Chania

RTanner

Has anyone visited Chania on Crete? It looks as though our 2011 cruise has dropped Heraklion and changed to Chania and I can find little about the port? Any info will be appreciated.

I wish we were going there instead of Heraklion!! There is a travel guide starting on this page http://www.greecetravel.com/crete/chania/index.htm

WOW! Thanks, Freckles. That site told me about as much as I need to know. I'm kind of familiar with that section of Crete as I have flown in and out of Souda Bat a number of times but never had the opportunity to go much farther than the nearest city, Mouzouras, and that was only a brief handful of times. I don't think that was a typical Crete town.

Your suggested site is making me anxious to return.

WOW! Thanks, Freckles. That site told me about as much as I need to know. I'm kind of familiar with that section of Crete as I have flown in and out of Souda Bat a number of times but never had the opportunity to go much farther than the nearest city, Mouzouras, and that was only a brief handful of times. I don't think that was a typical Crete town.

Your suggested site is making me anxious to return.

I'm envious! I don't think we will have time to go to Chania - we are only in Heraklion for 5 hours - 7am-noon. It's the last port of a 14 day cruise so we may not bother to get off the ship, depends if we're "ruined" or have sore feet by then. :D

Have a great cruise. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to both and decided to spend a week in Chania as a base. It is by far the better choice of the two cities. The port city is beautiful and Chania would be a great stop to rent a car and tour that end of the Island. We will be going back to Crete next year and will again make Chania our base.

We have been to both and decided to spend a week in Chania as a base. It is by far the better choice of the two cities. The port city is beautiful and Chania would be a great stop to rent a car and tour that end of the Island. We will be going back to Crete next year and will again make Chania our base.

I think NCL Gem probably stops at Heraklion because it's closer to Knossos, and we only have 5 hours in port.:(

Archived