Are AThens Walking Tours worth the money?

cwuer

I have been to Athens twice but am going with my young adult children this time and want them to get a really good taste of this city. I know most of the sights of interest can be seen on foot within a relatively short walking distance. I was therefore considering a walking tour because so many of the sites need commentary so you understand what you are seeing. I was a bit surprised however at the cost of a walking tour (using Athens Walking Tours.) The one that combines the Acropolis and city tour is 3 hrs in lengh and the cost is 36 Euro adult and 29 euro for students. The cost for this one combined with the acropolis museum goes up to 53 and 43 euro. This is almost as much money as we are paying for full days in other ports that required use of van for 8 hours. I do want the benefit of dialogue but this seems steep to me. Are there any here who have taken this tour and can comment on it's value for money? 235 Euro (about $320) seems high to me for a 5 hour walking tour (nor even a private tour) Any thought/comments or suggestions of other companies that might be more affordable. thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing! We are a group of 8 and it would seem if we are paying that much for a walking tour, maybe we should have a private one!

Athens Walking Tours have an excellent rating on TripAdvisor. I did e-mail them about a private tour but have not heard back yet. If I do, I will post.

yeah, I decided against it. Got a van tour with licensed guide for 5 hours for 300 Euro and that is for 12 people. Much cheaper and so much of that will be done on foot anyway. i think the other is just too much for 3 hours and only 5 people. Not saying it would not be really good, but overpriced in my opinion for a walking tour.

We have walked for miles on the streets of Athens and we do enjoy the city. The thought of being part of some large group following a guide (with a little sign) is enough to make me gag, but then we are pretty well known on CC as not being fans of orgainized excursions. As to using a van (see prior post) we find that the worst way to experience any city. My wife likes to remind me of one wonderful spring day in Paris when we saw a tour bus stopped in traffic along the Rue de Rivoli and you could see the passenger noses pressed-up against the sealed windows as they looked out at the wonderful street, shops, cafes, etc. The way to experience a city is to walk, browse shops, stop in cafes, smell the smells, hear the sounds, etc. We will save the vans until we are in our 100s and can no longer use our feet. In Athens we have walked all the way from the Acropolis over to the Plaka (and adjacent Syntagma Square) and enjoyed every moment. Besides the Plaka and Syntagma Square some enjoy the Omonia Square area (lots of shopping). We recently discovered a new web site that is full of good Athens info http://www.athensguide.com/ There is more then enough info on that site to plan a week in Athens.

Hank

yes, agree about the groups so large a flag is required. I am talking much smaller group, and the van is really just transport from point A to point B. Obviously the acropolis, plaka, museums, etc. will be done on foot. I have been to Athens twice before and about wore myself out with the walking. A little time to ride and see some of the sights that are not right there together will be a welcome break. But to each his own, I've done the "I'm gonna see it all on foot" before and I'm over it! LOL

Well, in most cases we are big advocates of booking private tours in any ports. To be honest, Athens is one in which it is really relatively easy to do your own independent walking tour. All the major antiquities are located along the Antiquities Promenade and it is easy to follow.

As far as needing commentary, of course it depends on your background and how much you can get from a guidebook. I am something of a student of Ancient Greece so I sometimes found the guide telling me a lot more than I needed to know. There are many excellent guidebooks available. Athens Past and Present from Frommers is a very good one.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html for the Antiquities Promenade on our own.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree with Hank and MercedMike. We had a great time wandering around and using Rick Steve's excellent guide when needed.

I concur; Rick Steves does it all for me. Fabulous walking tours and sight tours.

As with so many other things, it is all a matter of what you are looking for. I often travel solo and have a hard time justifying the expense of private tours. If someone was looking for a guided tour, this would seem to be a good option (e.g., a small group tour, well reviewed, for a solo or a couple). Some people seem to prefer an actual guide and -- given the high ratings for this outfit, particularly on TripAdvisor -- for them it's worth considering.

As for me, I'll be walking around with my Rick Steves in September. ;)

Archived