Baggage Fees

sgmburt

Can someone please tell me what to expect in the way of baggage fees on Continental? We will be flying to Seattle next month and haven't flown in years. Just hoping someone can give me and idea. Don't know how hard we will be hit with two pieces of checked luggage. Thanks!

Can someone please tell me what to expect in the way of baggage fees on Continental? We will be flying to Seattle next month and haven't flown in years. Just hoping someone can give me and idea. Don't know how hard we will be hit with two pieces of checked luggage. Thanks!

1st bag = $20

2nd bag = $30

Oversized/overweight bag = $150

1st bag = $20

2nd bag = $30

Oversized/overweight bag = $150

Keep in mind that if there are two ticketed passengers, and you each have one checked bag, then you only pay the first bag fee each, which is the $20 quoted. The airlines are very strict about baggage weight limits which I believe, nowadays, the limit is 50 lbs. Don't quote me on that because it used to be 70 lbs. and I don't know if that is changed. I would check for clarity on these limits and fees with Continental. It really is such a shame that the airlines have resorted to these nickel and diming tactics and confusing the h... out of us instead of just charging us a little more on the initial fare to begin with. JMHO

I think they are among the airlines that recently raised their fees to $25 for the first bag. If you have two pieces total, put one bag on your ticket and the other bag on the other ticket so you only have to pay first bag fees on each ticket, for a total of about $50.

You can find out exact charge at Continental's website. Also, many airlines discount the fee by $5 or $10 if you pre-pay online within 24 hours before boarding. So you might want to check the Continental website for that as well.

Here is the info, with link, to the Continental Airlines Web Site: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/checkbag.aspx

Checked Baggage Fees

Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) in exchange for the applicable service fees set forth below. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the width + height + depth of the bag added together. The fees are discounted for bags that are checked and pre-paid at continental.com. You may continue to check your bags at the airport or curbside for a higher fee.

Certain customers are exempt from paying the fees and will be allowed to check bags free of charge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions). These customers include:

The following customers will not be charged service fees to check a first or second bag:

• OnePass Silver Elite members and Star Alliance Silver members*
  • OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members**
  • First Class, International Business, and Latin Business Class customers**
  • BusinessFirst customers**
  • Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived
  • Continental Airlines Presidential Plus primary cardmembers will have their first and second checked-bag fees automatically waived
  • Any customer traveling on full fare economy class (Y) tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel+
  • U.S. military dependents traveling with U.S. military personnel on personal travel++
  • U.S. military dependents traveling on official business (with documentation)

Customers traveling with OnePass Elite members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel are also exempt as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including 10 or more customers.

The following destinations will not be charged service fees to check a first or second bag:

• Transatlantic service between the United States and Israel and India
  • Transpacific service between the United States (excluding Hawaii) and Japan and China
  • Brazil

The service fee will not apply to customers seated in First or BusinessFirst, OnePass Elite members, Presidential Plus primary credit cardmembers, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets, active military personnel or any customer traveling to/from Brazil.

* May check two bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height). For tickets purchased on or after October 19, 2009 for travel commencing October 27, 2009, Gold and Platinum Onepass Elite members will be allowed to check 3 bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) as measured above. Silver Onepass Elite members may check 2 bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157) as measured above.

** May check three bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height). For tickets purchased on or after October 19, 2009 for travel commencing October 27, 2009, First class, International Business, and Latin Business Class customers may check 2 bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157cm ) as measured above. Ticket must reflect confirmed seat for segment in which customer is checking in.

+ May check three military style duffel bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 115 linear inches (292 cm) (total length + width + height). May check three non-military style bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height).

++ May check three bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

If your baggage needs require you to check additional baggage, or baggage that is over the listed size and weight, please review the Excess Baggage policy.

Fees apply for certain economy fares between the destinations indicated below based on dates of purchase and travel.

You will need to click on the link I listed above to see what airports and other info (I cannot copy their plan)

* Customers who purchased tickets between July 21, 2009 and October 1, 2009, for travel on or after Aug. 19, 2009 will be charged $15 for their first checked bag and $25 for their second checked bag when prepaying at continental.com. Customers who purchased tickets between October 2, 2009 and January 8, 2010, will be charged $20 for their first checked bag ($18 if prepaid at continental.com) and $30 for their second checked bag ($27 if prepaid at continental.com). Customers who purchased tickets on or after January 9, 2010, for travel on or after January 16, 2010 will be charged $25 for their first checked bag($23 if paid online), and $35 for their second checked bag ($32 if paid online)

** Customers who purchased tickets prior to Oct. 2, 2009 will be charged $25 to check bags at continental.com or at the airport or curbside.

+ Fees apply to certain economy fares purchased on or after Nov. 1, 2009 for travel on or after Dec. 8, 2009.

++Fees apply to certain economy fares purchased on or after Nov. 1, 2009 for travel on or after April 1, 2010

There is even more info there that I have not copied and pasted for you here. I do hope this helps you though.

