What is good to do in Mykonos, Rhodes, and Sicily?

Solstice23

Hello Fellow X board

We could use some recommendations on what we could do in Mykonos,Rhodes,Sicily ? We are not fans of any bus tours, But are interested in active tours, and or Roman ruins etc, Also we would like to have 1 beach afternoon on this cruise at some point.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

Rhodes and Mykonos are perfect to walk around on your own-very small islands-go for the gyros ;) and Sicily has many private van tours that will take you to Taormina, Castlemola (yikes-don't know how to spell that one) Mt Etna, Godfather country...do a search on the ports of call boards-

they are all WONDERFUL!

enjoy your trip!

:)

Robin

Hello!

Rhodes and Mykonos are perfect to walk around on your own-very small islands-go for the gyros ;) and Sicily has many private van tours that will take you to Taormina, Castlemola (yikes-don't know how to spell that one) Mt Etna, Godfather country...do a search on the ports of call boards-

they are all WONDERFUL!

enjoy your trip!

:)

Robin

Thanks

A trip to Delos while in Mykonos is not to be missed if you are into history and ruins. In Rhodes we had a half day private tour of the island with a taxi company, including the Lindos Acropolis, and then spent some time in the afternoon wandering the old part of town. In Sicily we went to Taormina with Celebrity (did the 'on your own' excursion) and that was good too - Greek amphitheatre, and time to wander and eat and stop in a local bar to have a drink and escape the heat.

Hello Fellow X board

We could use some recommendations on what we could do in Mykonos,Rhodes,Sicily ? We are not fans of any bus tours, But are interested in active tours, and or Roman ruins etc, Also we would like to have 1 beach afternoon on this cruise at some point.

Thanks in advance!

Taormina is an absolute must!!!!!

The old city part of Rhodes is easily walkable and lots of great shops and a wonderful plaza where you can sit and have a beverage and do some "people watching".

Mykonos is walkable and another great place to have a beverage and enjoy the view.

In Mykonos, yes Delos but it is tricky to go there without the cruise excursions - otherwise a great place to wander, tiny narrow streets, cute windmills on a hill overlooking the harbour etc. In Rhodes, again walk around or get a taxi inland into the middle of the island, lots of little towns and old churches

Do enjoy

In Mykonos do do Delios -- book the excursion through the cruise line early the number of tourists they allow are limited and I've seen this sell out pre-cruise on a number of cruises.

If you are not into ancient Greek ruins and/or time you'll have after Delios, Mykonos town is very walkable. Nice shops, outdoor cafes, et al. Easy walk to the windmills. Keep your eyes open for the pink pelicans.

In Sicily most here are assuming you are docking in Messina? Tauomina is a must see (ship tour ok, taxi is fine but be certain to negotiate the fare and the amount of time you'll have there). The views from the greek theatre are outstanding. The other mountain towns are also quite lovely.

In Rhodes the Acroplis at Lindos is very nice, but the city of Rhodes is right there and is a beautiful medivial walled city. Great history, lovely architecture, and good shopping. Walk off the ship and through the gates. Last time there I purchased a walking tour from Discovery Tours ($15) pre-cruise and downloaded it to our iPods. It was a nice way of figuring out what you were looking at and at your own pace.

Great ports, you should have a great time.

Mykonos: I suggest stopping by one of the nicer hotels for lunch and then you can use their beach.

Rhodes: Great port. Excellent shopping and history. Palace of the Knights was terrific. Rhodes Town is very easy to walk around. Best shopping port of the cruise. Nice shops and great quality. Don't know about the beaches but I am sure you can find one.

Taormina: Took "Taormina on your own" with Celebrity . Several nice hotels with beach access. You should look at Tripadvisor. Corso Umberto for shopping and lunch was nice. However, still prefer Rhodes.

We are using Sicily Life Tours for Messina. We have used them before and had a great experience. We are doing their "godfather" tour this time, which also takes us to Taormina for a few hours of free time. Taormina is fabulous! We don't do ships tours either; we prefer doing our "tours" on our own with a private driver so we can be flexible with our day.

We have not yet been to Mykonos, but that is our beach day. There are several really nice beaches relatively close to the port. If you search these boards, there are links to info on the beaches.

Rhodes for us will also be an on our own day. We are planning on on spending some time wandering around and may do another beach.

We are using Sicily Life Tours for Messina. We have used them before and had a great experience. We are doing their "godfather" tour this time, which also takes us to Taormina for a few hours of free time. Taormina is fabulous! We don't do ships tours either; we prefer doing our "tours" on our own with a private driver so we can be flexible with our day.

We have not yet been to Mykonos, but that is our beach day. There are several really nice beaches relatively close to the port. If you search these boards, there are links to info on the beaches.

Rhodes for us will also be an on our own day. We are planning on on spending some time wandering around and may do another beach.

Thanks for the info,

we usually do 50-50 when it comes to on our own / private tours and then 50% ships tours as some are great and reasonable

Our only reservation is we have had family members miss the ship because a private tours limo broke down that's the only concern.

So far I think we will do the ship tour to Delos on Mykonos as it's a fare price and still leaves us more then 5-6 hours to wander on our own after. As for Rhodes we will do our own walking tour then enjoy some Greek beer and shops. Sicily were not sure if we should do a private tour ?? Any links ??

Thanks again

Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a questions about Delos.;)

I have been to Ephesus and will be going back for my next cruise. ;) Having seen Ephesus, is Delos still worth a visit, or would you spend a lazy afternoon walking around Mykonos? My DH says that if you've seen one set of ruins, you've seen them all. I think he would rather go to a Greek beach.

Any suggestions for a good hotel and beach?

Archived