Budget Queen, question about timing

LindaKE

BQ. in other posts you have empahsized that if the salmon are running, we'd see salmon ..... Also, I found your comment about the 3rd week of July being the first time the ships got all the way to Misty Fjord and saw the phrase "that season" which I had overlooked. We picked a cruise beginning July 23 for 2 reasons: 1) greater chance of getting to Sawyer Glacier, which I know is not guaranteed anytime, and 2) getting to see a salmon run in Ketchikan, Skagway, and/or Juneau. All other factors were pretty much the same for other dates. Now I'm wondering if there would be a better choice of time considering those 2 factors. At this point, it's not to late to change. I understand that there are no guarantees, but, if you were booking considering those 2 criteria only, what date would you choose?

Thanks!

The biggest problem with Tracy Arm, as you already know is access. Your bets are hedged with NCL and Princess which have the way superior add on ship tour. Another problem, is the substitution of Endicott Arm, and Dawes glacier. Way down my "scale" but you do get a glacier view.

With your current choice of ship, which I'll assume is fixed, you need to go with what you get. :) As for timing. I haven't hit the peaks of salmon running in July vs my August trips. I would ask locally their advice on the July viewing. You may be able to contact someone at the visitor centers by phone. Place a question, to Murray Yukon, Tee Harbor, Bearbait, since I'm assuming they are locals of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. They will have the salmon viewing information for you .

Someone asked for reports about decisions made as a result of advice received. Now I realize that I can't get into a floatplane for Misty Fjord, that I missed the all important words "that year" about timing for Tracy Arm, and that we probably wouldn't see a salmon run on the latest week we can go. Those were the factors we considered when choosing a date. Consequently we've decided to save $600 and go in early June rather than in the more costly later season. Thanks!

With that said, please Queen, could you tell me if our repositioning on Radiance is at a good time for whale watching and weather or is May 20th too early? There is still time to switch dates although the idea of seeing so much of our own West Coast on the way up and 12 days of cruising was our reason for choosing this cruise.

With that said, please Queen, could you tell me if our repositioning on Radiance is at a good time for whale watching and weather or is May 20th too early? There is still time to switch dates although the idea of seeing so much of our own West Coast on the way up and 12 days of cruising was our reason for choosing this cruise.

Nope not too early. And you have a chance of the end of the Humpback migration. If you are stopping in Oregon, Newport beach area has a large resident grey whale population.

IF you definately want the best chance to see humpbacks, then book a tour out of Juneau.

I usually go in September and take ORCA Enterprises whale watch. Last year we saw many, many humpbacks and several Orcas as well.

Ann

Archived