Joanie

I really appreciate all the good info. Now, is it possible to pack for two to go on a seven day cruise and stay under 50 lbs? This is really worrying me....

Thanks again!

Are you trying to stay under 50 lbs so that you take only one bag total??

Each 'first' checked bag can weigh up to 50 lbs. It's not that both bags together have a 50 lb restriction.

It CAN be done, with just one suitcase total though. We've done it for a Caribbean cruise. I took mix n match tops/bottoms and wore them more than once. Ditto for hubby.

For shoes I packed only my heels and sandals for my shoes and a pair of dress shoes for hubby.

Hubby wore the same tux for all formal evenings (sent shirt to laundry after each dinner). I had 2 dressy tops that I interchanged and wore with my black palazzo slacks.

The biggest challenge was the toiletries and other miscellaneous items.

We also had a carry-on though with a change of clothes for each of, as well as my jewelry, our cameras, and pills.

For most cruises though we each check a suitcase and each suitcase usually weighs 35-45 lbs. Obviously I take more 'stuff' as well as more clothes.

The airlines have to make a profit or they will not stay in business. They can get away with these luggage fees because they can not raise ticket prices and be competative.

We recently flew from San Diego to Orlando after a 33 day cruise and it cost me about $400.00 plus to check our bags. I did not blame the airlines I blame my wife for her shopping habits. One suitcase weighed 91 pounds.

I just say "YES DEAR" and pay the bill. It is easier after 45 years of marriage.....

Jim (without Ruth)

The airlines have to make a profit or they will not stay in business. They can get away with these luggage fees because they can not raise ticket prices and be competative.

We recently flew from San Diego to Orlando after a 33 day cruise and it cost me about $400.00 plus to check our bags. I did not blame the airlines I blame my wife for her shopping habits. One suitcase weighed 91 pounds.

I just say "YES DEAR" and pay the bill. It is easier after 45 years of marriage.....

Jim (without Ruth)

:eek:OUCH!!!! :eek:

And I thought hubby was bad!! When we went on our 2 weeks B2B Caribbean in February, I had 1 suitcase weighing in at a whopping 38 lbs (formal, casual and sleepwear and shoes.) Hubby had 2 suitcases on the other hand and each of them weighed in right at 50 lbs each.

When we came back, my suitcase had an additional 12 lbs (I bought a 10 lb round of Gouda cheese in St. Maartens and 3 cotton dresses) and hubby had to buy a rolling suitcase on the ship for all the souvineers HE bought. Hubby ended up paying an additional $50.00 for the additional suitcase...

I KNOW HOW TO PACK!!:D And hubby does not listen to me with what NOT to take....:rolleyes:

Joanie

Joanie...How much of what he took did he NOT use? Carolyn

Carolyn, would you believe he only used about 25% of what he packed? I kid you not! He decided ME stuffing the laundry bag was worth it both weeks to have the laundry service.... DUH!! That is what I'd told him while he was packing, use the laundry service and take 1/2 of what you think you will need....

MEN!!!:D

Joanie

Carolyn, would you believe he only used about 25% of what he packed? I kid you not! He decided ME stuffing the laundry bag was worth it both weeks to have the laundry service.... DUH!! That is what I'd told him while he was packing, use the laundry service and take 1/2 of what you think you will need....

MEN!!!:D

Joanie

Your hubby packs his own stuff? Wow. Mine lets me decide what to pack and then lets me pack it. He's in charge of making sure he has his prescriptions, etc. in his carry-on.

Your hubby packs his own stuff? Wow. Mine lets me decide what to pack and then lets me pack it. He's in charge of making sure he has his prescriptions, etc. in his carry-on.

Yes and he even washes all the clothes!! He decided after the 1st time I washed his clothes, 1 week after we married, that it would be best if he washed the clothes!! LOL! Pink underwear and Army BDU's will definitely make a man do things normally associated with the wife:D And he had been washing all our clothes since then, 39+ years now.

He also does a great deal of the cooking! BUT, he does NOT do any cleaning:( That would really enhance my life:D:D

Joanie

My husband doesn't even take care of his prescriptions. That's my job. He leaves it all up to me to choose his clothes, (would serve him right if I only packed underwear for him :eek:), choose my clothes, make sure his pills are in the carryon and pack everything, including the carryons. The only thing he does is make sure he has his camera. I am even responsible for his spare pair of glasses. That man is SPOILED. :o

And on top of that he has the nerve to limit the packing to two checked bags each less than 45 lbs (so we can add a few lightweight souvenirs) and one or two carryons (his is a backpack, mine is wheeled). Luckily my purse is HUGE and will hold things like novels, a sweater, a water bottle (purchased inside security area), and snacks in addition to coughdrops, tissues, and the usual 'lady stuff'. :D

Go to the source: Continental's web page for luggage: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/default.aspx

Jim (without Ruth)

Well, we all know you don't travel like the rest of us! :D

Archived