Flat Screen - why?

RCI is denying us flat screens to get us to book Celebrity!

Gotta be, no other answer....well maybe one....they also make sure that all those that complain about Diamond Plus stuff get the old style TV...You should see them scramble around before boarding begins to make sure the old TV's are in their cabins!

I really have no idea what you are talking about. It's up to the cruise line when to replace depreciated equipment.

Some pros and cons of each: CRTs have better color reproduction. LCDs use less energy, and generate less heat (which can make the A/C more efficient).

Jewel has flat panel TV's in the OS. But the remote is horrible, takes for ever to turn on/off. And the surround sound is worse, speakers are right on top of your neighbor's wall. Yes, I've been woken up in the morning by neighbor's TV's.

We watch a few minutes of news, check the ship's location, and look at our SeaPass account. Oh, and if the cruise is during the World Series or Super Bowl, DH likes his sports news!!

I recently debarked 'Rhapsody' in Hawaii (still here). Rooms had CRT's and when we boarded I checked the TV. The remote didn't work but not worried as I wasn't interested in watching TV...then.
Approx 5 days later I checked TV for SeaPass Account, couldn't find it so as I passed Customer Relations desk I asked whether or not it was available on the TV....she said "Not on this ship". I mentioned to the room steward that the remote wasn't working, he 'phoned someone from the room, followed some instructions from whoever he was talking to....and hey ho!...it worked. Only for half an hour though. At this stage I still wasn't bothered about watching TV....BUT...I became seriously ill and spent time in ICU then confined to room. It is at times such as this that it would have been good to have a Flat Panel as the picture on the CRT was terrible.
Otherwise I wouldn't be bothered about TV although I did enjoy the Cruise Director's Morning Show to see what I had missed during my confinement :D ....and what future events I would miss :(

[quote name='aruvqan']Ok, will not having a flat screen TV really ruin your cruise?

At home here, I have a flat screen TV, and I have the old school CRT TV. They get essentially exactly the same picture. In cabin 6300 on the Explorer, back on the Feb 5th cruise, we had a CRT TV, and it worked just fine.

Dudes, can you possibly explain to me what is so all fired important to replace a perfectly functional CRT with a flat screen TV? I admit I am fully baffled ... I have better things to do on my cruise than to worry about something that picayune [I would rather spend my time worrying about having enough room for that extra dessert][/quote]

I agree with you, when i am on vacation the last thing i want to be doing is watching reruns of the Honeymooners all day, which let me tell you look no different on a flat screen as compared to a CRT.

Archived