Flat Screen - why?

Ok, will not having a flat screen TV really ruin your cruise?

At home here, I have a flat screen TV, and I have the old school CRT TV. They get essentially exactly the same picture. In cabin 6300 on the Explorer, back on the Feb 5th cruise, we had a CRT TV, and it worked just fine.

Dudes, can you possibly explain to me what is so all fired important to replace a perfectly functional CRT with a flat screen TV? I admit I am fully baffled ... I have better things to do on my cruise than to worry about something that picayune [i would rather spend my time worrying about having enough room for that extra dessert]

1) If you new flat screen gets exactly the same picture as your old CRT, you got gypped by whoever sold you the flat screen.

2) Cabins are small. Flat screens take up less space. Enough said.

3) Ugly wallpaper is "just as good" as attractive walls. Doesn't mean people would prefer attractive walls over ugly wallpaper. Same with appliances. Appearances count.

Guess I haven't been on the boards much recently. Am I missing something? I thought flat screen was just Freedom and Oasis class and if you're on any ships in those classes, you get flat screen... everything else is a "regular" television.

People are complaining about televisions on a cruise? Really???

Tim

At home here, I have a flat screen TV, and I have the old school CRT TV. They get essentially exactly the same picture. In cabin 6300 on the Explorer, back on the Feb 5th cruise, we had a CRT TV, and it worked just fine.

Dudes, can you possibly explain to me what is so all fired important to replace a perfectly functional CRT with a flat screen TV? I admit I am fully baffled ... I have better things to do on my cruise than to worry about something that picayune [i would rather spend my time worrying about having enough room for that extra dessert]

"De Gustibus...."

One could just as easily ask, why it is important to you to know why someone else cares about the type of TV they will find in their stateroom? The fact is that they do and the reason is really immaterial.:rolleyes:

Ok, Dudes, can you possibly explain to me what is so all fired important to replace a perfectly functional CRT with a flat screen TV? I admit I am fully baffled ...

As far as what is in the cabins, I could'nt care less. I only turn it on because it's there. Now, why people are replacing TV's in their homes baffles me too. And I say this after buying a new home 6 months ago and buying 3 new flat screens, while our perfectly functional old TV's are sitting in the basement:eek:. I blame it all on my husband. Men and their teck toys:rolleyes:. But I must admit, they have beautiful pictures.

The older TVs look dated now, especially as they are no longer manufactured. Dated means the item in question looks old. Changing those TVs for the flat screens updates the look of the stateroom.

It is no different than changing the old floral or paisley bedspreads for the more current white duvet covers. The cruiselines don't want to have dated decor because it lowers the general impression for passengers just as a dated hotel decor or dated restaurant decor diminishes the experience.

1) If you new flat screen gets exactly the same picture as your old CRT, you got gypped by whoever sold you the flat screen.

2) Cabins are small. Flat screens take up less space. Enough said.

3) Ugly wallpaper is "just as good" as attractive walls. Doesn't mean people would prefer attractive walls over ugly wallpaper. Same with appliances. Appearances count.

I have an excellent quality CRT that was top of the line before flatscreens really made it into common purchase. The picture really is quite excellent.

The cabinets in the staterooms were designed and constructed for CRT TVs, schlepping a flatscreen in saves no space ... or at least in the cabin I had, the cabinetry was designed for and had a CRT TV installed [on a cute little slide out lazy susan sort of shelf so it could be easily watched from the loveseat]

We replaced all 4 of our old TV's with new flat screens last fall. They were doing the digital changeover and all 4 of them would have needed additional hardware with the new digital, we had also switched cable companies.

The last day of my mother's recent visit in the guest room, she said "That new TV is really nice, but you need to raise it up higher...so you can see it when you are lying in bed" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suggested that she put it on the comment card, and maybe maintenance will take care of it. :D

We've elevated that one now. And I don't care when we're watching someone else's TV on a cruise or elsewhere. But the new flat screens are reallly nice...they take up soooo much less room. :)

It doesn't matter to me either if I have a flat screen tv in my cabin. Last year on Explorer we had a flat screen, and I actually hated it.

It still takes up the same amount of space b/c it is on the designated lazy suzan in the cabinet, and when you pulled it out you couldn't see the picture very well when lying down. Plus it had these annoying tones that sounded every blasted time you turned it on or off. (Think this this was already discussed.) This February we had a plain old CRT in our cabin and it was much better to watch while relaxing in bed if you wanted to. JMO.

