First time cruising with 6mth old

Liesaj

My husband and I are considering travelling from Australia to cruise Oasis of the Seas in June 2010 - our son will be 6mth old by then. From what I can see, OofS only has sitters for 1year and older.

Can I have your feedback on whether cruising with a 6mth old is a good idea and any tips/experiences on this ship? Much appreciated.

My husband and I are considering travelling from Australia to cruise Oasis of the Seas in June 2010 - our son will be 6mth old by then. From what I can see, OofS only has sitters for 1year and older.

Can I have your feedback on whether cruising with a 6mth old is a good idea and any tips/experiences on this ship? Much appreciated.

You're talking about cruising two months from now, and I'm not even sure if you can get a triple cabin in any category! I'd be more concerned about flying for 30+ hours with a six month old.

You're talking about cruising two months from now, and I'm not even sure if you can get a triple cabin in any category! I'd be more concerned about flying for 30+ hours with a six month old.

It's 30+ hours but each flight is half that and at least a week apart.

Remember, at 6months, the baby sleeps most of the day, anyway. Active periods can be handled on a lap or the baby's seat.

At 6 months, most kids aren't crawling or running around... they're rolling. They just discovered they can lift their heads... and they're not rolling down an aisle like a barrel thrown from Donkey Kong... they flip over, and surprise themselves.

That was a nice time.

I'm not sure how much time you'll get alone without the baby if the Oasis's baby care program doesn't accommodate children under 1... Bring a nice umbrella stroller and have fun while the baby naps.

When we brought our daughter on a cruise when she was 18 months, no baby care program, but she just came along with us. Usually, she was sleeping in the stroller next to us while we ate dinner.

Oasis of the Seas has a daycare for babies that age! I'm not sure if they're charging or not, but this is different from the in-cabin babysitting. This is one of the big draws of Oasis--easier for you and Dh to have a little adult time. :)

I think it is a great time to travel. Our baby slept a lot, so the flight was no issue. Was at that smiley, happy stage so when she was awake, she loved the walks in the stroller seeing all the action. The other passengers were great - loved to visit with her (helped that she was awesome (not disruptive) in the dining room).

But, as pointed out, don't expect a lot of "quiet time". My husband and I took turns going out in the evening and covering off afternoon nap time. It was quite restful. I wouldn't hesitate to travel with a 6 month old.

I am thinking about the reposition cruise for an 8 month old......What about traveling in port....cabs Im assuming no car seat....and please dont report me yet!

FYI- Caribbean cruises allow you to travel with a child who is 6 months old. International cruises require that the child be 12 months or older.

For the o.p.

Things you need to know:

1. Pack enough diapers, wipes, etc for the entire trip if you are loyal to your brand of diapers and wipes. If not pack enough for the first 3 days (just in case of flight delays) and then purchase more when you arrive in the states. Do not expect to find any small sized diapers on the ship.

2. Bring children's Tylenol or whatever type of fever reducing/pain meds for your child. Also bring any type of medication you think they might need on the trip. Bring a thermometer just in case too. (I believe in warding off evil spirits. Plus no one want to call the infirmary in the middle of the night for Infant tylenol because they don't have it in the gift shop.)

3. 2 changes of clothes for your child for the flight and one for you. (Just in case. Put them in gallon sized ziplock bags so that when something gets soiled you can seal it up. :))

4. Bring enough formula for the trip. Don't forget bottles, a little dish soap and a bottle brush. :)

5. I don't think RC has laundry facilities. You have to pay to have items cleaned. Bring some travel sized laundry detergent to do laundry in your sink for the baby. Also if you have plastic grocery bags take a stash with you to tie the diapers up before tossing them into the trash. It will help keep your room smelling better.

6. As another poster said a good sturdy reclining umbrella stroller is a must have!

It's 30+ hours but each flight is half that and at least a week apart.

Remember, at 6months, the baby sleeps most of the day, anyway. Active periods can be handled on a lap or the baby's seat.

At 6 months, most kids aren't crawling or running around... they're rolling. They just discovered they can lift their heads... and they're not rolling down an aisle like a barrel thrown from Donkey Kong... they flip over, and surprise themselves.

That was a nice time.

I'm not sure how much time you'll get alone without the baby if the Oasis's baby care program doesn't accommodate children under 1... Bring a nice umbrella stroller and have fun while the baby naps.

When we brought our daughter on a cruise when she was 18 months, no baby care program, but she just came along with us. Usually, she was sleeping in the stroller next to us while we ate dinner.

15 hours from Australia to Florida? Maybe on the now defunct Concorde! It's about 15-16 hours just from Australia to LAX non-stop! Last summer, DD, Hubby, and kids (including the 6-month old) flew from EUG - ATL...about 7 hours in the air. Flying with this sweet, rolling-over, trying to crawl, months into lifting head baby, was an experience they don't want to repeat anytime soon! The longest non-stop flight I was on was 10 hours, and I was ready to smoke in the bathroom! And I don't even smoke!

