All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Cruise Envy, I always do the spa. Massages are great! They are slightly less $$$ on port days, and if you go alot they will discount each time. I have also taken showers in the spa and used the steamroom. We were on the Fantasy last month and they did not have comedy brunch in MDR. You have to use the drink coupon in the MDR for breakfast or lunch:confused: Oh yeah MDR (Celibration) is only opened for lunch on "sea days". :pPink:p

I LOVE the Celebration dining room. I have been in both (Jubilee and Celebration), but just enjoy the experience in the Celebration one much better. The last time I was on the Fantasy, ATD was in the Celebration Dining Room. I hope it is still the same when I cruise in December.

Kari,

Did they charge you to leave your car during the duration of your cruise?

No charge to keep the car parked in their lot while we cruised. Honestly, I definitely would stay there again. Clean and a nice area. Not far to the port and there were a few restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance (although we drove).

One last thing about booking the Best Western Patriot's Point Mt. Pleasant. I booked online and used their internet rate which was $10 cheaper than the best available rate. It was $89 for 2 queen beds, free breakfast and free parking. We stayed on a Sunday night. If you only need one bed it's even less.

I stopped in at the Hampton Inn & Suites in West Ashley on my way home from work. Just a note to you guys that end up staying there; it can be a little confusing to get to. You have to turn down Ashley Town Center Drive and then make a right onto Citadel Haven Drive (behind the Toyota Dealership) So you actually enter the property from the back and will drive around to the front from there.

The front desk clerk was very friendly and said that I could take some pics of the property. (It's always nice to ask )

Thanks Nancy. That was very nice of you to do that for us. The hotel looks great. I'm sure it will be fine.

Cruise Envy, I always do the spa. Massages are great! They are slightly less $$$ on port days, and if you go alot they will discount each time. I have also taken showers in the spa and used the steamroom. We were on the Fantasy last month and they did not have comedy brunch in MDR. You have to use the drink coupon in the MDR for breakfast or lunch:confused: Oh yeah MDR (Celibration) is only opened for lunch on "sea days". :pPink:p

Oh darn. I guess I'll have to have that free dacquiri for lunch on a sea day. The things I must suffer through for the cause! :D

I am STILL debating about a hotel. Keep going back and forth between that Hampton (looks nice, thanks for the photos!) and the Hyatt Place Convention Center.

I really only need a shuttle to the pier. DD won't need it at all 5 days later since my friend can pick them up on her way into town and take us all back when we disembark.

But the Hampton is a little cheaper and a little more convenient (I think).

Re: ATD - does anyone who has sailed recently and had ATD have names of favorite servers? I'm giving it a try for Leg 1 while solo, just for something a little different.

Oh, I must make final payment today for Leg 2! I keep forgetting that the later portion is due before Leg 1 because it's 5 days, then 7.

Yes, they offer specials. In 2010 I did a mani/pedi combo for $99. Last summer I did a Pick 3 Massage Special for $99.

Does anyone know if the Punchliner Comedy Brunch has made it to the Fantasy? I just booked a 5 day at the end of September, and I haven't seen her in a year.

Thanks for the info! I have a late excursion planned for Nassau, so hopefully I can get a port day special there or something!

Be sure to fill out the slips for the Spa drawings. They end up almost always being during sailaway, and you have to be present to win. After a few cruises (and depending on the weather), I now usually go to the drawing.

Of course I never actually WIN anything, though! :o

On Victory, though, I did find a slip in my cabin one day that I'd won a "second chance drawing" and could get a facial for $49. I think the regular price was $119 at that time! That itinerary was a port-a-day, and we were out taking island tours every single day, so although we didn't "do" activity excursions, we were beat by the end of the week.

When we boarded on the last day after touring St Kitts, the spa girls were handing out discount vouchers. So we went straight to the cabin, called and made appointments for facials. First time I ever went to the spa on board. I think hers was $69, so both were significant discounts. No big pressure to buy products, either.

Now, I usually wait and get the $99 package - something like pick 2 (of 5 or 6 options) and get the mini massage and mini facial. The facial feels great after several days in the sun, wind and salt water!

i booked the Sheraton in N. Charleston for $65 through priceline. Choose n. Charleston/colliseum area, bid on 3 1/2 star and u will more than likely get the Sheraton.

We stayed there for our April cruise and it was very nice. I was concerned due to some bad reviews in the past end ended up stressing over nothing. Very nice indoor/outdoor pool, Right by outlet mall. Outlet also has a Walmart for last minute shopping and the best Golden Corral buffet I've ever been to! I contacted the hotel last time and they gave us connecting rooms which worked out great.

About 10 minutes from downtown.

Last time we asked if we could leave our car and they said that was fine but we ended up driving to the port. I don't like having to wait on shuttles, etc.

i booked the Sheraton in N. Charleston for $65 through priceline. Choose n. Charleston/colliseum area, bid on 3 1/2 star and u will more than likely get the Sheraton.

