Flat Screen - why?

Guess I haven't been on the boards much recently. Am I missing something? I thought flat screen was just Freedom and Oasis class and if you're on any ships in those classes, you get flat screen... everything else is a "regular" television.

People are complaining about televisions on a cruise? Really???

Tim

hey C4K

i spent alot of time in fayetteville, GA

i live in san diego now

im sure we dont know each other because im only 24 but i thought that was neat being that fayetteville isnt a big place

i heard it has grown alot though....and become a little violent

They were still CRT's on March 18.

Hey, thanks foureyedbuzzard! Finally got an answer to one of my questions asked elsewhere.

To the original poster of this thread (and to others who've placed replies here):

I have a Grand Suite on a TA cruise on NOTS next year and with all those days at sea, TV picture quality will be a bit more important (not all of it is lousy programming). When the clubs close, and the night is cloudy (I love astronomy) and I'm still wide awake, TV sure can come in handy. :)

I was wondering which TV type they had because I saw two different views reportedly from a Grand Suite on Navigator- one had the stock photo with the CRT set and the old beds and linens; the other had a photo showing a flat screen TV with the new linens that I suspected actually came from a Freedom Grand Suite.

I do have a personal preference for flat screen TVs. In my opinion, modern flat screens have a sharper, superior picture to the old CRTs. I also have vision problems that the picture clarity found in a flatscreen coupled to HD can really help me get past. Old fashioned CRT TVs just don't compare. Every flat screen TV I've had in a cabin has always been superior to those old CRTs!

Does this mean I am intending to spend all my time on this cruise watching TV? Certainly not... what a silly assumption that would be to make! But when I'm going to watch a TV, I'd like it to be the very best they (meaning RCI) offer, if possible.

Do I base my cruise on what sort of TV is in the cabin? Obviously not... If that was the case, I would have chosen Independence of the Seas or Celebrity Equinox. I just assumed that Navigator being as old as she is, probably had the old frumpy blurry CRT TVs... until I saw a picture with a flat screen TV in a Grand Suite purportedly from NOTS. So that beggered the question (amongst many RE Navigator) that I had. When I saw what I'm now guessing was a picture from Freedom (or one of her sisters) of a Grand Suite and presented as a Navigator Grand Suite, I thought, "Cool! They've done some major upgrades besides just linens and matresses!"

Hey, I'd take an old working CRT TV over a broken flatscreen TV in my cabin anyday! :D

Now, if they would just put a flatscreen TV in the wall over the Grand Suite bathtub as I've had in some nice hotel rooms (Red Rock Canyon Spa in Vegas comes to mind...) that would be just wonderful.

Cheers,

Paul

I don't watch a lot of TV, either, but sometimes we might want to watch a movie. If we had a newer flat screen, we could use it as the monitor for our netbook and get a decent picture. I think....

Some ships (Mariner and Radiance come to mind) have upgraded some cabins to flat screens, but not others. I had a D-2 on Mariner that was a CRT, while some friends in another D-2 had a flat screen.

When I was on the Norwegian Gem we had a flat screen in the bathroom, it was wonderful.

I relax watching TV, I noticed on the Mariner the flat screens were about 50%. We had a Junior Suite while the Grand Suites has the old Crts. I noticed some inside had lcds.

When I was on the Norwegian Gem we had a flat screen in the bathroom, it was wonderful.

I relax watching TV, I noticed on the Mariner the flat screens were about 50%. We had a Junior Suite while the Grand Suites has the old Crts. I noticed some inside had lcds.

Apparently, as the old CRTs are blowing out, they swap them out with flatscreens. Fair enough.

Could someone in cabin #1598 on Navigator please leave the TV on all the time if it is a CRT?:D

Everyone of course means "Flat Panel", not "Flat Screen"... a flat screen TV only refers to the curve of the screen itself, a CRT can be "Flat Screen".

Sorry to point this out.

And to the original question... a flat panel TV updates the look. We are going on Serenade this summer, and after looking at pictures of the rooms, it looks extremely dated. Royal could easily update the feel of the rooms by replacing the TVs. It shouldn't be very expensive either.

http://www.ergoindemand.com/about-flat-screen-flat-panel.htm

For me, all we do is look at the route of our trip occasionally. Other than that I never watch it. Personally I wish they'd take it out altogether. I would much rather have the counter space.

With a Flat Panel you have the counter space. I only use it to look at our location while my wife is getting ready.

122 sq. ft is "Floor Space" in the stateroom... TV's are NOT on the floor and has nothing to do with any sq.footage space savings !

It has to do with counter space. Flat panels are attached to the wall. It does give an appearance of more room.

