Friends in Cancun when we dock at Cozumel...Is this nearby?

LastofSeptember

Our friends aregoing to be in cancun when our ship arrives in Cozumel, they said they would come see us for the day (they'll be there for a week), I'm just wondering if this is feasible? They've never been to either place before so I didn't know if they were right thinking that it would be easy for them to just pop over to Cozumel for the day, I really hope it is, I just don't want to get my hopes up if it isn't likely...Any thoughts?

It is definitely doable, but may be difficult finding each other if neither of you know your way around.

The commute from Cancun to Cozumel is a 1.5 to 2 hours process. Taxi, car or bus from Cancun to Playa del Carmen is roughly 45 minutes.

Ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel is 35 to 40 minutes roughly. The busses run regularly from the bus station in Cancun every 10 to 20 minutes. Ferries from PDC to Coz run almost every hour on the hour.

First ferry across is 5:00 am, last ferry across from Cozz to PDC is 10:00 pm.

I have to agree with Serene....what if the ferry breaks down or something? Let your friends come to you, as the past post says they have a hotel but your ship leaves at a certain time! If your friends do not want to come to Cozumel then there's your answer why should you? Just trying to make you feel better if you guys can't hook up. :)

As Girasol has already said, it's quite do-able for your friends. But they'll be in for a pretty long day of it. Taxi from the hotel zone to the bus station. That will be expensive. Nice AC'd buses leave from INSIDE the bus station -- don't take one unless you've bought your ticket inside -- every 20 minutes for Playa del Carmen at a cost of around 3 pesos. AC and movies on board. Trip is 50 minutes.

The ferry pier is 1.5 blocks from the bus station and down hill. One of the ferries is running a special at the moment only $20 pesos each way whereas normally it is $100 pesos each way. So around $2 as opposed to $10 US.

Ferry takes 35-40 minutes and you';re there. If the ocean is really rough that day, tell them to get a little bonine and take ahead of time. I would suggest you all meet someplace uncrowded where you're unlikely to lose each other. Like the restaurant in the Musuem which is 3 blocks north of the ferry pier.

Archived