Anyone NOT tip extra above the daily service fee?

jennynoel

[quote name='schoolinmy3']Our family of 5 is tipping $55 per day for a 12 day cruise. And I can't imagine what our 10 yo daughter is going to do that would warrant the $11 per day. The boys, well maybe, depending on how they keep their room :D but my daughter there is no way.
diane[/quote]
Agreed, but I'm assuming you're taking up more than 1 room... so even still, you're only raising the per room average from $22 to $27. But I feel your pain. ;-)

[quote name='photomikey']..................
This will catch some grief from those on this board, but IMHO it sums up the behaviors of the vast majority on board.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No need to duck, but how do you know that last statement to be accurate? I personally have no clue what the percentages are of those pax who stick with the $11 pp per day, those who remove that "service charge" entirely, those who tip over and beyond or any other potential combinations[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No need to duck, but how do you know that last statement to be accurate? I personally have no clue what the percentages are of those pax who stick with the $11 pp per day, those who remove that "service charge" entirely, those who tip over and beyond or any other potential combinations[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
My only source comes from sitting in the Pinnacle and noticing how many people tip there (I have never, ever seen someone leave a cash tip there), as opposed to how many people here claim to tip at the pinnacle (virtually everyone).

From there, I extrapolate.

[quote name='photomikey']My only source comes from sitting in the Pinnacle and noticing how many people tip there (I have never, ever seen someone leave a cash tip there), as opposed to how many people here claim to tip at the pinnacle (virtually everyone).

From there, I extrapolate.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Thanks for 'splainin'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT];)

[quote name='photomikey']I don't generally (or, at least, haven't yet) tip at the add'l fee restaurant, even when I get great food and great service, because in my view, the add'l fee is paying for the great food and great service.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Your view is only half right on this part. The additional fee is paying for the great food, but none of it goes to the stewards who are providing the great service. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]They do, however, receive a portion of the $11 per day service charge. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Your view is only half right on this part. The additional fee is paying for the great food, but none of it goes to the stewards who are providing the great service. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]They do, however, receive a portion of the $11 per day service charge. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
So they make the same base pay as the waiters in the regular dining room?!? That's not what I understood previously.

[quote name='photomikey']My only source comes from sitting in the Pinnacle and noticing how many people tip there (I have never, ever seen someone leave a cash tip there), ....[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I pretty certain that you'll "never, ever" see me leave a cash tip in the Pinnacle, but that doesn't mean I haven't left one. It only means that you didn't see it. Sometimes it's left in an inconspicuous manner. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='photomikey']So they make the same base pay as the waiters in the regular dining room?!? That's not what I understood previously.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I don't know anything about the "base pay" of the stewards in either location. I do know that the stewards in both the dining room, and in the Pinnacle, receive a portion of the service charge. I also understand that they do not get the same portion. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='schoolinmy3']Our family of 5 is tipping $55 per day for a 12 day cruise. And I can't imagine what our 10 yo daughter is going to do that would warrant the $11 per day. The boys, well maybe, depending on how they keep their room :D but my daughter there is no way.
diane[/QUOTE]

We have cruised with our 3 children since they were very young and I never thought we should not pay the service charge for them. They use sheets, towels, get served in the dining rooms, and I think are treated with a bit more care than the adults. If they did not need the same services as an adult I might think differently, but I prefer that my children eat at the table and sleep in a bed. JMO Cherie

[quote name='photomikey']My only source comes from sitting in the Pinnacle and noticing how many people tip there (I have never, ever seen someone leave a cash tip there), as opposed to how many people here claim to tip at the pinnacle (virtually everyone).

From there, I extrapolate.[/quote]

As another poster said, just because no one saw us leave one doesn't mean we didn't! A gratuity for the dining steward in the Pinnacle can be added on to the check presented at the end of the meal, or handed to the steward along with the signed receipt, and who would know what one did or didn't "tip"?? ;) DH carries folding money in the front pocket of his jacket and is quite discreet in placing it in the steward's hand without even me seeing it - let alone another dining patron. :)

[quote name='luvs2travl']A gratuity for the dining steward in the Pinnacle can be added on to the check presented at the end of the meal[/quote]
This has never been the case when I have dined in the Pinnacle. This is part of my reasoning for not tipping above the service charge.
[quote name='luvs2travl']or handed to the steward along with the signed receipt, and who would know what one did or didn't "tip"?? DH carries folding money in the front pocket of his jacket and is quite discreet in placing it in the steward's hand without even me seeing it - let alone another dining patron.[/quote]
Perhaps you're right. Despite seeing tips in land-based restaurants every day, maybe at sea the same people turn sly, hiding their generosity at sea.

Or perhaps most people don't tip above the service charge.

Are you familiar with Occam's razor?

