All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

We are leaving next Monday for Charleston and then the Bahamas! We will be staying at the Quality Inn in Mount Pleasant, which I hear is a nice area. We are thinking of getting there on Monday and checking in at the hotel, then going to the Maritime museum to tour the Yorktown.

Has anyone ever done this tour? Is it worthwhile? Can you actually tour the little submarine that is there too? Is it within walking distance of the hotel? I thought we could drive, but if it is a nice walk, that would be even better.

I have done this tour in the past and the Yorktown itself is just amazing. I believe you can still tour the submarine, the USS Clamagore. I know that you could back in 2009. You may want to call ahead of time to be sure. In looking at the map, it is within walking distance if you are used to walking more than a block or two. It may be hot so bring some water with you. You will also be on the pedestrian side of the Ravenel bridge so if you get up on the morning of the cruise you could walk up the bridge and get a pretty neat view of the Fantasy.

After we do the tour, we are planning to go back to the hotel to clean up, head over to Charleston, walk around and find a good place to eat...but not too expensive.

Are there plenty of parking garages in the Historic district? Do they cost, and how much? Where would you recommend we eat?

There are several parking garages in the historic district. Probably your best bet are one of the ones located on East Bay Street. 00That way you can check out the Market, Rainbow Row, the Battery and perhaps take a carriage tour. Here are rates for the Cumberland Street Parking Garage:

Rates:

1st half hour: $1.00

2nd half hour: $1.00

Each additional hour: $1.00

Daily max: $10.00

Monthly rate: $110.

I would suggest taking the carriage tour first so you can get your bearings and then "go it on your own". Carriage rides can be found in the Market area. All of them take off from there.

As far as food goes, it is relatively expensive to eat downtown. However, I do recommend Fleet Landing.

Over on the Mt. Pleasant side, I recommend Page's Okra Grill. Their menu is reasonably priced and not far from where you will be staying.

I may stop by the hotel to check it out on my way home today. That is one I havent checked out yet.

Thanks all.

Answers in PURPLE above. :)

What's your thoughts on the Shem Creek inn? That was my other choice but it was $89 per room + taxes, so probaby close to $220 or so for 2 rooms.

That was going to be my other choice if I was unable to get a good deal in North Charleston for 3 1/2 or 4 star. I figured if we would stay there then I would spend more money on lunch and dinner for 4 as well if we walk over to one of the shem creek restaurants. Might be an option for next visit to Charleston though. We are only 2 1/2 hrs away and I love Charleston.

What's your thoughts on the Shem Creek inn? That was my other choice but it was $89 per room + taxes, so probaby close to $220 or so for 2 rooms.

That was going to be my other choice if I was unable to get a good deal in North Charleston for 3 1/2 or 4 star. I figured if we would stay there then I would spend more money on lunch and dinner for 4 as well if we walk over to one of the shem creek restaurants. Might be an option for next visit to Charleston though. We are only 2 1/2 hrs away and I love Charleston.

The Shem Creek Inn is pretty nice and in a very safe area. I havent really seen inside so I can make that a stop on my lunch break. It is about a 2 minute drive from where I work.

The restaurants there are soooo tasty. Vickery's is my favorite. The sunset views are just stunning.

I will report back after my lunchy break! :D

The Shem Creek Inn is pretty nice and in a very safe area. I havent really seen inside so I can make that a stop on my lunch break. It is about a 2 minute drive from where I work.

The restaurants there are soooo tasty. Vickery's is my favorite. The sunset views are just stunning.

I will report back after my lunchy break! :D

And I had to eat from the Pig on Savannah Hwy:(.... I guess I will have to go over to Shem Creek soon and get some lunch!

Personally I agree with All and would suggest Mount Pleasant over anything in North Charleston and most of West Ashley - also Goose Creek/Summerville/Moncks Corner but not for the same reasons... it would be because of distance. North Charleston and West Ashley have some real nice parts but also some horrid parts. If you don't know you can be in for a shock. All, myself and others from Chas. really want to make sure you have a safe enjoyable trip.