It doesn't matter to me either if I have a flat screen tv in my cabin. Last year on Explorer we had a flat screen, and I actually hated it.

It still takes up the same amount of space b/c it is on the designated lazy suzan in the cabinet, and when you pulled it out you couldn't see the picture very well when lying down. Plus it had these annoying tones that sounded every blasted time you turned it on or off. (Think this this was already discussed.) This February we had a plain old CRT in our cabin and it was much better to watch while relaxing in bed if you wanted to. JMO.

We had a weird problem with the flat screen on Radiance in November....you couldn't turn the stupid thing off. :mad: The first night, I just put a towel over it. :rolleyes: The second night it took about 15 minutes and some strange combination of buttons on the remote to make it shut off. I asked H why he hadn't shut it off, he said he couldn't figure out how....Mr. tech guy? :rolleyes:

EDIT: The on/off on the TV button didn't work to turn it off either. (I'm not that dumb and tried that first) :-)

We were on Majesty last month and our cabin had a flat panel TV mounted on the wall. The cabins on Majesty are the smallest in the fleet, 122 s.f. for our oceanview. The space that flat panel saved over the space a CRT would have needed was HUGE in that small cabin.

We watch a lot of TV on cruises. We watch it in the evening when we retire on to our cabin. Sometimes on sea days, we'll watch a movie. We have it on in the morning while we're getting ready to go out. We have it on the evening, while we're getting ready for dinner.

It was funny when we were sailing back from Hawaii, we were 2 days sailing back from the islands. I came out of the bathroom, and CNN was showing coverage of "Huge earthquake in Hawaii'. I said, "Our Hawaii?"

DH said, "There's only one Hawaii! "

To each his own...we like TV. We don't really care if we miss it, but we enjoy watching on our own schedule. :D:):D

We were on Majesty last month and our cabin had a flat panel TV mounted on the wall. The cabins on Majesty are the smallest in the fleet, 122 s.f. for our oceanview. The space that flat panel saved over the space a CRT would have needed was HUGE in that small cabin.

122 sq. ft is "Floor Space" in the stateroom... TV's are NOT on the floor and has nothing to do with any sq.footage space savings !

Personally, I only use it (TV) to watch a few minutes of news, check the ship's location, and look at my cabin charges. An old B&W Magnavox with a built in record player would be fine with me (except the space) - I'm not on a cruise to watch the tube. But the flat panels are new and bright and shiny. :D

From the cruise line's perspective, the flat panels do save some power, generate less heat, and are even a bit lighter, which mean less fuel needed to run the generators for TV's, A/C, and propulsion (likely very minor if any difference on this last one). I doubt it's a break-even payback, but it's enough to factor in. And during a refit, there really isn't a choice anymore.

From the cruise line's perspective, the flat panels do save some power, generate less heat, and are even a bit lighter, which mean less fuel needed to run the generators for TV's, A/C, and propulsion (likely very minor if any difference on this last one). I doubt it's a break-even payback, but it's enough to factor in. And during a refit, there really isn't a choice anymore.

All of the above plus they are monitors rather than TV's. And no mercury.

I have a valid reason why I want to know, but that's another thread...

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Navigator cabins have had their old CRT TVs upgraded to flat screen TVs? :p

I have no idea why it is important to some people but it is. It isn't going to effect my cruise if someone wants a flat screen tv in their cabin. We all find different things important on our vacations.

As far as what is in the cabins, I could'nt care less. I only turn it on because it's there. Now, why people are replacing TV's in their homes baffles me too. And I say this after buying a new home 6 months ago and buying 3 new flat screens, while our perfectly functional old TV's are sitting in the basement:eek:. I blame it all on my husband. Men and their teck toys:rolleyes:. But I must admit, they have beautiful pictures.

yep... and they even have "rabbit ears" !

You just don't understand. I can't tell you how much better it was and what a huge diffrence it made having that flat screen in my Promenaid cabin. It was like having an extra shelf. It takes up so little room and I was able to put all kinds of things next to and behind it. :eek:

Let's see:

1. There is nothing good to watch on any of their lousy channels.
  2. The rooms are so small why would I want to sit there and watch TV.
  3. I paid thousands of dollars for this cruise why in the heck do I want to waste my time watching senseless TV

Archived