Pearl 4/3-4/10/10 Review

Fairydust312

Great cruise overall. :)

Miami Embarkation: Was a bit of a mess. VIP check-in was swamped (I think a lot of people showed up at the same time), but they did their best to process everyone quickly.

Ship: It is in great condition and very well-maintained.

Staff: Friendly and efficient. No complaints.

Stateroom: We were in an A3, which was incredible. The courtyard was beautiful and a nice get-away from the crowds (full ship for Spring Break). All of the courtyard staff were wonderful.

Food: We had one dinner in the main dining room. They changed the menu for that evening after we arrived, so don’t necessarily rely on the menus people have posted to plan your specialty restaurant nights. We went on a Wednesday, but they served the “Sunday” menu. I had the salmon and really liked it. All the specialty restaurants we tried were great (Le Bistro, Asian Garden, Sushi, Teppanyaki, and Mambos). At Le Bistro, I ordered 4 appetizers and no entrée (I had 2 as my appetizer and 2 as an entrée – they gave me double servings of the last two, which was nice). Cagney’s breakfast was fantastic. Had one lunch at Cagney’s, which also was good. The buffet for lunch was much better than I expected. We would load up at the main buffet and take our food out back to the Great Outdoors. Best place to eat lunch on the ship, I think.

Shows: Only saw Sharkbait, which was really, really funny. My daughter went to Garden of the Geisha one night with the kids club and really liked it.

Kids Club: Counselors were very nice, and there were many fun planned activities. At some points, though, they just packed all the kids (of different age groups) into one room and played videos.

Ports: Samana (Cayo Levantado was beautiful and had decent snorkeling; I did hear complaints about the port from those who did not book an excursion); St. Thomas (went to Megan’s Bay, which was crowded with the Oasis folks, but still nice); Tortola (went to Virgin Gorda – I would call it a must-see because it is quite amazing, but it was so crowded that it was difficult to navigate); GSC (nice, but really crowded – unless you are on an early tender or arrive after people start to leave, it will be very difficult to find a chair).

Spa: Had a massage, which was good. But it does not get you access to the rest of the facilities. Also, be ready for a 15-minute sales pitch at the end for various spa products. That happens at RCL’s spas too, so it’s not unique to NCL.

Debarkation: Was a breeze. Best thing about Freestyle, I think, is being able to hang around for a while in your stateroom the morning of debarkation.

Happy to answer any questions.

Great review. Glad you had a good time. I loved Sharkbait when I saw them on the Crown years ago - I hope to catch them again on a future cruise. I totally agree about the Great Outdoors. It is the reason the Gem and Pearl are my favorite ships to date - that combined with the nice layout of the Garden Cafe. I remember you asked about upsells - did you start out in the Courtyard or was that the result of an upsell?

Miami Embarkation: Was a bit of a mess. VIP check-in was swamped (I think a lot of people showed up at the same time), but they did their best to process everyone quickly.

I enjoyed your review. What time did you check in?

Seems like just about everyone is happy with the Pearl! I know we've loved the 3x we've sailed on her!

I know there's a sales pitch thrown in at the spa, but really 15 minutes? That is really pushing the envelope with an aggressive pitch.:eek::eek:

Seems like just about everyone is happy with the Pearl! I know we've loved the 3x we've sailed on her!

I know there's a sales pitch thrown in at the spa' date=' but really 15 minutes? That is really pushing the envelope with an aggressive pitch.:eek::eek:[/quote']

Hi, Barb! My experience is that it really depends upon the salesperson. I don't doubt the 15 minutes. I once had the most relentless manicurist ever born! :rolleyes: 15 minutes would have been her taking it easy on me. At the exact same time, my sister was enjoying the most relaxing, devoid of pitch), manicure she's ever had.

Thanks for the great review.... I am booked in a Pearl A3 to Alaska this summer and am planning to use the sofa bed for a 25 year old cousin... did anyone in your party use the sofa bed? If so, was it comfortable? Was there room to maneuver when it was set up?

Any other details of the A3, or pics.... I would love both!

thanks!

Love the Pearl!

I could be wrong, but I think we have some mutual friends and I met them on my first Pearl sailing, Harold & Norma R.?!?!? I really miss my dear friend Norma!

We checked in at noon, which seemed to be a very popular check-in time.