Is the Hampton Inn West Ashley in one of the OK areas over there?

Since I still haven't booked rooms, maybe I'll go back and revisit the ones around Patriots Point/Mt Pleasant.

If heading home west on I-26, would it make any difference once we're off the ship? I mean, I-526 is in both directions. And we return on a Saturday morning. I can't imagine the traffic will be all that bad.

Since I still haven't booked rooms, maybe I'll go back and revisit the ones around Patriots Point/Mt Pleasant.

If heading home west on I-26, would it make any difference once we're off the ship? I mean, I-526 is in both directions. And we return on a Saturday morning. I can't imagine the traffic will be all that bad.

Traffic shouldn't be bad leaving once you get on I-26. Downtown Charleston could be a little tricky and crowded with traffic coming in and leaving at the same time. But...once you get on the interstate, you should be okay.

I don't know about the Hampton Inn but we are staying at Best Western @ Patriots Point. The price really couldn't be beat for being that close, plus i can leave my car there for the week. They don't have a shuttle but the person i spoke to said they did call a cab for you.

Edited by jovifan78

I don't know about the Hampton Inn but we are staying at Best Western @ Patriots Point. The price really couldn't be beat for being that close, plus i can leave my car there for the week. They don't have a shuttle but the person i spoke to said they did call a cab for you.

Best Western @ Patriots Point is a good hotel. I have stayed there several times. We had stayed there when my youngest was having medical issues and was at MUSC plus stayed there on 1st cruise. They do call a cab.

Since the 1st cruise moved over across the street to the Rodeway (we have never had any issues with the hotel or rooms) and the rate is cheaper plus they do pay for the transportation to the port.

Best Western @ Patriots Point is a good hotel. I have stayed there several times. We had stayed there when my youngest was having medical issues and was at MUSC plus stayed there on 1st cruise. They do call a cab.

Since the 1st cruise moved over across the street to the Rodeway (we have never had any issues with the hotel or rooms) and the rate is cheaper plus they do pay for the transportation to the port.

Really? I might go check into that one then. Any money saved means more money for the slot machine. lol

Our experience has been to get there between 11 and 11:15 (if driving, that is) and get near the front of the wait line. They seemed regularly to get the car line started through the process at about 11:30.

Kathy

P.S. I love B2B cruises. Will have to try one on the Fantasy. It's so convenient for us - 5 hours to the port, timeshare about a block from the pier, and free parking at the port since DH is handicapped.:)

Thanks for the info on the free parking we have a handicap placard for my DH and I did not know the parking was free. I have been looking into Stay and Cruise packages this week, so its a nice bit of info.

It's too late for me to change since I used priceline so no rush. I think they let you leave your car too if others are interested. I love the area!

Thanks! :D We have time (not cruising until April) but I'm trying to decide if we should drive down the night before or the morning of. If we drive down morning of we will park at the port, but if we get a hotel, I don't want to have to pay for the hotel PLUS parking at the port. Yes, I'm cheap like that! :o

Thanks for the info on the free parking we have a handicap placard for my DH and I did not know the parking was free. I have been looking into Stay and Cruise packages this week, so its a nice bit of info.

Glad to help. Nice savings. I remember how glad I was when I first learned. I believe Miami is the only other port that offers free parking for handicapped passengers, but I could be wrong about that.

Kathy

Thinking of the Hampton Inn Nort Charleston cruise package for my january 14 cruise.

Safe area ?

It is in an ok area. It is sort of off all by itself though. You definitely would need to drive to get anywhere. There is a mall close by and a Hooters! :p;) Lots of decent restaurants too.

If you are leaving your vehicle for the duration of the trip you should be fine. I just wouldnt do any walking in the area of Ashley Phosphate Rd or Rivers Ave.

Here are some pics that I took this morning at the Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant. It is right at the base of the bridge on the Coleman Blvd side. Very convenient to the Yorktown and perfect location to walk the pedestrian side of the bridge. There is a nifty little park under the Ravenel Bridge so check that out as well.