We stayed there for our April cruise and it was very nice. I was concerned due to some bad reviews in the past end ended up stressing over nothing. Very nice indoor/outdoor pool, Right by outlet mall. Outlet also has a Walmart for last minute shopping and the best Golden Corral buffet I've ever been to! I contacted the hotel last time and they gave us connecting rooms which worked out great.

About 10 minutes from downtown.

Last time we asked if we could leave our car and they said that was fine but we ended up driving to the port. I don't like having to wait on shuttles, etc.

This area is not a really great area so I would suggest to use caution and just be aware of your surroundings. If you dont have a vehicle (say for instance you flew in) then I would recommend taking transportation to restaurants and such. Walking is not advised.

we drove. Drove to outlet mall, drove back to hotel, no issues. We don't stay out late since we have a toddler.

I don't think any of the Charleston (or most cities) Areas should be walked

unless you are in downtown Historic Charleston.

Most 3 1/2 or 4 star hotels have shuttles if you didn't bring your car. Since I needed 2 rooms I just can't see myself spend $$250 - a $400 to stay downtown or in Mount Pleasant.

we drove. Drove to outlet mall, drove back to hotel, no issues. We don't stay out late since we have a toddler.

I don't think any of the Charleston (or most cities) Areas should be walked

unless you are in downtown Historic Charleston.

Most 3 1/2 or 4 star hotels have shuttles if you didn't bring your car. Since I needed 2 rooms I just can't see myself spend $$250 - a $400 to stay downtown or in Mount Pleasant.

Good ideas all... We who live kinda want to caution because a lot of the metropolitan area is "habitable" yet certain section be a bit dangerous. It is what it is and hopefully we help.

Edited by bobsfamily

Some areas of North Charleston are getting cleaned up and there are some hotels that have been popping up in the area of Tanger Outlet that are very safe.

Most of the hotels on Rivers Ave and Dorchester Rd are very sketchy.

There are some hotels in the West Ashley area that are reasonably priced ($89.00 and up) but then again, some areas there can be sketchy as well.

I guess what I am saying is that growing up here I really know the area. I just want people to know what advice a local would give. I will actually go and check out hotels for folks on here when an interest is shown. Just for fun. :)

By the way, I noticed that you are from the Augusta area. I have to say that the Burn Center in Augusta is one of the finest. My DBF was life flighted there after our home caught on fire January of 2011. They do amazing work there.

the last 2 times my mom and I cruised we stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Mt. Pleasant. It may not be a high end hotel but it was very clean and we had no issues. We drive down the night b4 and leave my car there (it is parked right out front of the lobby). the cost of the park and cruise is only a few dollars more than what I would pay for parking at the port for 7 days. We will be staying there again this time (in December).

By the way, I noticed that you are from the Augusta area. I have to say that the Burn Center in Augusta is one of the finest. My DBF was life flighted there after our home caught on fire January of 2011. They do amazing work there.

I hope I didn't come across wrong with my reply. Definately didn't mean to! I've stayed in West Ashley before for a week with my sister some suites down on 17. It was a good location. I like to go to the outlet mall pre-cruise so I like staying close. Always go to Stride right get granddaughter shoes. She has wide feet and this is one of the few places we can find her shoes. You are right, wouldn't walk around. Once my DH stopped at a gas station I think it was on Ashley Fosfate rd or something and I did not feel safe. I sure locked the doors while I was waiting in the car and kept my eyes out.

I think it is awesome that you use your personal time to check out hotels for CC members.

The Burn Center is amazing. I hope tyou DBF is ok now. And so sorry to hear about your house fire. I have a friend that has a rare desease where she has to get surgery and skin grafts often and they are great. She suffers so much but knowing the docs care so much and fight with the insurance for her is awesome.

This is also where Amy Copeland was treated. The Georgia girl with the flesh eating desease.

Sonwhat area do you live at? At one point we were thinking of relocating to Charleston but you can definately can get more house for the money here. We just moved to Graniteville, closer to my job in Aiken.

I hope I didn't come across wrong with my reply. Definately didn't mean to! I've stayed in West Ashley before for a week with my sister some suites down on 17. It was a good location. I like to go to the outlet mall pre-cruise so I like staying close. Always go to Stride right get granddaughter shoes. She has wide feet and this is one of the few places we can find her shoes. You are right, wouldn't walk around. Once my DH stopped at a gas station I think it was on Ashley Fosfate rd or something and I did not feel safe. I sure locked the doors while I was waiting in the car and kept my eyes out.

I think it is awesome that you use your personal time to check out hotels for CC members.

The Burn Center is amazing. I hope tyou DBF is ok now. And so sorry to hear about your house fire. I have a friend that has a rare desease where she has to get surgery and skin grafts often and they are great. She suffers so much but knowing the docs care so much and fight with the insurance for her is awesome.

This is also where Amy Copeland was treated. The Georgia girl with the flesh eating desease.

Sonwhat area do you live at? At one point we were thinking of relocating to Charleston but you can definately can get more house for the money here. We just moved to Graniteville, closer to my job in Aiken.

You didnt come across the wrong way. Just making sure everyone knows that some areas are better than others.:)

DBF has healed up so well that to look at him you would not know that he had been burned so badly. He was burned on his face, hands, arms and ankles. I stayed at the Chavis Center while he was being treated. He is physically fine but has some PTSD. We didnt have insurance on the house (or for him for that matter) since the house was paid for. Now we just have that piece of property.