[quote name='luvs2travl']............... DH carries folding money in the front pocket of his jacket and is quite discreet in placing it in the steward's hand without even me seeing it - let alone another dining patron. :)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Aha, the old "secret" handshake trick! Generals, Command Sergeant Majors, etc. in the military are pretty savy at that and when you open your hand afterwards, you've got a challenge coin laying in it. How did that get there?;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Aha, the old "secret" handshake trick! Generals, Command Sergeant Majors, etc. in the military are pretty savy at that and when you open your hand afterwards, you've got a challenge coin laying in it. How did that get there?;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]You made me go read about Challenge Coins on wikipedia. (I was never in the military.) Very interesting tradition! :)

[quote name='jtl513']You made me go read about Challenge Coins on wikipedia. (I was never in the military.) Very interesting tradition! :)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Yup, and don't get caught in a bar without your unit's coin when someone "challenges" you for same;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I always bring an envelope with single $ bills to tip the room service staff. Usually about $50 or so. I generally give $2 to them unless its dinner and a larger amount of food. I like the idea above of using $2 bills. I'll try to get some at the bank this weekend as I'm leaving for Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday. I usually give the room steward $20 when I leave the ship. And that's about it for me.

CowPrincess.....are you still sailing on the Island Princess on April 19th. You seemed to have left the roll call and folks were wondering if their still going a tour of Cartegena with you?

Thanks.

[quote name='luvs2travl']A gratuity for the dining steward in the Pinnacle can be added on to the check presented at the end of the meal, ...[/quote]No, it can't. Never when we've dined at a PG anyway. Perhaps you're thinking of a specialty restaurant on another line?

Oops! I also tip in any specialty restaurant on any ship. I've never had bad service in a specialty restaurant. I've not always thought the food was great, but that's not the waiter's fault. I think the Pinnacle is the best specialty restaurant of all I've tried.

Thanks

We tipped the room steward and Retreat Cabana (Eurodam) stewards. However, we did not tip the waiter beyond the normal service fee since we had run after him every time we wanted a water refill, etc. We were at the end of his station and he seemed to always forget about us. Too busy looking after the 8 tops to service a 2.

[quote name='cccole']We have cruised with our 3 children since they were very young and I never thought we should not pay the service charge for them. They use sheets, towels, get served in the dining rooms, and I think are treated with a bit more care than the adults. If they did not need the same services as an adult I might think differently, but I prefer that my children eat at the table and sleep in a bed. JMO Cherie[/quote]

While I understand that, I do not think my 10 yo would by herself accumulate the charges that an adult who uses all of the ship's services will. I don't know exactly all of the activities that the hotel service charge covers but except for getting her bed ready I don't see where else she would accumulate tips. We will eat at the dining room once, maybe twice at the most on 10 days. On our last cruise we only ate once in the dining room. I am not complaining, mind you, as I believe that they provide excellent service on HAL. I am just remarking that her $11 per day, especially since she is a 3rd passenger in a room, is generous. But then maybe I am missing something. :rolleyes: Again, I want to stress this is not a complaint, merely an observation. I believe the stewards and other staff more than deserve the tips for their excellent service ;)
diane

[quote name='catl331']No, it can't. Never when we've dined at a PG anyway. Perhaps you're thinking of a specialty restaurant on another line?[/quote]

No - right venue, wrong ticket! DH said it was on the bar tab in which he wrote in his gratuity rather than on the restaurant check. Even tho' there is an added 15%, DH requested one of his favorite after-dinner drinks (called a Leprachaun ) which the bar-tender had been kind enough to make for him on more than one dining occasion. Thought he deserved lagniappe for his kindness - the bartender even remembered the recipe.

The dining steward was tipped in cash, tho' we did not make a spectacle of doing so.

What about if you use the laundry service? We are in a room that provides free laundry service. We do plan on utilizing it. I have never cruised before and I'm wondering what is standard for tipping for laundry.

[quote name='Moomduck1']What about if you use the laundry service? We are in a room that provides free laundry service. We do plan on utilizing it. I have never cruised before and I'm wondering what is standard for tipping for laundry.[/quote]

You don't need to tip for laundry service. Actually, the laundry staff are already included in the $11 per person per day gratuity that is charged to your cabin. Most of the time, the laundry is delivered to your room while you're not in it, anyway.

That $11 gratuity covers a lot of crew who work behind the scenes.

[quote name='NorthPhoenixGuy'] >SNIP<

CowPrincess.....are you still sailing on the Island Princess on April 19th. You seemed to have left the roll call and folks were wondering if their still going a tour of Cartegena with you?

Thanks.[/quote]

I was never booked on that cruise, and didn't sign up for the Roll Call, though I would LOVE to tour Cartegena sometime :) Off to look at the RC, and see if someone is impersonating me!

[quote name='Moomduck1']What about if you use the laundry service? We are in a room that provides free laundry service. We do plan on utilizing it. I have never cruised before and I'm wondering what is standard for tipping for laundry.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You'll never see the laundry guys! Their domain is located deep in the bowels of the ship;) (See MAM's answer)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived