Dislocated my ankle on the Flowrider

I was on the April 3rd sailing of the Indy. My family of 4 decided that we would rent out the flowrider for an hour as it was Spring Break and we thought it would be a great opportunity to get some quality time in. None of us had taken the time to do it on our past cruises.

Long story, short, I was the last to get on and was really enjoying it and having a great time when one of the instructors was trying to get me to do some extra moves and in trying to hear her, I lost my concentration and started slowly rising toward the back of the machine. Next thing I knew I was flying into the back of the wall. It happened so quickly and with such force...my leg was extended and completely knocked my ankle out of place.

The flowrider staff was awesome...they kept me calm, comforted me until the medical personnel could show up. There was some confusion and they sent up a wheelchair initially. They got that figured out, sent up the stretcher and guerney and got me down to the medical center. I had x-rays on board and was put to sleep so the doctor could put the ankle back in place. Luckily, I didn't have a fracture, but when I woke up I was informed that my husband was packing so we could leave the ship (we were in Puerto Rico). I asked the doctor why we had to leave since I didn't have a fracture and didn't need surgery and he agreed we could stay on board. Unfortunately, my husband had completely packed both of our cabins.

I was in a wheelchair and had crutches for the balance of the trip, but we tried not to let it keep us from enjoying the rest of the trip. The cost of the flowrider rental was reimbursed automatically, but the medical costs were over $1900. Thankfully, we had trip insurance and we will get this reimbursed as our medical insurance has a high out of network deductible.

It was a fluke accident and I don't blame anyone, however we ran into so many on board who were totally shocked that this could happen on the flowrider (that is why they make us sign waivers), so I thought I would share it with the board. Be cautious because as they say, serious injuries CAN occur. I am in a cast-like splint and will most likely be in a walking boot for several weeks, accompanied by physical therapy. It's a bummer, but it could have been much worse.....

So sorry you were injured! That is awful but your attitude is a refreshing change. Instead of screaming about suing or demanding a free cruise you are treating it as what it was- a freak accident. I'm glad you were able to finish your cruise and hope for a full and speedy recovery. Take care,,, Jim

Sorry you got hurt:( Every time I see a picture or video of the flowrider- it scares the living daylights out of me- looks fun, but very scary. That's one activity I won't be signing up for.

KLove-

I feel for you. My son had an accident on the ice rink onboard the Mariner. He fell, broke his wrist, and is still in a cast. I, too, had a great experience with the staff. They right away offered to take us to the infirmary for an xray. This was no one's fault, just a freak accident and could have happened just as easily at home at our local rink. Hopefully he will get his cast removed next week. Accidents do happen; skaters and surfers beware! Hope you get well soon.

So sorry you were injured! That is awful but your attitude is a refreshing change. Instead of screaming about suing or demanding a free cruise you are treating it as what it was- a freak accident. I'm glad you were able to finish your cruise and hope for a full and speedy recovery. Take care,,, Jim

I agree with what Jim said. Glad to see you didn't immediately dial 1-800-LAWYERS

Ow!!! I feel for you. My brother dislocated his ankle playing raquetball. So badly his tibia literally hit the ground. I've never seen anything so black and blue in my life! Yes, those kind of accidents can happen anytime, but usually whilst doing something fun!:rolleyes: I do some pretty high risk activities myself, I've been lucky so far (knock on wood).

Hope you have speedy recovery. My brother ended up needing surgery for his years later, but he is an active mountain climber and ski mountaineer, so he was really rough on that ankle. So glad you were able to stay on the cruise. If I was stuck on crutches, I'd want to be somewhere that I could get the cooking and cleaning done by someone else!

I am so sorry that happened to you. I commend you on your perseverance and strength to carry on with your vacation.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for taking the time to give us all a reminder about the possibility of injury, even on vacation.

Take care,

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! It definitely could have ruined our vacation, but I really tried to look at the positives and not let it get me or my family down. Absolutely agree about the necessity of travel insurance. I actually bought the insurance a few days before we left. I forgot to do it when we first booked and kept procrastinating. Something just kept nagging me to do it. I will never travel again without it.

... Luckily, I didn't have a fracture, but when I woke up I was informed that my husband was packing so we could leave the ship (we were in Puerto Rico). I asked the doctor why we had to leave since I didn't have a fracture and didn't need surgery and he agreed we could stay on board. ...

Sure sign of a real cruise-a-holic. First question after coming out of anesthesia "Why do we have to leave?" Basically saying I'm not going to let a little dislocated ankle stop me, I want to keep on cruising!

Awesome response, I think I would do something similar.

KLove-

I feel for you. My son had an accident on the ice rink onboard the Mariner. He fell, broke his wrist, and is still in a cast. I, too, had a great experience with the staff. They right away offered to take us to the infirmary for an xray. This was no one's fault, just a freak accident and could have happened just as easily at home at our local rink. Hopefully he will get his cast removed next week. Accidents do happen; skaters and surfers beware! Hope you get well soon.

I am so sorry to hear about your son. I hope everything goes smoothly with his cast removal.

It was a fluke accident and I don't blame anyone, however we ran into so many on board who were totally shocked that this could happen on the flowrider (that is why they make us sign waivers), so I thought I would share it with the board. Be cautious because as they say, serious injuries CAN occur. I am in a cast-like splint and will most likely be in a walking boot for several weeks, accompanied by physical therapy. It's a bummer, but it could have been much worse.....

You have the right attitude about this whole thing. Sorry to hear about your injury. Ankle injuries can be very painful. I had my big toenail ripped off. That was painful enough!

Wow, refreshing great attitude.

We were on the Liberty in December and I did not even try the Flowrider. I have seen too many videos on YouTube that had me cracking up and I certainly did not want to be the butt of anyone who happened to have a video camera. Yes, pun intended! :D

These kinds of accidents are just symptomatic of the trend of cruise ships to become centers of overstimulation rather than a relaxing ride to

an enjoyable beautiful destination.

I spilled my drink of the day once. That was enough upset for me.

I don't need to ride a zip line. Get me to an island beach.

I AM sorry that you got hurt, but then again you knew there was a risk.

Nice report and thanks for not blaming RCL and NEVER sailing again. I hope you get well quickly.

I do know that when it first came out many of the ladies lost some of their swim wear while on it. I gathered they have changed the policy a bit about using it now. Quite a crowd would gather to sneak in a peak. :eek:

These kinds of accidents are just symptomatic of the trend of cruise ships to become centers of overstimulation rather than a relaxing ride to

an enjoyable beautiful destination.

I spilled my drink of the day once. That was enough upset for me.

I don't need to ride a zip line. Get me to an island beach.

I AM sorry that you got hurt, but then again you knew there was a risk.

Boy you really know how to bring down an upbeat and positive board. If you took lessons you got your money's worth.

Klove613 you have a great positive attitude and it is nice to see that there are still people who do take credit for their own actions. I am sure that your children will grow up with the same attitude and make wonderful adults. Hope you are back on your feet (no pun intended) soon.

Archived