Steak lovers: what do you think of Chops?

I find Chops to be absolutely worth it. However, we are wanting to save time (meals in Chops are typically 2+ hours) and money so we'll be getting the Chops filet in the dining room once or twice on our next cruise. It's $14.95 instead of $25.

I agree that Chops filet ordered/eaten in MDR is a great alternative and value. Otherwise, we prefer the wider variety in Portofino even though I usually get their filet. Wife often picks grilled sea kabob. Nice service/ambiance too.

HAPPY CRUISING

RCL advertises, "Our own Angus" which is a meaningless statement. The ONLY steak grading that is official is the USDA grading.

And there the top grade is USDA PRIME.

After that comes USDA CHOICE and then USDA SELECT.

And the statement must be complete with USDA PRIME. Words like, "Our specially selected Prime beef," mean that it is NOT USDA PRIME quality. Could be Choice beef, which is quite good and you get that at good butcher shops. But a USDA PRIME steak cannot be bought raw for $20, $25.

Our butcher sells USDA prime NY steak for about $26/pound (I've never done it, but the price is on the case), so I'd say that you can...:)

krisko, make sure you're actually getting the filet you ordered. Rolloman recently returned from (Liberty? Freedom?) and reported that they served him the every day sirloin. He had to complain to the headwaiter to get his Seapass card credited.

Our butcher sells USDA prime NY steak for about $26/pound (I've never done it, but the price is on the case), so I'd say that you can...:)

When I said $20, $25 I assumed that anyone would realize it meant PER POUND. Sorry if I wasn't clear. And thanks for the confirmation.

When I said $20, $25 I assumed that anyone would realize it meant PER POUND. Sorry if I wasn't clear. And thanks for the confirmation.

I just want to be clear. Are you saying Chops does not serve USDA Prime? I've been told it does by Chops staff, so I'd like to see something saying otherwise.

Just curious, I've read that Supper Club does. It that true?

I just want to be clear. Are you saying Chops does not serve USDA Prime? I've been told it does by Chops staff, so I'd like to see something saying otherwise.

RCL once advertised that Chops served Angus beef. THAT does not mean USDA PRIME. Now their menu says only aged beef. That does not mean USDA PRIME either. No place serves USDA PRIME and keeps it a secret.

Carnival's Supper club, now STEAKHOUSE, [$30.00pp] does list USDA PRIME aged beef. That alone would cause RCL to state USDA PRIME if they did serve it.

Many, many, places on land will state the word prime, or Prime, or PRIME on their adds or menu. All such claims ARE MEANINGLESS.

But, buy law, it must be inspected by and stamped by the USDA in order to use the departments designation, USDA PRIME.

Having eaten at both Carnival's Supper Club and Chops many times - my humble opinion:

Both lines have outstanding service in their respective specialty restaurants. Both have an excellent filet. RCCL's NY strip was not very good (I doubt it's prime), Carnivals' was excellent (I seem to remember it being advertised as prime).

In any case we love both restaurants and just choose something besides the NY strip on RCCL. By the way, the desserts are to die for at Portifino's

Lou

There is the possibility that they do not get all of there beef from facilities in the US and therefore can't label it as prime but it would be equivalent to prime.

Carnival's Supper club, now STEAKHOUSE, [$30.00pp] does list USDA PRIME aged beef. That alone would cause RCL to state USDA PRIME if they did serve it.

Well, that's what I was getting at. Supper Club is only $5 more, which tells me it is possible to buy a Prime cut of meat for $25.

By the way, Chop does serve USDA Prime. You should try it some time. It just might surprise you.

Not all countries use the US grading sysytems, some do have ther own!

You are correct. Many are similar to ours but do have some differences. Dan likes to pretend he knows what he is talking about but is just trolling.

Aqua you beat me to it $30 meal is less then 25/lbs

IF it is import it is most likely Canadian and perfectly safe. You have probably ate it at some point.

Not all countries use the US grading sysytems, some do have ther own!

There is the possibility that they do not get all of there beef from facilities in the US and therefore can't label it as prime but it would be equivalent to prime.

Are either of you stating that the meat served in the specialty restaurants are not US inspected?

Are either of you stating that the meat served in the specialty restaurants are not US inspected?

I have no clue where RC gets there beef from. My point was a BIG IF.

To go further into detail any imported beef must come from a USDA approved facility in approved countries. These facilities must comply to ALL USDA regulations. It is a long and hard process to get the approval. Without knowing your eating habits I would say it is likely you have ate Canadian beef.

The other poster was just pointing out the other countries use different grading systems.

You would have to ask RCL, as I do not have that inside knowledge, but they sail all over the world so it is unlikey that all of the meat comes from the US on all of the sailings. EG, I would be suprised if Indy, sailing from Southampton, got all her steak from the US, but I do not know.

I want to say "I would hope so," but I really have no idea how it works with cruises across the pond. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know where the RCI ships in Europe, Asia, and Australia get their meat, and how it's graded. Interesting.

But, I would think (or hope) the meat in Western voyages are from USDA approved inspection facilities, whether it be from the U.S. or not.

If interested here is the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service website dealing with importing meat.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/regulations_&_policies/Import_Information/index.asp

As was said previously I highly doubt that ships outside the US use American processed meat. The cost would seem to be too high.

I want to say "I would hope so," but I really have no idea how it works with cruises across the pond. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know where the RCI ships in Europe, Asia, and Australia get their meat, and how it's graded. Interesting.

But, I would think (or hope) the meat in Western voyages are from USDA approved inspection facilities, whether it be from the U.S. or not.

If the ships are filled in the US it would have to either A)come from a US processor or B)Be imported from a USDA approved facility from an approved country

If the ships are filled in the US it would have to either A)come from a US processor or B)Be imported from a USDA approved facility from an approved country

Sorry....I didn't open the link you posted earlier, but is it just U.S. and Canada with USDA approved facilities in the west? Something tells me Mexico, and central and south America are not included.

Sorry....I didn't open the link you posted earlier, but is it just U.S. and Canada with USDA approved facilities in the west? Something tells me Mexico, and central and south America are not included.

Most South American and several Central American Can

Mexico is only limited to the following

*Mexico approved to export only processed poultry products slaughtered under Federal inspection in the United States or in a country eligible to export slaughtered poultry to the United States.

There are about 33 countries that can import meat, poultry, and/or egg products.

I tried to cut and paste but it did not work.

Sorry the way I wrote about Mexico came out wrong. We can import meat from them.

Well, that's what I was getting at. Supper Club is only $5 more, which tells me it is possible to buy a Prime cut of meat for $25.

By the way, Chop does serve USDA Prime. You should try it some time. It just might surprise you.

I said YOU can't and I can't buy it for $25.00 a pound. A major consumer like a cruiseline and or a large restaurant CAN. There is a difference.

And Chops does NOT serve USDA PRIME. 'verbal' statements by waiters mean less than nothing.

And Chops does NOT serve USDA PRIME. 'verbal' statements by waiters mean less than nothing.

Nor does YOUR verbal statement that they don't. I happen to have been told it was prime steak by the Food and Beverage Manager on Liberty during the Welcome Back party. The Captain was also in the room and agreed. I think their word is more credible than another cruise line's cheerleader with his own agenda.

I happen to have been told it was prime steak by the Food and Beverage Manager on Liberty during the Welcome Back party. The Captain was also in the room and agreed.

Did he say USDA PRIME, or "prime"?

Archived