Can you help me figure out ESP....any cons?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I used ESP....and so far have saved 290. Besides the 50 dollar penalty for cancelling....is there any other negative.

I'm just wondering if someone was pretty sure they are going on the cruise.....Is there ANY reason NOT to book ESP. Seems like prices usually drop???? Is this not true???

I think it would drive me crazy to see the price dropping and not be able to take advantage of it.

What do you think.....am i missing something???

Thanks

K

We booked ES this year and last and have enjoyed the price drops. We probably won't book ES for the next few years due to more unpredictable schedules because for the four of us the cancellation fee is $50 but the balance gets credited towards a future cruise that you have to take within a year of cancelling. So, we usually cruise in July so our final payment would be due this time of year. So, if we booked for next July and needed to cancel that cruise we would do so around April, so we would need to cruise by the following April. We don't like to cruise around Christmas b/c the prices are higher but we would be forced to cruise then( or lose $800) b/c that is the only time my kids (one in HS and one in college) have off at the same time besides summer.

And just in case you didn't know, anyone can get price drops b4 final payment. ES just allows you to get them after and up until 2 days of sailing.

We booked ES this year and last and have enjoyed the price drops. We probably won't book ES for the next few years due to more unpredictable schedules because for the four of us the cancellation fee is $50 but the balance gets credited towards a future cruise that you have to take within a year of cancelling. So, we usually cruise in July so our final payment would be due this time of year. So, if we booked for next July and needed to cancel that cruise we would do so around April, so we would need to cruise by the following April. We don't like to cruise around Christmas b/c the prices are higher but we would be forced to cruise then( or lose $800) b/c that is the only time my kids (one in HS and one in college) have off at the same time besides summer.

And just in case you didn't know, anyone can get price drops b4 final payment. ES just allows you to get them after and up until 2 days of sailing.

Ohhhhhhh.......that makes sense....thanks for clarifying:D

k

ALL rates get price drops up until final payment, so some of the $290 you saved might have been before final payment and anyone could have gotten it.

Several threads on here, where people found out, no you can never downgrade. If you see a guarantee, you cant ever downgrade.

No name changes. This one has gotten several people who assumed like all the other rates they could pay $50 and someone else could go in their place. There are NO NAME CHANGES. No even if you go into the hospital on death's door. No one can take your place if you cancel last minute.

ALL rates get price drops up until final payment, so some of the $290 you saved might have been before final payment and anyone could have gotten it.

Several threads on here, where people found out, no you can never downgrade. If you see a guarantee, you cant ever downgrade.

No name changes. This one has gotten several people who assumed like all the other rates they could pay $50 and someone else could go in their place. There are NO NAME CHANGES. No even if you go into the hospital on death's door. No one can take your place if you cancel last minute.

what do you mean.....if say my 2nd passenger dies/ill before my alaska cruise next summer.....someone could not go in her place after i have paid.....and if it was before...would i lose my deposit??

thanks

K

what do you mean.....if say my 2nd passenger dies/ill before my alaska cruise next summer.....someone could not go in her place after i have paid.....and if it was before...would i lose my deposit??

thanks

K

you could still go, but you cant subsitute another pax for $50 change fee like you can on every other rate.

The cabin is already paid for, so you can still go, but if you add another person, they will pay full fare. The deposit or whatever cancellation applies at the time (could be more than the deposit) will be lost.

No name changes and they have strictly enforced this rule. Some have been in ICU and not gotten exceptions. They assumed if they got really ill they could just get around the no name changes rule.. they couldnt.

Archived