At home here, I have a flat screen TV, and I have the old school CRT TV. They get essentially exactly the same picture.

Well then, you must not have HD hooked up to your flat screen. With HD, there is a huge difference. Either that, or you need to upgrade that flat screen.

Ok, will not having a flat screen TV really ruin your cruise?

At home here, I have a flat screen TV, and I have the old school CRT TV. They get essentially exactly the same picture. In cabin 6300 on the Explorer, back on the Feb 5th cruise, we had a CRT TV, and it worked just fine.

Dudes, can you possibly explain to me what is so all fired important to replace a perfectly functional CRT with a flat screen TV? I admit I am fully baffled ... I have better things to do on my cruise than to worry about something that picayune [i would rather spend my time worrying about having enough room for that extra dessert]

People that go on holiday to sit and watch TV really should just stay at home and send the money to me instead.

1) If you new flat screen gets exactly the same picture as your old CRT, you got gypped by whoever sold you the flat screen.

2) Cabins are small. Flat screens take up less space. Enough said.

3) Ugly wallpaper is "just as good" as attractive walls. Doesn't mean people would prefer attractive walls over ugly wallpaper. Same with appliances. Appearances count.

Don't be ridiculous how could it possibly affect your cruise.

Please explain.........

[quote name='twoputt.plusone']Yes I realize that but I don't need it there at all.[/quote]

That's true, I would hope that most do not need it there at all... but it does provide some useful functions, such as checking the balance of your card etc.

So if it is going to be there, Royal should act like any good hotel, and update the rooms. The way it looks now, I wouldn't be surprised if there were built in VHS players. :D

[quote name='twoputt.plusone']For me, all we do is look at the route of our trip occasionally. Other than that I never watch it. Personally I wish they'd take it out altogether. I would much rather have the counter space.[/quote]

Oh, no. I would never want the tv's removed. The tv's serve a lot more prupose than just news channels, or sitcoms. When I'm in the room, I almost always have the music channel, the excursions channel, or the GPS channel on. On the Radiance, the CD did a nightly show called "Mindless Chatter." It was hillarious to put it on and watch it prior to going to sleep.

Plus, it is great to view your SeaPass account.

[quote name='Aquahound']It has to do with counter space. Flat panels are attached to the wall. It does give an appearance of more room.

Well then, you must not have HD hooked up to your flat screen. With HD, there is a huge difference. Either that, or you need to upgrade that flat screen.[/quote]
No I don't have HD, and I rather doubt that the ship has HD - the cable reception sucked.

I am not going to pay for HD, to me it is a waste of money, I can see regular just fine. I don't spend my life watching TV, but it was mainly on for the positioning, and other ships information, and occasional movies. [actually at home I don't tend to watch most tv shows, I prefer movies]

And last I knew, you couldn't actually hook anything up to the ship TVs - I remember people commenting on various threads in CC that you couldn't hook up game systems or dvd players to the ship tvs ... though I did watch some dvds I brought along on my laptop [I have a rather nice 17" diagonal laptop that does a nice job as a monitor] while getting ready at various times.

[quote name='travelntreats']122 sq. ft is "Floor Space" in the stateroom... TV's are NOT on the floor and has nothing to do with any sq.footage space savings ![/quote]

True. However if the TV was on the counter, it would have taken up precious counter space and it would have made the room feel even smaller. The OP wanted to know why there should be flat panel TVs. The intent of my post was to say that by having a flat panel TV, it could be mounted on the wall out of the way thus making the cabin "feel" bigger. That is one reason to have them.

One of my big concerns with Explorer of the Seas is that the decor kinda looks dated from the pics I've seen. I'm sure we're still going to have a fantastic time but I do have to say the pictures of cabin decor in some of the newer ships is far more contemporary and to my personal tastes (and yes having a 'CRT TV' has a huge effect on the overall "dated" feel of the room).

Aside from aesthetics when my wife and i have travelled to Caribbean AI's we have always appreciated a decent TV in our hotel room.

In the evening while on vacation we often drink on our balcony, and then will cuddle up and watch a movie on the TV.

I don't understand all derogatory comments in this thread ....when paying a huge amount of money for a trip one is also paying for the overall experience. A flat screen shouts class, a CRT shouts welcome to 1999.

To be fair though to other posters I doubt i'll be watching much TV either ... still it would be nice if they put in TV's that don't look like they arrived from a 1970's underground ICBM facility ...

We were on the Voyager in Feb in an RFS, and we had 2 crt tvs. Sadly, the one in living room was losing its color and we had to call maintenance to fix it.

We had several kids in our party, so we did use the TVs for them- usually in the evening to wind down and get ready for bed.

Archived