As for the spa pitch, it really was about 15 minutes (I'm not the kind of person who interrupts others very easily -- I imagine a more assertive person could have shut it down more quickly).

As for the sofa in the living room, we didn't use it. From pictures I've seen online, it pops straight up (rather than folding out), so there is the same maneuverability in the living room. That said, the sofa itself didn't seem to be very long. I don't know how tall your 25 yo cousin is, but I imagine a really tall person might hang off a bit. As for details about the A3, I didn't really discover anything I hadn't read on-line (that said, I lurked on this board for about 3 months soaking up every detail I could). It was a fabulous room for three people. Plenty of space to spread out. The balcony was actually bigger than I expected given the comments I read about it. Not as big as some others I've seen, but certainly big enough for us. There is an awning that blocks your view straight down to the water, but other than that, it was nice. The master bathroom has to be the best part of an A3, though they really need to replace the door to the toilet with something opaque. Not a big fan of the peek-a-boo door.

We actually used the private sundeck quite a bit (very comfy lounge chairs). There was one day when we were moving pretty fast, and it was very windy. But other times we were sailing fairly slowly, so there was just a pleasant breeze (which was a nice relief from the hot Caribbean sun).

Ryan was the concierge, and he was quite nice. Since all the suites were booked, he had a lot of work to do last week, so we really didn't see him very often. He has desk hours in the Star Bar and a phone number where you can always reach him if you need something. I don't know if he's continuing on to Alaska (we were the last Caribbean sailing before the repo).

Love the Pearl!

I could be wrong, but I think we have some mutual friends and I met them on my first Pearl sailing, Harold & Norma R.?!?!? I really miss my dear friend Norma!

Hi Sooners,

You're absolutely right - Bob and I met Harold & Norma back in May 2003 when the Dawn sailed for the first time from Miami to NYC. They were dedicated NCL fans. I remember we had a huge Meet & Greet of nearly 110 and Norma made sun visors for all the women & a luggage tassle for the men.

We stayed in touch over the years and it was very sad indeed when Norma passed away after a long medical battle. She never gave up her enthusiasm for cruising even when she had to get around in her motorized scooter. Such a zest for life. I hope Harold & her children & grandchildren are getting along OK but I'm sure they dearly miss Norma.

Hope to have the pleasure of sailing with you one day cause any friend of Norma's is a friend of mine.;):D

Hi Sooners' date='

You're absolutely right - Bob and I met Harold & Norma back in May 2003 when the Dawn sailed for the first time from Miami to NYC. They were dedicated NCL fans. I remember we had a huge Meet & Greet of nearly 110 and Norma made sun visors for all the women & a luggage tassle for the men.

We stayed in touch over the years and it was very sad indeed when Norma passed away after a long medical battle. She never gave up her enthusiasm for cruising even when she had to get around in her motorized scooter. Such a zest for life. I hope Harold & her children & grandchildren are getting along OK but I'm sure they dearly miss Norma.

Hope to have the pleasure of sailing with you one day cause any friend of Norma's is a friend of mine.;):D[/quote']

It only took a week for my wife and I to think of her like a second mom. She really did have a zest for life. I can't tell you how blessed we were to share breakfast and lunch in Cagney's with them everyday....so many great stories about cruising. It broke my heart when she told me the cancer had returned.

I stay in touch with Harold by email and hope to sail with him in the future.

I hope to get the pleasure of meeting you some day. :)

Jeff

----Sorry for hijacking the thread, Back on topic------

Thanks for the great review.... I am booked in a Pearl A3 to Alaska this summer and am planning to use the sofa bed for a 25 year old cousin... did anyone in your party use the sofa bed? If so, was it comfortable? Was there room to maneuver when it was set up?

Any other details of the A3, or pics.... I would love both!

thanks!

We were on the Pearl last week in a Courtyard Villa (A4 without the 2nd bedroom). My 16 year old daughter slept on the pop up couch bed and was not complimentary about the size or comfort. You are also going to have fun with the clear glass doors on the shower and toilet. Otherwise a great cabin and excellent ship!

We were on the Pearl last week in a Courtyard Villa (A4 without the 2nd bedroom). My 16 year old daughter slept on the pop up couch bed and was not complimentary about the size or comfort. You are also going to have fun with the clear glass doors on the shower and toilet. Otherwise a great cabin and excellent ship!

