads which you can buy by the metre on an invisible backing, and attach as straps - it would look amazing.

Fabulous idea! I was thinking of adding beads somehow but wasn't sure how to go about it. Great idea!

You all are so very helpful.

I love the Bling being shown! I was just in JoAnn Fabrics Sunday and they had the fancy bra straps.

I wish I would have seen those before I spend so much for mine over in Daytona.

Claire's should have the other things shown.

Very pretty dress!

totally agree with the others that pearls would be too "simple" with the vibrancy of that dress...with tangerine I am not sure I would go with the silvertone or clear crystals...I would go more with the golden tones--maybe even some smokey quartz with other vibrant stones interspersed

I think the bold necklace/dangly earring set idea is right on...you will have fun shopping! do you have a Charming Charlies store near you?

totally agree with the others that pearls would be too "simple" with the vibrancy of that dress...with tangerine I am not sure I would go with the silvertone or clear crystals...I would go more with the golden tones--maybe even some smokey quartz with other vibrant stones interspersed

I think the bold necklace/dangly earring set idea is right on...you will have fun shopping! do you have a Charming Charlies store near you?

No I do not have a Charming Charlies. What do they sell there? Maybe I have something similar here.

No I do not have a Charming Charlies. What do they sell there? Maybe I have something similar here.

i dont know about charming charlies etc. but do you have any craft or artisans markets near you they would be worth a visit to find an individual and unique piece yes i agree something bold to make a statement maybe something with a blood stone as a centrepiece even thrift stores often have jewellry where you can pick up something different

I have fused glass pieces that are beautiful and sparkle in the light. You might be able to find someone local.

I have ordered wonderful pieces from The Glass Boutique

http://www.etsy.com/shop/theglassboutique?page=2

If you see a shape you like, she will custom make it in the colors

you choose. Each piece is unique and beautiful.

Have fun looking.

Once I clicked on the color to make it tangerine I loved the idea of crystals that could reflect the color of the dress. I would not go with rhinestones for this color.

BTW, you said you were thinking of straps. If you are doing this for comfort fabric tape could also work. I love the bare neck on this gown.

turquoise looks great with tangerine, so I might consider a chunky, faceted turquoise beaded choker, especially if you are in the Carribean. I wouldn't go with a tumbled stones, unless they have some type of crystal along with it, as it might be to casual. Check out Ann Taylor Loft or similar stores, as they are showing some really nice summer necklaces.

Archived