Front of hotel. All interior access.

8ADF826F.jpg

Front desk area is to your left and to your right is a seating area. There are stairs that lead up to the breakfast area to your right. You can see the upstairs.

A86A208A.jpg

I went upstairs and breakfast was in full swing. I smelled sausage!

DC1AFB12.jpg

Cereal and fruit! There was coffee and juice machine too.

EA15E230.jpg

The pool area

72509EC9.jpg

I am headed over on my lunch break to check out the Shem Creek Inn since I didnt make it there yesterday.

Shem Creek Inn, Mt. Pleasant,SC

What a nifty place! When you pull in there is parking underneath the hotel and in the parking lot outside it. Make sure you park in the area that is designated for the hotel. There are several restaurants in the area and all signs say "towing enforced". Once you park your car you walk underneath the hotel and there is an elevator to your left. The elevator will drop you off in the lobby.

Here is the front of the hotel. It sorta has a beach house type feel to it. Brought me back to the days when my Aunt would rent beach houses during the summer.

FAC5E61E.jpg

Lobby Area. Continental breakfast...not a full breakfast. But they have grits and oatmeal.

D5E759B4.jpg

Here is the pool. It overlooks Shem Creek and you can watch the shenannigans from the pool that occur at Red's Ice House!

5B25994E.jpg

And finally....I was able to check out a room! This room is marsh-side (or parking lot side...lol) There are rooms on the shem creek side which are more expensive just because of the view but they are the same.

C8D7C317.jpg

I really like this hotel and it is right next to Vickery's which is one of my favorite places to eat. I hope this helps!

Looks great! Now i kind of wish i wouldn't have jumped the gun with priceline :-(. Now all we need is for you to go test the beds for us! Lol. I have major back issues so a good bed is something I always worry about. I am actually considering buying a self inflatable matress topper i saw on Amazon. It is for campers and folds up to a 1 liter bottle of coke size. Last April when we sailed the Fantasy the beds were very hard for me. DH was fine. Room stewart said they didn't have an eggcrate for the bed so i ended up putting the extra duvet under the top sheet. It helped a little but not enough . So i email special needs dept at Carnival to get a matress topper. I haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have a travel matress topper or something they used?

Looks great! Now i kind of wish i wouldn't have jumped the gun with priceline :-(. Now all we need is for you to go test the beds for us! Lol. I have major back issues so a good bed is something I always worry about. I am actually considering buying a self inflatable matress topper i saw on Amazon. It is for campers and folds up to a 1 liter bottle of coke size. Last April when we sailed the Fantasy the beds were very hard for me. DH was fine. Room stewart said they didn't have an eggcrate for the bed so i ended up putting the extra duvet under the top sheet. It helped a little but not enough . So i email special needs dept at Carnival to get a matress topper. I haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have a travel matress topper or something they used?

Official bed tester! Sign me up!

I have a friend that brings a topper for her bed but it is memory foam and very bulky. They sell those mattress toppers at walmart (i got one for my son) and they are quite comfy. You could probably put one in your checked luggage. They fold small enough for a rolling carry on.

Here are some pics that I took this morning at the Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant. It is right at the base of the bridge on the Coleman Blvd side. Very convenient to the Yorktown and perfect location to walk the pedestrian side of the bridge. There is a nifty little park under the Ravenel Bridge so check that out as well.

Front of hotel. All interior access.

8ADF826F.jpg

Front desk area is to your left and to your right is a seating area. There are stairs that lead up to the breakfast area to your right. You can see the upstairs.

A86A208A.jpg

I went upstairs and breakfast was in full swing. I smelled sausage!

DC1AFB12.jpg

Cereal and fruit! There was coffee and juice machine too.

EA15E230.jpg

The pool area

72509EC9.jpg

I am headed over on my lunch break to check out the Shem Creek Inn since I didnt make it there yesterday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am getting so excited.