Cruzwinnr, did your 16 year old daughter happen to befriend a 4 year old? If so, I can tell you the 4 year old hasn't stopped talking about her!!!

Cruzwinnr, did your 16 year old daughter happen to befriend a 4 year old? If so, I can tell you the 4 year old hasn't stopped talking about her!!!

Yes that was my daughter, it seemed like they had a great relationship in the Courtyard.

Yes that was my daughter, it seemed like they had a great relationship in the Courtyard.

I will be in the A3 with my 4 and 3 year olds in August.... did your kids like the courtyard? Were they able to use the pool a little? Did you have any problems with other guests not being really happy to have young kids around?

thanks!

I will be in the A3 with my 4 and 3 year olds in August.... did your kids like the courtyard? Were they able to use the pool a little? Did you have any problems with other guests not being really happy to have young kids around?

thanks!

My daughter (the 4 yo) really liked the courtyard (especially the M&Ms on the counter in the afternoons). She used the pool for at least a little while every day. It's a small, resistance pool (with a jet you can swim against). There were other kids in the courtyard that week, and many used the pool at some point or another. I didn't see anyone that had a problem with them being here, but the kids were well-behaved and the parents were always there with the kids.

My twins loved the courtyard. They used the pool with the 4 year old and the 16 year old! My son figured out how to turn on the jets in the pool. They loved their new 4 year old friend whose picture is up in our house and that 16 year old was a doll who I gave the magazine too!!!!!!

We are actually looking into booking another cruise on the Epic. The courtyard looks amazing! I'm in search of a new PCC.....If anyone has a wonderful one to recommend, please email me their name+phone number. Dont't forget to give me your name so I can pass on the kudos for you!

Thanks!

moochieme2@aol.com

so nice to hear that families with young kids had a nice experience in the courtyard! This is my first NCL cruise, and my first with my kids, so I'm kind of nervous. There is virtually NO INFO about NCL's courtyard villas on the family page, so I was starting to think families didn't typically use them!

thanks to all...

becky

Great cruise overall. :)

Ship: It is in great condition and very well-maintained.

Staff: Friendly and efficient. No complaints.

Stateroom: We were in an A3, which was incredible. The courtyard was beautiful and a nice get-away from the crowds (full ship for Spring Break). All of the courtyard staff were wonderful.

Food: We had one dinner in the main dining room. They changed the menu for that evening after we arrived, so don’t necessarily rely on the menus people have posted to plan your specialty restaurant nights. We went on a Wednesday, but they served the “Sunday” menu. I had the salmon and really liked it. All the specialty restaurants we tried were great (Le Bistro, Asian Garden, Sushi, Teppanyaki, and Mambos). At Le Bistro, I ordered 4 appetizers and no entrée (I had 2 as my appetizer and 2 as an entrée – they gave me double servings of the last two, which was nice). Cagney’s breakfast was fantastic. Had one lunch at Cagney’s, which also was good. The buffet for lunch was much better than I expected. We would load up at the main buffet and take our food out back to the Great Outdoors. Best place to eat lunch on the ship, I think.

Shows: Only saw Sharkbait, which was really, really funny. My daughter went to Garden of the Geisha one night with the kids club and really liked it.

Kids Club: Counselors were very nice, and there were many fun planned activities. At some points, though, they just packed all the kids (of different age groups) into one room and played videos.

Ports: Samana (Cayo Levantado was beautiful and had decent snorkeling; I did hear complaints about the port from those who did not book an excursion); St. Thomas (went to Megan’s Bay, which was crowded with the Oasis folks, but still nice); Tortola (went to Virgin Gorda – I would call it a must-see because it is quite amazing, but it was so crowded that it was difficult to navigate); GSC (nice, but really crowded – unless you are on an early tender or arrive after people start to leave, it will be very difficult to find a chair).

Spa: Had a massage, which was good. But it does not get you access to the rest of the facilities. Also, be ready for a 15-minute sales pitch at the end for various spa products. That happens at RCL’s spas too, so it’s not unique to NCL.

Debarkation: Was a breeze. Best thing about Freestyle, I think, is being able to hang around for a while in your stateroom the morning of debarkation.

Happy to answer any questions.

Wow that is a small font. I can't even see it. But ope you had a great time.

Archived