This reminds me of a funny OT story. I had five kids, and none of them broke any records with the birth weight, crawling, walking, talking thing. We live in what I call a "Granny Community", so Grandkids are often the topic of conversations. One neighbor had her first grandson after several granddaughters about three years ago. So very proud! And vocal! First, he weighed 6 pounds at birth. A few weeks later, he weighed 10 pounds at birth. Then, he rolled over at four months, but a few weeks later, he rolled over at two months. Then, he crawled at eight months, but a few weeks later he crawled at four months. He walked on his first birthday (we were there to see the hand-held toddling steps), but a few weeks later, he walked at nine months. A couple of months after that at a lovely community dinner in our Clubhouse, he walked at six months. At this point, he's a cute little normal 3-year old, but it's wierd that he weighed 30 pounds, walked, and recited War and Peace in utero!

Let's put aside the insane plane ride (I'm with Imsulin on this one -- it would be insane, sorry :()

But IF, you decided to brave the plane ride....

Oasis does accept babies as young as 6 months for their sailings. Oasis is only doing Caribbean sailings -- so no issues there. They will charge full 3rd/4th rate for the 6 month old.

You can use the nursery and they will charge for that -- I am unsure of those rates (haven't seen those published yet)

The 3rd/4th rates for Oasis are pretty steep right now. So look ahead to the Allure/Oasis sailings for next year -- they are more budget friendly (if that's a concern)

You can use the nursery and they will charge for that -- I am unsure of those rates (haven't seen those published yet)

THis was posted by you several months ago Crusinmama-

Nursery On Oasis Of The Seas Details

Undoubtedly one of the most anticipated innovations from Royal Caribbean is our addition of the Babies and Tots Nursery. This colorful new space will serve as a fully-staffed nursery where children can be left in the care of our trained professionals, as well as host to various playgroups created by Fisher-Price® and Crayola® for babies and tots aboard our cruises.

The nursery will offer parents a drop-off options in the daytime and evening, while always maintaining an optimum staff-to-child ratio. Free-time play will also be offered daily, providing a chance for parents and their young ones to bond while playing with a variety of developmental toys from Fisher-Price in specially-designed programs available exclusively for guests of Royal Caribbean.

In addition, the Crayola Beginnings line of art tools will be featured in unique developmentally-focused art activities so parents and their children can enjoy some memorable creative moments together.

General Info

This experience is exclusive to our newest ship, Oasis of the Seas.

There are 2 age groups: Babies (6-17 months) up to and including 1 day less than 18 months.

Tots (18-36 months). Times will be booked under the child's name, and guests will be asked to submit the birth date and the website will calculate the child's age at time of sailing. Each child must be booked separately. Each child may be booked for a maximum of 12 hours on all sailings. Each session must be a minimum of 1 hour and the maximum session length is 6 hours. There is no maximum sessions in 1 day (someone can book a morning and an evening session in the same day if they would like). Sessions can be booked in 30 minute increments (2 hours, 2.5 hours, 3 hours, 3.5 hours, etc). If there is an attempt to book less than 1 hour, guests will be notified that the session minimum is 1 hour. Please note:

Families need to visit the nursery on Day 1 before 10:00 pm to:

Confirm bookings

Register children

Receive a phone to stay in touch with Nursery (phone does not work off the ship). Failure to do this will result in a loss of online bookings. Bookings can also be made onboard, but it is recommended to book online as space is extremely limited.

Cost

The charge is $8 per hour, per child. This can be charged in hour increments (minimum session charge is $8 for 1 hour even if child is picked up early).

thanks for the info - thinking we will brave the flight - it is actually 13.5 hours from Sydney to LAX and we plan to stay in LA a couple of days before heading to Florida to break up the trip.

The details on the web for Oasis of the Seas was a bit unclear re the nursery. From what I could see there is no babysitting in room for babies under 1 year but I understand there is a nursery for bubs 6months where you can leave them if need be for a period of time.

I am thinking about the reposition cruise for an 8 month old......What about traveling in port....cabs Im assuming no car seat....and please dont report me yet!

What cruise line are you considering? Most have age minimums of 1 year (12 months) for repositioning (trans-oceanic) and certain other itineraries. They will not budge on the age restriction, not even by a day. You'll need to check the requirements for your specific cruise line. Medical facilities onboard are not equipped to handle dire emergencies for infants, which is one reason the restrictions were put in place. Babies that young can go from perfectly healthy to very much not healthy in a short time. In the middle of the Atlantic and several days from any port, the cruise physician would likely not have everything needed to care for a critically ill baby. (Heaven forbid, but it has happened.)

As for car seats, it depends on the port. Some ports, the cabs don't even have seat belts, so you couldn't install a car seat regardless. Other locales require that car seats be used in all vehicles, including cabs. You'd need to bring your own or request a cab that has on onboard (not typical).

Also, you need to seriously consider if it's a good idea to book a repositioning cruise with an 8 month old unless and until you know how the baby travels. It would be a shame to discover on day 1 of 7 days at sea that the baby doesn't take well to long trips (different schedule, new surroundings, etc.) at that age. Not all do. It's a good idea to have short "practice" getaways first, both to see how the baby travels and to allow the parents to figure out what they need to bring and what they packed, but didn't need after all.

beachchick

Archived