But, I was able to purchase a home myself through the USDA out in Hollywood just south of Charleston.

Sorry to ramble guys. Back to Fantasy talk. If anyone wants me to check out more hotels/motels/notells :p just let me know. I am back to work tomorrow in Mt. Pleasant so anything Mt. Pleasant, Downtown Charleston or West Ashley I can stop at.

We are leaving next Monday for Charleston and then the Bahamas! We will be staying at the Quality Inn in Mount Pleasant, which I hear is a nice area. We are thinking of getting there on Monday and checking in at the hotel, then going to the Maritime museum to tour the Yorktown.

Has anyone ever done this tour? Is it worthwhile? Can you actually tour the little submarine that is there too? Is it within walking distance of the hotel? I thought we could drive, but if it is a nice walk, that would be even better.

After we do the tour, we are planning to go back to the hotel to clean up, head over to Charleston, walk around and find a good place to eat...but not too expensive.

Are there plenty of parking garages in the Historic district? Do they cost, and how much? Where would you recommend we eat?

Sorry for the many questions. I usually plan a cruise a year out, so I am panicking as I try to cram a year of research into a week. :rolleyes: I think we are all set in the Bahamas...Sheraton resort at Nassau and Deadman's Reef at Freeport.

Thanks all.

Way back when DD was small (early 1990s probably), long before we started cruising, we did a vacation in Charleston. As soon as I told DD we were switching our cruise to Charleston, she wanted to know if she'd be able to take a carriage ride. See what sticks in a small girl's head? Horses! :D

Anyway, we went to the Maritime Museum. I'm pretty sure we toured the sub, too. I was a bit claustrophobic so didn't stay long.

There was also some old passenger ship there. Maybe a very old cruise ship? It was very small, and there was absolutely NO ONE on it or around. It was really rather spooky.

Plenty of parking garages, that I recall, although last time there, I parked along the Waterfront Park. It's a beautiful area to stroll around. Had a very late lunch (cheaper prices) at Fleet Landing (it's right next to the pier - after you board, you'll see the patio just off the bow). Shrimp and Grits, baby! And good organic beer.

We are leaving next Monday for Charleston and then the Bahamas! We will be staying at the Quality Inn in Mount Pleasant, which I hear is a nice area. We are thinking of getting there on Monday and checking in at the hotel, then going to the Maritime museum to tour the Yorktown.

Has anyone ever done this tour? Is it worthwhile? Can you actually tour the little submarine that is there too? Is it within walking distance of the hotel? I thought we could drive, but if it is a nice walk, that would be even better.

After we do the tour, we are planning to go back to the hotel to clean up, head over to Charleston, walk around and find a good place to eat...but not too expensive.

Are there plenty of parking garages in the Historic district? Do they cost, and how much? Where would you recommend we eat?

Sorry for the many questions. I usually plan a cruise a year out, so I am panicking as I try to cram a year of research into a week. :rolleyes: I think we are all set in the Bahamas...Sheraton resort at Nassau and Deadman's Reef at Freeport.

Thanks all.

We stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites Patriot point in '07 before a cruise. It was indeed in a nice area and very convenient, right at the end of the bridge.

It was a pretty decent place to stay as well, nice size room, clean and they had a better than average breakfast at the time. The staff, especially the breakfast lady were all very warm and welcoming.

If this place is still as good, we will consider it before our cruise in March.

We stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites Patriot point in '07 before a cruise. It was indeed in a nice area and very convenient, right at the end of the bridge.

It was a pretty decent place to stay as well, nice size room, clean and they had a better than average breakfast at the time. The staff, especially the breakfast lady were all very warm and welcoming.

If this place is still as good, we will consider it before our cruise in March.

Thank you. I will let you know what it is like now. From what I hear, they still have a very good breakfast included. It was not too expensive either. We are parking at the pier, so we can get right to the car and head back to Virginia Beach, but they do offer a park and cruise pkg.

Way back when DD was small (early 1990s probably), long before we started cruising, we did a vacation in Charleston. As soon as I told DD we were switching our cruise to Charleston, she wanted to know if she'd be able to take a carriage ride. See what sticks in a small girl's head? Horses! :D

Anyway, we went to the Maritime Museum. I'm pretty sure we toured the sub, too. I was a bit claustrophobic so didn't stay long.

There was also some old passenger ship there. Maybe a very old cruise ship? It was very small, and there was absolutely NO ONE on it or around. It was really rather spooky.

Plenty of parking garages, that I recall, although last time there, I parked along the Waterfront Park. It's a beautiful area to stroll around. Had a very late lunch (cheaper prices) at Fleet Landing (it's right next to the pier - after you board, you'll see the patio just off the bow). Shrimp and Grits, baby! And good organic beer.

Thank you for this information. I also wanted to do a carriage ride, but I have all boys, and they are much more interested in the Maritime Museum. I think a walking tour will suffice though, as long as they let me stroll along and explore. :)