Is a mini-suite worth it?

minniemom2009

I see we can upgrade from an inside room to a mini-suite for our May 1st cruise for ~$900. Are there any "perks" to being in a mini-suite other than the obviously larger room and the balcony?

There will be 4 of us in the cabin (me, DH, and 2 kids) and I know it would be cramped in an inside room, but we've done it before and still had a great cruise, so the size alone isn't my main consideration. I was more curious about whether or not there are any other benefits to being in a mini-suite.

The balcony alone would be worth it to me. If your kids are younger, they can go to bed and you can sit on the balcony having a drink and relax. Same for naps. If someone wants to sleep in, the drape helps and again makes that balcony very useful.

For a family of 4, a mini-suite might be favorable; might not. We were definitely more comfortable in one traveling with our son(s). They were teenagers though. An interior isn't so bad with little ones.

Rather than a lower pull-out bed and an upper pullman (meaning separate singles for each child), there is a full fold-out couch. The fold-out couch is doable, but very hard/uncomfortable unless you ask for extra padding (bed topper, crate foam, etc.)

It's true that most people don't spend a lot of time in their staterooms, but for us the balcony is a highly desirable benefit.

The curtain for separating the regular beds from the sitting area/fold-out couch is nice to have. Some may consider the bathtub a plus too.

You will also have a table that has more room for actually using!

Any idea how high off of the ground the lower pull-out bed is? We have a mini-suite for our May 15 sailing and are trying to figure out if we should bring the play yard or if the pullout will work fine.

I'd suggest bringing the play yard.

Height is about 18 inches or so. It maintains it's height when pulled out. The back of the couch merely goes down, while the cushion pulls forward. The length of the couch is what makes it a full size.

$900? How about upgrading to a balcony cabin instead? Is the price difference that great? To me, the mini suite is a glorified balcony cabin. We upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite for $75pp. If it were much more, I think I would take the extra $$ and use for shopping, on board account, spa, etc. Just me.

$900? How about upgrading to a balcony cabin instead? Is the price difference that great? To me, the mini suite is a glorified balcony cabin. We upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite for $75pp. If it were much more, I think I would take the extra $$ and use for shopping, on board account, spa, etc. Just me.

Minniemom2009 has 2 kids. The fold-out couch in a regular balcony is only a single, but now that you mention it there are some regular balconies with an upper pullman bed in addition to the fold-out couch. So if she can land one of them, it would be the better and less costly option!

My wife and I have cruised 6 times (5 RCCL and 1 NCL), and we just booked our next cruise on NCL (Dawn to Bermuda).

If it is just the two of us ... a Balcony is *MUST HAVE*, but we get the bare minimum Balcony Stateroom with an unobstructed view.

The above being said, we'll be including our daughter (soon to be 4 years old) on the upcoming Dawn / Bermuda cruise. For that, we felt that the extra room of the Mini-Suite, as well as the bathtub, was worth the extra cost.

Michael

My wife and I have cruised 6 times (5 RCCL and 1 NCL), and we just booked our next cruise on NCL (Dawn to Bermuda).

If it is just the two of us ... a Balcony is *MUST HAVE*, but we get the bare minimum Balcony Stateroom with an unobstructed view.

The above being said, we'll be including our daughter (soon to be 4 years old) on the upcoming Dawn / Bermuda cruise. For that, we felt that the extra room of the Mini-Suite, as well as the bathtub, was worth the extra cost.

Michael

Plus when the couch is folded out in a regular balcony it blocks the path to that "must have" balcony! Wouldn't want to wake the little one on the way! :D;)

My family (DH and 2 kids) have booked a mini-suite for our upcoming cruise. We have 2 young children. Every bit of extra space with small children is helpful. More important is the curtain that seperates the sleeping areas. If you don't all want to go to bed at the same time, this is essential!

I don't think a mini-suite is worth the price. On my last voyage I booked the lowest guarantee balcony cabin and the upgrade fairy spread her pixie dust and I ended up in a mini-suite. While a mini-suite was nice, so was that balcony cabin...

Mini Suites are nice, I book them myself. But, my point is, forget the play yard. Call NCL Passenger Relations and ask them to provide one for you. They should be able to. They offered me one for my upcoming cruise on the EPIC in addition to a high chair for use in the dining rooms.

~Intrepid <--- less to carry on the plane!

We are booked in a mini suite for our med sailing this summer on the Jade. We have 2 young children and I think it's going to be a perfect cabin for us BUT, we are also looking into the 12 day to Egypt next Spring and there is NO WAY that we can afford the mini suite for that - or a balcony for that matter. It is a $3,000 difference from interior to balcony. YIKES.

So, my question was to those of you who have had 4 in an inside - was it OK? I mean, it's really either that or don't go from our perspective. We can't spend $7K just on the cruise fare. Does anyone have pictures? Is it two uppers? I would really appreciate any info!

Thanks so much!

angie

We are booked in a mini suite for our med sailing this summer on the Jade. We have 2 young children and I think it's going to be a perfect cabin for us BUT, we are also looking into the 12 day to Egypt next Spring and there is NO WAY that we can afford the mini suite for that - or a balcony for that matter. It is a $3,000 difference from interior to balcony. YIKES.

So, my question was to those of you who have had 4 in an inside - was it OK? I mean, it's really either that or don't go from our perspective. We can't spend $7K just on the cruise fare. Does anyone have pictures? Is it two uppers? I would really appreciate any info!

Thanks so much!

angie

We book 4 in one inside cabin because of cost and it's doable. Each ship may configure their quads differently but on the Sky it was one pullman and a pull out love seat plus the twin beds. Next year we are graduating to oceanviews:D.

Archived